Need Help in buying new Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rnayak72, Oct 10, 2007.

1. rnayak72

rnayak72 New Member

Hi All,

I am a beginner buying my first guitar and need help. I stay in Bandra, Mumbai. I want to buy a basic acoustics guitar for beginners, Can any one help me & suggest

1. Which make & model should I opt for ?
    2. What will be the approx range (Cost) ?
    3. Where in the western suburbs of Mumbai can I buy it ?
    4. Will I need any accessories, if so, what ?

Please help me make a beginning ? Thanking you in advance

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

do what i did
    go to the nearest music shop and buy the cheapest one available...if you dont know any shops, look it up in the yellow pages
    as for accessories you will need to buy plectrums (picks)

3. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

u shud buy a gud guitar, but not too gud,
    a decent guitar can cost u anywhere frm 1200 - 5000.
    depending on ur budget.
    take an experienced guitarist with u,or else u may end up buying a damaged or improper guitar.
    accesories
    a set of strings, a few plectrums, and maybe a guitar chord chard and some theory, frm where to start(u'll get them from the net)

4. beowulf

beowulf New Member

If you are really serious about guitaring, I would suggest go for a good guitar to begin with. No point spending now and then buying again after a year. If you are not too sure, go for something cheap and take somebody along.
    I had the same questions a few months back and I went to a lot of places in Mumbai. Here is what I feel about brands:
    1. If you have the budget (abt5k+) pick up a yamaha (210/310). This one will last long
    2. Pluto: These are chinese and the finish is excellent...the sound is good, more towards bass. I have small hands and found it a bit difficult to hold this guitar. If you are comfortable holding it, its a good one. the jumbo HW41C costs about 3050 at music mall. there are some places who sell it for as high as 3900
    3. granada: dont know
    4. GBA : some korean make. the sound is sweet, but i dont know how it ages
    5. GiVson/Grayson : please dont put money into these
    6. Hobner: the 265 seems to be the fav with beginners. This one seems to be designed for beginners, the play (dist btn frets and strings) is less. its comfortable, thinner neck etc. But the finish sucks..!! If you want to buy a hobner (not homber or hobmer), make sure somebody is with you who knows their way around. There is a newer 265 like model with a round hole instead of the f cuts. but again, make sure you buy a good piece...

Do get a tuner+metronome if your budget permits...

If you are in mumbai, good places are Music mall for plutos and bhargavas. furtados.

HTH,
    Beo

5. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^^ granada is pretty good
    GBA i bought a new one lyk 6 mnths ago so i dunno how it ages....as yet atleast....
    Givson is crap.......
    Hobner quality wise only a lil better da givson.....bt gud ebough to learn on...
    Pluto i dunno....
    Yamaha rocks..... da best guitar u could opt for in - 5000 budget
    If i are putting up in Delhi :-

i have a musedo guitar tuner on sale.........it has metronome..and an inbuilt jackslot so da u could tune electrics wid it too....bougth it for 750 a year ago only......a clip on free wid it........
    resoan for selling it :- i gt a guitar wid inbuilt tuner..so dun not need it.
    sellin it for rs. 500....
    PM me if u are interested...