Need help in complex Chords..

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by selvapunithan, Mar 6, 2012.

1. selvapunithan

selvapunithan New Member

Hi,
    I'm a beginner.. desperately learning guitar.. i've been practicing chords for the past 2 months.. Still i'm getting confused( sometimes threatened by) chords like G7, G#7, Dm6, Cm9, Ebm, Ebm7, in some songs Gm15 also there.. this screws me to the extreme.. Please help me to figure out this.. What are these chords and how can i find them in guitar.. which is the easy way to understand them..

2. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

first of all Gm15 is not possible you may say G13 that is G dominant 13 again Gmaj13 wont be possible coz of perfect fourth....

okay for all this you need to know about scales for example i take C scale ...the notes which are there in C major scale are CDEFGAB so for triad chord (chord contain 3 notes)you take the alternate first 3 notes of the major scale that will be CEG...which when played together becomes Cmajor chord .now if i add the 6th note from the scale to the triad chord tones (i.e CEGA)it will be Cmaj6th chord ...similarly if you want to play Cmaj7th add the 7th note to the triad chord ...same with 9th ...for dominant 7th add the flattened 7th note ...that is Bb...

for this you must know the scales thoroughly...first practise triad and power chords because they are easy to play...

3. Sumanovo razor

i guess you become confused when you see # and b ...

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Forget these complex chords.

For now just learn the major, minor, augmented, diminished.
    1. Learn their particular sound
    2. Learn why they are named so
    3. Learn why you have to contort your fingers to achieve the particular chord shape.

Once you learn the above, you should be in a position to learn the more complex ones ...

5. selvapunithan

selvapunithan New Member

yup Sumanovo.. i was.. but not after your reply.. i manage to understand the chords after reading your reply.. :) thanks

6. wylder

wylder Member

Hey Sumanovo razor, great job on the theory. Just a clarification...

I thought C Maj + 9th = CMaj Add 9
    and CMaj 9 = C Maj + 7th + 9th

Similarly, C Maj + 11th = CMaj Add 11
    but CMaj 11 = C Maj + 7th + 9th + 11th and so on?

Also isn't Gmin13 possible? As in Gmin + b7 + 9 + 11 + 13?

7. Sumanovo razor

if the chord shape permits you to play all the notes i.e triad chord tones +7th note+9th then its fine

see if its a C dominant 9th chord then the notes used will be

C D E G Bb
    this is nothing but Cmajor +dominant 7th note+9th note

you may omit the root note ...the bassist will play the root note and the rest of the chord tones the guitarist will play and may be a substituted chord will be played by a pianist

Gmajor 13th is nothing but Gmajor6th where you have to play GBDE

if i want to play Cmin7th then i can play only C Eb Bb
    try this chord shape(x3134x)

G note is common to both Cmajor and minor so i wont be using it ...the Eb note itself will give the minor chord tone

gosh chord theory is so confusing

after knowing these chords i have started respecting rhythm guitarists ;)and it really pisses me off when people say melody is superior to rhythm

you know what its funny that i dont know how to play power chords but i know to play advanced chords like F#m7thb9

all the lessons which are given to me by my teacher are from the study material from berklee college of music...i have learned more than i had in the past 6 months

my teacher was a student of duke ellington who was a great swing jazzists .he used to provide him with berklee's study material for free...

8. wylder

wylder Member

Fortunately, I learned all this chord theory basics on keyboards so it was lot easier to visualize it.

In theory, you cannot omit notes off a chord and still call it the same chord. Eg: C Eb Bb would technically be Cm7no5.
    However as guitarists are limited by their instrument, they omit the notes that do not add as much effect/tension to the chord.

9. Sumanovo razor

ow i thought you are a guitarist...yes in keyboard its very easy to identify chords as well as play them....but in guitar its quite restricted thats why a keyboard player can play a seven note chord unlike a guitarist who can atmost play a 4 note chord

10. Sumanovo razor

i can see you have loads of gears...perhaps you play more of metal and hard rock stuff...

11. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

Damn guitar theory!!!

12. wylder

wylder Member

@Sumanovo razor: Yeah, I am a bits and pieces player who can play a mix of metal, rock and blues.

@amithkallupalam: More like music chordal theory - its common for all of western music. It is quite simple if you analyze and study it. Putting it to use is a whole different demon.

13. mayur_7393

mayur_7393 New Member

Hello friends,

Visit my blog

"https://beguitarist.blogspot.in/"

This will help you to go ahead in your guitar learning journey whether you be at a beginner stage or intermediate or expert...

I am sure it will help you...

You can comment your questions tooo.....

I will answer it as soon as possible