Need help choosing a new keyboard

Discussion in 'Misc Musical Instruments' started by wylder, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wylder

wylder Member

Hi

I am a guitarist looking to get back in touch with my keyboard skills.

I intend on playing mostly blues and contemporary piano. I have played keys for just one show, and it was simple stuff like Coldplay - Fix You, Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes, Ozzy - Old LA Tonight.

With a budget of 30-40k, what is the best that I can get?
    I am looking for excellent piano and orchestral patches, good organ tones and useable synth tones.

Currently, the Yamaha MM6 is at the top of my list.
    Any PSR S550 / S700 users here?
    I had tried a couple of Roland boards in this range and was not very impressed. Any other suggestions?

2. justneedaguitar

justneedaguitar New Member

My suggestion go psr s550!!
    I have juno g!!
    was thinkin of psr 550 and s700 bt it was out of stock at many places!!!

3. wylder

wylder Member

Thanks man..

I tried the s700, tones were nice and features are cool but the price is a bit on the higher side. I might not need the styles either (which I think is the major difference between the S series and MM6.Am I right?).

Any experience with Korg boards? Is the TR61 worth the extra money?

From what I could understand, mm6 has neat tones..
    Check out this video I came across on youtube..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUKzWjDkvc

4. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

I own a Korg N364 synthesizer, it isn't a keyboard. I'm a happy user of this synth for years now.
    In the first place, you should go for the board you think the sound are sounding great, because thats the quality of keyboards/ synths. I can't tell you what sound is great because that is just depending on the listener, what i think is sounding well, is not necessarily that you should like it aswel!
    The Korg boards are just great with the piano and the strings and Roland is great with the brass sounds. I don't have any experiences with the Yamaha boards so i can't tell you anything about them.
    My advise, just go to a music store and try them all as you will be able to make the better choice!
    Good luck!

5. wylder

wylder Member

Thanks for the advice.. I think I should try out more boards before deciding on one.

Thing is I'm not too good on the keyboard right now. I don't know how much my taste for tones will change once I get both feet in it. So thought I'd take advice from guys like you who are experienced with good tones.

BTW, is the Korg N364 still in production or has it been phased out? And is it worth it to buy a used board - I mean do the electronics deteriorate with age?

Sorry for asking such newbie questions...

6. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

The N364 has been phased out for years now, bought it in 1997, so its 13 years old now, quit a long time, but i'm still satisfied with it. The main reason i didn't get a newer synth is, i am not in a band anymore so i don't need some newer stuff. I make my music using my PC as i mostly use the sounds from the VST instruments (Softsynths).
    It just depends on what you are willing to do, if you are planning to join a band, i then suggest to buy a good synth/ keyboard. Otherwise you can buy a second hand board.
    Good luck man!