need advice on setup...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Dec 9, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ok.....heres the prices am gettin the 3 for
    ax1500g =13k
    gnx3=16k
    zoom G2.1u =no idea...just saw it online..waiting for it to arive..... but its a low end model....very low end...just gave it a consideration cos all i need is distortion, wahs and delay...more or less....and the thing has a drum machine
    AX3000g isnt available rt now :(
    stupid question but does AX3000 have a drum machine:eek::

BTW my prices are all on brand new....
    ordering from www.bajaao.com
    amazing prices they got..
    funny thing is ....the difference between gt6 and gt8 its hardly anything...lol

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Yes....

No difference between Gt6 and Gt8?? Heard the tone?? Dynamic patch shifting.. ,

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I'm pretty sure the Ax3000G does'nt have a drum machine. I think that you can go for the GNX3 over the AX1500G cause you have a lot more options from the GNX but the GNX console seems like you have to learn to program it using the manual as if you were learn to drive (in short uneasy console becoz of the menus).
    You can also try out the Boss ME50 which is just a stripped down version of the GT-6. I heard the sound clips and it sounds good.

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Okie.. I didnt confirm.. Its generally customary that Korgs come with a drum machine..

ME50 is RAW Cosm sound.. Very very realistic sound..

GNX3 soundwise thumbs up but Interface is maddenning.. Make sure you have access to a sanitarium especially the days when you make patches..

5. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

ax1500g is 12000 in kolkkata man........with proper papers and warrenty.....

without papers, its under 7 k i think...

hey can some1 give me links to patch sites of ax1500g ?? which r filled wid patches??:p:

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Doc
    here are $0.02 from me:

1. AX1500G though at 12/13K seems to be the cheapest, but remember it has the least features too + it doenst have a drum machine - only a stupid metronome

2. Boss ME-50 is something that I prefer, it is almost equivalent to having individual stomp boxes in series, U can just switch on and off the individual effects, very convenient + it offers storing of patches too. However, it would have been better had they offered more features.

3. Boss GT6/GT8 - way too much overpiced, but u can say they are Me-50's BAAP

4. GNX 3/4/etc - good sound quality at high price + bad interface (as i said earlier)

5. Zoom: I am personally biased against them, otherwise they may be having excellent sound quality + price

My best bet: Boss ME 50. (thanx sridhar for reminding me)

HindiRox: Doc was referrring to the fact that the price diff between GT6 and GT8 is INR 500. (on that website)

Addendum: The GT8 has channel switching property wherein the channel can be made to change based on your picking dynamics - I think that is a very nice feature. HindiRox, what are your reviews on that feature?

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i forgot to add ........i meant the cost...:grin:

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

but then again....boss me 50 ....no drum machine :(

9. sridhar11_2

If you're bent on getting a drum machine with your fx pedal then i think you have to go for the GNX3 (from the options you specified).
    Or if you can get the zoom g7 thing or g9 they both have drum machine and input for vocals + cubase recording software package. I actually am leaning towards the zoom because it has the tube which adds natural tube compression and drive (which is what everybody wants). I have'nt heard any sound clips of the zoom so i cant really be a good judge. I think it's cause i still like my 505II very much.

10. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@Dr : The prices in Bajoo is misleading thats all..

I agree with sridhar.. Go for GNX3 cause you can record your tracks and play leads on it.. Used in built beats etc etc..

11. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

My review about the Dynamic Sensing..

Its amazing.. I dont need the unit anywhere nead me to change to a lead tone.. I can easily for from Rhythm -> Clean or Rhythm -> LEad or Clean -> LEad and back without even pressing any of the switches.. So on stage, i dont have be near my processor to do all this.. Except when i need to use the pedals and stuff.. And This is seamless.. No delays nothing..

And again if you set your FX chain right, you really can rack up the processor and use it with just a midi controller.. and Expression pedal..

12. vlada729

vlada729 New Member

a very useful advice...

...if i may say...:) do you know the old saying.."i'm not rich enough to afford the cheap stuff"... makes sense...you'll se how... ok, the guitar you have is decent, with the proper setup, can be great...pick-ups-cool...now...the amp...since you're on a budget, buy things that you will keep, and get comfortable with them...sooner or later, you'll see that all the processors are not the real thing...so my advice is...go for an amp that you can use for now, and that has a good, or decent resale value...and add some serious stompboxes...that you can keep forever...you'll always need'em...marshalls are ok, if u need them for room practice, and mg series sound good in low volumes...turn'em up, and they're lousy...due to the speaker...rolands are quite ok, although quite modern (synthetic) sounding, but not the cube 15...it's totally different from the micro or cube 30 or 60... laneys are cool...some... the tube amp, i think vc-15, is a monster, although i think u can't get it here...and is maybe expensive...try some small fenders...the clean sounds are way better than anything at these prices, and gain has somehow a vintage vibe to it...they are a little more treble voiced though, but can work ok with your guitar....stompboxes....if u get a marshall type amp, mg's or something like that, use the dirty channel, cause the clean sucks, and add a stompbox over that...but, don't go for high-gain pedals, since marshall gain is quite good, go for a tube-screamer like pedal... i suggest digitech bad monkey, (i have it)... it's quite cheap, 2840 inr., in bangalore...gives you a lot of sound variations... i use it with marshalls as i explained...and i'll keep using it when my boogie arrives also...you can always add a little extra punch...
    avoid processors, unless u go for the tube ones...vox cooltronix is great, didn't hear the new zoom (altough the old ones, 606, 707, sound a whole lot better then digitech in the same price range...)... try getting the old ones...the best ones...tube screamer, mxr, boss ds-1, or super overdrive...these things, you will not want to replace...the new ones from digitech or boss are quite ok too...
    that's it...ye

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

am lookin around for tube amps now..am tryin to get a decent deal on EC man.....lets see

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

One addition: processors with vacuum tubes are really nothing but gimmicks.

The actual tube amp works at a lot more voltage than the "average joe" processor. and any kinda vacuum tube inside a processor is not going to really make much difference to its sound.

B.t.w the tube amp sounds like the way it sounds because of the distortion at the power amp stage, not just because of the pre amp (though pre amp does add lotsa color to the tone). + teh distortion comes from numerous stages of amplification, which cannot be had from just a SINGLE VACUUM TUBE component.

precis: processors (and even stomp boxes) having vacuum tubes are gimmicks much like special edition malmsteen issue Fender guitars and yada yada stuff. Dont go for such MARKETING GIMMICKS.
    get the electronics/electrical basics correct first.

15. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

My 0.02$ Try the Berhinger stack.. Those Amp+Cabs are good...

Laney is available.. VC15 will be made available.. I'm looking at a Laney Half/Full Stack..

Some good Reviews.. the Laney 120W Combo is Brilliant.. It comes for a cheap 17000Rs..

16. sridhar11_2

Ok i dont know much about electronics but the Vox Tonelab has got a dummy speaker circuit so it reacts as it would on a real amp (good news for modelling vintage amps). Obviously it does'nt compare to a real tube amp but it's a lot better than a digital sounding processor. Anyway i'm not saying that just because it has a tube it's the best i'm just basing this on the demo clips i heard and the reviews it got.

17. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

I have the TC electronic G Force CD.. Have heard Vox samples too.. Felt G Force is much better..

18. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Of course. The price tag is much better too.

19. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

So.. Whats your point??

20. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

My point is that advice and/or opinions should be relevent to what is being discussed. If someone mentions that the Tonelab has XYZ features and/or tone, then the point of comparison should be something that has the same price point and/or target audience. I made the same point in the other thread and you didn't get it then either.
    If someone is discussing a Zoom and you tell him "No, a Mesa/Boogie amp is better", than obviously it is true. It is just not very germane to the point being discussed.