need hellp reg. solos

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by sumit, Dec 7, 2005.

1. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

well guys ive been playin rhythm on my guitar since 2 yrs.....and naw m in a position that i can play rhtthm pretty well....but when i see others playin solo's and lead's stuffs i feel that i shld switch over to lead's....so how do i start to learn the lead stuffs..........

2. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

practice scales.for lead probably go with pentatonic scales,arpeggios.but first u've gotta know alternate picking.

3. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

alternate picking ?

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Alternate picking as the name implies is when you combine both upstrokes and down strokes simultaneously. It's imperative that you know how to alternate pick if you want to play decent solos.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thats a wrong attitude.
    Most of the n00b guitar players I have come across take sides with one of teh teams: rhythm or leads.

BAD!

Guitar is meant to be played in both ways.
    Since you have decided to carry on with both, I suggest you do this:
    1. Listen to as many guitar players as possible.
    HELLO! I dont mean crap ass "lead" players like JAL/Strings fellow etc. Listen to Rock music, Jazz, Blues, Metal, Flamenco.
    2. Since you claim that you can rhythm pretty well, U should be able to ake out what the players are playing as rhythm.
    3. Listen to the leads. Dont just hear, listen.
    4. You will realise that there are certain patterns/styles that most of the players play, these are called as licks.
    For leads guitaring: LICKS are one of the most essential part.
    5. Next, when you have reached a comfortable level: make your own rhythm and think what can you play as lead over it.
    6. Try to actually play what you thought of. Here your skills on scales, arpeggios etc (what others have listed) will help you.

But frankly, If you cannot think, all your "leads" will be nothing more than fretboard-finger excersise.

Listen to Eric Clapton, Ritchi Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimi Page etc.

6. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

yeah alpha has a point.if you are a rythymn guitarist and good enogh at it don't be carried away by the lead guitarists.just listen to flamenco and some spanish stuff try that kinda strumming patterns.