need help in deciding what to buy!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Feb 17, 2007.

1. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

hey guyz... im playing guitar for the last 2.5 years... im planning to buy my first electric after my boards but i am in serious confusion of what to buy...

1. The guitars i seem to like have 22 frets but i want a 24 fret guitar.. do the two extra frets really matter...

2.shoiuld i buy a good guitar and amp or should i buy a high end proccesor, mid level amp and a mid level guitar.... how important is a processor... can a good processor make an o.k guitar sound great..

3. I want a les paul but i havnt played one nd couldnt find one.... i ve heard its a little tough because it has a single cut nd how are epiphones cause gibsons are way out of my budget!!!!

4. what amp to buy.... i have a marshall 10w but i want a better one..

5. are proccesoors better of pedals..

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

whats your budget? i can help you if u tell me that

1.Two frets do not matter if ur comfy with 22

2.Need budget to say

3.Check out some Epiphones/Edwards guitars

4.Laney is my favourite but u gotta try out and find the tone ur looking for.

5.Pedals > Processors

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

my budget is 40-50k.. it includes the guitar, amp and effects.... ill get all the stuff from abroad... gooing there after my boards.

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

wow...u can get killer stuff for that much...high end guitar...high end pros and high end amp....

Now tell me what sort of music you see yourself playing :)

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I suggest this

25k for guitar
    15k for pros
    10k for amp...sound good?

6. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i im into old rock like maiden, led zeppelin, metallica, ac/dc, floyd, g'n'r, etc nd a little bit of metal like system of a down, marilyn mansion, rage against the machine..

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ya sounds good... i even like satriani and steve vai, kinda stuff

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

then id suggest something which has good pickups that handle gain...maybe Norton , JB...

Do you have any guitars in mind?

9. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i was thinking of a les paul...

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

hmm....so

Les Paul Shape
    Good Gain Pickups
    ...then...

set neck , neck thru or bolt on neck construction?

11. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i have absolutly no idea wat's the difference.... can u enumerate on those

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ok...a bolt on means the neck is bolted onto the body of the guitar...hence if anything happens u can make a new neck...this is like ancient now...but many famous players use it.

Set Neck is where the joint of the guitar to the neck is perfectly glued and the neck is firmly fitted into the body by the use of powerful glues. adds extrra sustain and all mid range (20-30k) guitars have it these days. Famour among Schecters and ESPs

Neck Through is where the neck is very long and te body is built around the neck like wings. This is found in the most expensive of guitars. and most of them are 1000$

I recommend a set neck...but its a bit risky cus we live in India....Setneck and Neckthru are ver very very comfortable

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  13. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ya ... set necks will be good but why are they risky..

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

cus since its glued on u cant keep removing and putting back necks like with bolt ons. And if ur neck completely warps (rare but concider it) you have to dig out the neck cavity and fit in a new neck which will cost you more than the guitar...i.e...ur fxxed....but id go with a set neck...

15. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

ok... so what guitar do you reccomend

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

17. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i really would like to own a l.p .. i think the l.p with quilt tops look good.. wat do you say..

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

yep....but i suggest you swap pickups to a Norton and a Paf or maybe JB and Jazz...it would turn out really nice...but i hope ur sure u want a LP

19. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

why... wat are the problems in an l.p (itz drawbacks)

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

no problems as such. I myself like the tone and look of LPs but im gonna buy a Normal shape cus its more convenient....just be sure u want ONLY les Pauls...cus there are a lot of amazing guitars out there.Specially schecters...they are totally worth the money