Need Advice from Gurus!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ckhurana, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ckhurana

ckhurana Banned

Hey Guys!

I am writing in from Delhi. This is a first post of mine. Well, I am quite interested in Guitars and like listening to both simple strumming patterns and cool Dream Theater types.

I couldn't get much experience on my current guitar as it is an older one (hand-me-down types.). and is slowly bending its neck out.

I was exploring the possibilities of getting a newer guitar

My questions are:-

I have basic music sense. I can play guitar on the lines of basic musical tunes (english/western themes i.e.);

I am looking to buy a guitar, pls advise whether I should go in for electric or accoustic?

I have a friend's friend having a Hobner - M 235 up for sale. He is giving the bag, Amplifier(?), Pick and user guide with extra string, 3 months old for Rs.3500.

Kindly advise.

Guys, Please try to help a fellow budding guitarist out here!

Regds,

CK

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I am of the old school of thought and say that you should always start off with an acoustic....even most of your basic practice, in my opinion, should be on acoustic. But since you have an acoustic (no matter if its crappy), you could give this a shot. Looking at the price, I would be quite suspicious of the sale.

However, I certainly am not a guru and have little authority to give anyone advice on an issue as touchy as this.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I am from the thoughtless School. I started learning guitar with an Electric Guitar with Heavy Distortion into a Marshall kept loud. After playing a while, I then gave a shot at playing Acoustic Guitar. I have had a pretty fast learning experience. So I dont believe in Acoustic to Electric or Electric to Acoustic. Just do what pleases you 'cos that's the thing which will give you more drive to learn more. Go for what you like. I dont get a great drive learning Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Happy B'Day tunes. I'd rather play the intro riff to Paranoid, Whole Lotta Love and Smoke On The Water.
    A crappy guitar is a very bad way to start learning. With a good guitar which is always in tune while practicing, even your ear training happens without your knowledge. You could mistake a fret buzz to improper fretting and vice versa. Which means you will discount your improper fretting and blame it on the fret buzz and keep going. Finally when you play on a good guitar, you might be lagging right from your fretting. I am not saying it will but good guitar is a good place to begin learning. It need not be an expensive one but it should be well playable. I have a Givson with me. It's not great but it's really well playable with no fret buzz or jarre. I suggest at least such an instrument.

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Guru Swaminathan Thyagarajan says:
    Buy what you want, not what is supposed to be good for you
    (Basically what Guru Ramanathan said)

5. mr singh

mr singh New Member

i say, acoustic guitar will give discipline if learnt in the ancient classical/ spanish style... however, these days there is a yearning 4 freedom, which is best acheived through electric.
    however, choose your path and equipment wisely, it is best to buy a semi decent guitar 2 start off with and see how it goes from there :)

6. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

I'd suggest u start with an acoustic. Helps hardening ur fingertips too. Plus, the sound is sweeter too.

7. ckhurana

ckhurana Banned

??

I feel I am more Confused than ever !@!!

I need advice on that particular guitar too guys !!

My query was...

"I have a friend's friend having a Hobner - M 235 up for sale. He is giving the bag, Amplifier(?), Pick and user guide with extra strings, 3 months old for Rs.3500."

Is this too much or is it a steal !?!

Please advise ppl!!

And if i need to go in for an electric one... which brand and what cost should I be looking for??

I am here in delhi...exactly Ghaziabad though....

What say!?!

Thanks for the quick replies tho guys!!

Xpecting more support an advice!

Indian Forums Rock!

Cheers!

CK

8. mr singh

mr singh New Member

any guitar with steel strings will harden ur fingers quicker than nylon strings, however, i would say that a nylon strung guitar is far "sweeter" than the often sharpish timbre achieved with a wire strung one... hoever this is all down to opinion

9. ronnieanand

Shit.... I thought NCC gives discipline. I wasted 4 years of school life in Scouts. Should have taken up to Acoustic Guitar and would have become a really disciplined person in life.

10. mr singh

mr singh New Member

^ or u shud have taken up some stupid martial art e.g. karate, lmao ;)

11. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Arrey Singh saab, I was comparing between acoustic and electric. Yeah, u r right. Nylon sring is sweeter.

12. ronnieanand

I did that too. I am a 2nd Degree Black Belt but I guess acoustic guitar could have helped me more than that. Dude, I should have met you in my school days.

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

well i would say
    u should start of wid an acoustic then semi electric
    or electric

PS:Nylon string ed guitar sound far "sweeter" then steel strings

14. ckhurana

ckhurana Banned

My Guitar Odessy Update

Guys......

Anyone who has read my previous posts (see above) will be knowing (or you can read it to know) about the deal I was getting about that HOBNER guitar....

Well, the deal never happened!! Seems that the guys had already earned the cash some time back, way before I was told about the deal :-(

No I am back to square one!! I reside in Delhi. Could someone please guide me in getting a accoustic ~ Rs. 3000, having an electric pickup (can be semi-accoustic, I guess that is the right name?)

I.E. I want to have a guitar that I can plug in an amplifier...

Nothing too flashy or expensive though, as I said ~3000 bucks....thats the max i can strech. I do have a bit of experience in playing an accoustic but my older guitar's neck has bended...so there...

I reside in Ghaziabad, to be exact just near the Delhi UP border so, anywhere in Delhi would be good.

Also, feel free to suggest any brands I should be looking for and the places from where I could get a good deal...

I am looking forward to your support guys!!

Thanks!

CK

15. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

3gs ..well go for a givson acoustic ..its the best bet for you and it wont have any major problems...but ..play the instrument before you buy it so that you feel comfortable with it ...

regardin the learnin ..always satrt with an acoustic ...and i mean a decent acoustic ..like the ones made by givson ..Do not start of with an electric ..in the long run ..u will find it tough ..and even after you get your electric..practice in the acoustic ..it will help you strengthen both you hands much more than any electric..
    hell i have an electric and i practice my exercises only on the acoustic ..so after I have finished exercisin on the acoustic ...i can pick up the electric and rip through it because it is so much more easier to play (ahh..rip thorugh in the sense , play stuff without much effort as in acoustic ))

if you start of with an electric ..you fingers will always be used to the smooth neck and light soft strings and high volume amp..so wen you move back to the acoustic one day ,you wil struggle to play it initially..
    SO start with acoustic.

P.S to ROn ..if you are gonna start flamin about this to ..be my guest ronnie .!

16. ckhurana

ckhurana Banned

Thanks Satch!

Okay.. I will go in for the Givson one......

Questions i have:-
    1. Which model of Givson do u suggest?
    2. Should I go in for an F-Cut?
    3. Will it have a pickup? (Internal external - which is better?)
    4. Is this what we call a semi-accoustic (an accoustic with a pick-up?)
    5. Where in Delhi should I get it from...Quality + Rate effecient i.e.

GR8 if you can help me out....
    Cheers!

CK

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

no probs ckhuruna ..

ok..thats a lot a questions ..1 question at a time ....

which model ...well i think if you go to the shop and ask him for the givson acoustic with the port ( ya..thts the local term) to plug into the amp ..they will pick one out for you ..here in chennai ....i think its about 3100 or somethin ...and dont ask me why such an odd number

yes..definetely it wil have a single coil pickup ...mostly it will be inside the body ....rite beneath the bridge of the guitar if i aint mistaken ....actually it really doesnt matter whether is inside or on the sound hole especially in the acoustic ..the difference in sound will be minimal .. here is a link from bajaao.com which i found which is the one i was talkin about .is rs.2700

https://www.bajaao.com/givson-jumbo-rosewood-acoustic-guitar-export-p-137.html

you can actually call this a semi-acoustic..why not ...but as far as i know ..a semi acoustic is an electric guitar with a sound hole ..your guitar is called as an acoustic-electric guitar i think
    regardin the cut-away ..it is purely upto you..see what is comfortable to play when you sit and then buy it .

and good luck on the road to masterin the guitar

18. ronnieanand

When experts like you talk, a noob like me rather keep quiet..

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^
    :RollLol: its n00b

Good for you man. That wasnt that good anyway.
    Acoustics wil be easily available for 3K. But I still feel, if you could really define your taste, it may come out that electric is the one you are looking for.
    Besides I dont buy teh crap that acoustics are good for practice etc.
    Lemme tell you, it is far difficult to play well (and sound nice) on electric than on acoustic.

Anyway its your call whethter to go for Electric of Acoustic.
    However, I still dont get WHY YOU WANT "guitar that I can plug in an amplifier"
    If you buy an acoustic, why do you need to plug it into an amplifier???

Well you wont get any guitars in Ghaziabad fo' sho'. But if you travel westwards ho, you may come across some shops in CP, Daryaganj etc.
    Better ask alfons, dennis, anshpehnomenon ....... send a Private Message to them.
    Depends on your budget, but I still think GB&A, J&D might turn out to be slightly better than Givson.
    Thanx d00d, anytime.

20. ronnieanand

Look out for a new Chinese Brand called Pluto. It sounds as good as a Takamine EG240 and it beats the crap out of GB&a, J&D and sounded better than a Yamaha too. I bought 4 pieces recently and I am very happy with the build and tone...