need help in deciding what to buy!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Feb 17, 2007.

1. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

thts gud.. but howcome you bought one... i see a thread ur selling it

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

DUDE! theres a laney LX65 if u want...should be around 13k..

3. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

Threesome anyone?

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

join in!...we werent having that much fun..:p

5. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I bought the Ibanez 6 months ago. It gave some problem so i sent it back and got a new piece from Japan.

As for guitars..
    i love this:
    https://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILPC

Please buy it in white! lol i love that guitar...and if u do buy it i suggest you put a
    Seymour Duncan JB
    Seymour Duncan Jazz
    ....You can do that later on in life also. get the feel of the guitar for a while...learn it(i mean learn the guitar not learn how to play...become friends with your guitar before taking it into the operation room)

Cheers,
    Laney

7. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It's up to you mate, if a new LP is the way you want to go that's all fine.

IMO none of us (on this thread) are at a stage where we can say that an LP is more comfortable/better sounding than an SG. You and I are still learning the guitar, our hands can adapt to different fingerboards too, so that's not an argument either.

When you're getting a great deal on a guitar that is just as good as other guitars you're looking at I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. Is it because it's 2nd hand? If I had had the money for it it would have been mine.

You will hopefully see sooner rather than later that the amp is a much bigger investment. Like I said before you don't have to go all out on a 250W amplifier, but you have the money to buy a good tube amp or a decent solid state if that's what you prefer. Tubes require more maintenance, and great care. Performance comes at a price. ;) Solid state amps are basically good (hmmm) from the get go.

Analog pedals are meant to drive tube amps at low volumes. The "great tone" that everyone talks about comes from listening to them through tube amps. You can buy the bestest LP supreme and EHX Russian Big Muff and hear it turn to shit through a Stranger Cube 20M. Again though, tone is subjective.

@laneymaney: Have you heard a valvestate amp? I haven't, and even if I did I bet I wouldn't know the difference, so I don't think I would be qualified say that hybrid amps are as good as all tube amplifier or better than solid state. True distortion (classic rock) comes from pushing the poweramp stage (plus speaker breakup). I'm not bashing Laney amplifiers :sdt:

If you buy the Laney with the footswitch I don't think you'll really need a distortion pedal (or, depending on other effects available on the amp), any other pedal really. The sound should be what you want, not what other people say is good.

Don't buy a hybrid amp just because it has tubes. If you have a chance to play different amps and guitars, those experiences take priority over any advice (other than about the build quality I guess). It's your money after all :)

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Most laneys above 10k come with the FS-2 Pedal :p.

And yea ive heard some tube combo amps. They were kool...but i dont see why people say "Solid State is soo noob" . Tubes are great i understand.

And the thing is that Epiphone is pretty expensive for a second hand and since he can get US prices in Hong Kong he should waste time paying extra here for something he can get less there.

I think a 10-15k amp is MORE THAN JUST ENOUGH....

*Before this becomes a controversial(sp?) thread id like to say that everything i ever said was "IN MY OPINION" and i dont see the GREAT HYPE about Tubes* sorry..

9. thehundredthone

Solid states don't sound bad. What I'm saying is that tone is subjective, but tubes do sound awesome. Strangers do sound bad. It has all to do with the circuitry and speakers.

What I'm also saying is that buying an analog pedal and putting it in front of a solid state amp isn't going to sound like what you think it is. It's going to sound great with a tube amp, but not noticeably different with an SS amp (although MUCH better than a 505II)

The Epiphone comes with a flight case that would cost around $80-100. None of the LP's online come with a hard case. Also, the price is negotiable. Though I doubt he'll give it up for 15k, I don't think 17k is a bad price at all.

Why is it that 2nd hand should cost half the price? What does it do to the guitar if someone else has owned it? Does it affect the sound? It's like the whole Indian men want virgin brides deal.

I think tubes are great, but not overrated, depending on the sound you want. You won't get SRV breakup on any solid state amp. You won't get great picking dynamics either. And all your volume control will do through a solid state amp will be to reduce the volume, not go between clean and driven. You won't get bearable poweramp breakup on any solid state (ever tried pushing a MG10 amp to full?)

A lot of guitarists use solid state amps. Both types of amps are great. Just not for all styles of music.

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

heheh and i didnt mean that the epiphone was worth less..i know for a fact too that people think used has to be cheap cus im trying to sell a BRAND NEW ibanez....and i havent got any offers that were legit...but the thing is this guy is GOING to a place that has everything for DEAD Cheap...he could probably afford a Dime Razorback there....

11. thehundredthone

He wants to play Classic rock, I think the SG is a steal, that's all. :)

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Tommy Iommi - SG - yea...would be killer....but let tha fellow go check out the guitars there...his mind will change...cmon when ur looking at Dimes, Charvels and shit LPs will just drop

13. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i would have thought of the sg if i could atleast play it... the guy is in bangalore nd i am in delhi... so theres no chance of me playing it nd surely i wont even buy a brand new gibson lp without playing it...

14. thehundredthone

He lives in Bombay.

@laneymaney: Classic rock on a Dean Razorback? And to think Leslie Lewis plays a Beast.

15. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

LOL...im just saying...he can get swayed away..

16. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Laney.............Taste the Sweet Mouth of thehundredthone ........DIE DIE DIE DIE :mad:.............Its your turn now :beer: :p:

17. thehundredthone

:shock:

Even if he did taste my sweet mouth, :Worried: there's no razor between my lips :Tongue2:

:protest: Post clips of your guitar!! :eek:fftopic:

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

yea u lazy *******...post some clips....u bunk col most of the time na?

19. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

20. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

^ and is the above laney a tube amp..
    also for just a 100 bucks more, it has a 120 watt model... whats the difference in sound quality between the two?