Need help for electric guitar and amp

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by jr_nitr, Nov 29, 2014.

1. jr_nitr

jr_nitr New Member

Hi friends,

I have been playing acoustic guitar since few years & now I am shifting to electric guitar. I have got a ibanez grg170dx & recently bought behringer hd300 heavy distortion pedal & a Kustom sound cube 20R amp.
    When I play it on clean the sound seems to be ok but when the distortion is on, the sound is horrible. Though I tried with different settings of amp & pedal both, still it annoys it badly when I switch to distortion.
    I am clueless as to what the heck is wrong. Pls help me guys…. :-(

n thanks in advance for all ur suggestions

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Horrible compared to what?
    How do you define horrible sound?

3. jr_nitr

jr_nitr New Member

With distortion on, it actually sounds like as if the amp is throttled & sound gets diminished .. cracked. Looks like as if the amp is out of its capacity to give the real crunchy tone of distortion

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For one, I don't believe that you will ever get a chance to crank 20W RMS amp to full without going deaf. So amp being out of capacity is not a probable scenario. (Though it is still possible).

1. Sound gets diminished - you need to turn up the sound level of your behringer pedal.
    2. Cracked - not sure about this, but distortion is ... well ... DISTORTION. It is supposed to sound distorted. Perhaps cracked.
    3. Keep the Distortion and Gain boost LOW.
    4. Play around with tone and bottom. Preferably keep the bottom at lo. Tone at somewhere midway to hi.
    5. Plug this into your computer (instead of Kustom) and post the recording here.
    6. There is a possibility that your are not liking the sound because Kustom is a keyboard amp. Which means it is neutral sounding. Most of the guitar amps have internal EQ circuit that is supposed to make the electric guitar sound better and sparkly.