Need Help About Accidental Chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by amitrichardxess, Mar 2, 2008.

1. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

Friends i need ur help in understanding the role and use of accidental chord in a chord progression of any scale. Plzz help me in understanding this concept.
    how these accidental chord make a song beautiful..........
    Also help in finding them in any scale.

eagerly waiting for ur replies.

2. amitrichardxess

somebody plzzzzzz respond

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't think they're called accidental chords. I'm not sure though. I'll explain what accidentals are though....or even better, quote wikipedia:

An accidental is a musical notation symbol used to raise or lower the pitch of a note from that indicated by the key signature.

pretty much boiling down to using notes from outside the key to enhance the music.

Why would we want to?

Probably because music tends to get boring when it's limited to 7 notes (tends to only). When you're adding the other notes, you give yourself a better shot at originality.

Okay, that was a bogus reason but it is a point anyway.

The biggest reason we use accidentals is to be able to give our song a movement....and to create tension which can be resolved by homing in on the root of the chord which follows. It's like....light always seems to be brighter after you've been in the darkness for a while. Similarly, the prettiness in the sound always seems prettier after a bit of dissonance.

How it makes a song beautiful?

Well, you've got me there. I just know these concepts....I haven't mastered them. I don't think I ever will either. Still trying though.

Some concepts which use accidentals...You'll find these on this and almost any other music site:

a) Flat 5 substitution
    b) Circle of 5ths
    c) Diminished chords/scale as connector between chords
    d) Chromaticism
    e) Chord structures (2,5,1)

See if this helps. I doubt that I know enough to be able to answer your queries but shoot them here anyway.

As for examples, now isn't a great time but I can try and make something up.

4. amitrichardxess

thank you very much bjr:

for giving ur time and explaining me, not all of my doubts are cleared but it really helped me a lot. anyways thanks again.

5. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

i dont know wat accidental chords are.....i must know them but dont know that they're called accidental chords!

somebody give an example of a song where this is used and maybe i'll get an idea.....