NAD: New Accesories Day

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ayu135, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I just received the parcel from Bajaao after exactly 15 days from billing date. Had ordered some accessories like a new guitar cable, a new tuner/metronome, new strings etc. This stuff usually gets ignored by most guitarists but it affects a lot of the tone.

The guitar cable first. After a bad experience with bajaao(absolutely normal) i didnt get the cable i ordered. I had initially ordered the Dimarzio cable. But they told me it was unavailable so i ordered the Spectra zero noise cable with Neutrik connectors on rickkkyrich's recommendation, but i have to sadly say the cable i got sucks, it is a blue coloured cable that says Spectra microphone cable 24 awg KS-3030, made in taiwan. The cable is thinner than my planet waves cable and i dont know any other specifics like the capacitance etc. I immediately had a bad feeling the cable came in a small box wound tightly and not even in the standard over/under wrap but just coiled tightly. And about being noise free it is a joke, the cable is too noisy almost unplayable on high gain. Maybe the cable i received is damaged or something but i am going to return it to bajaao and ask for a refund. Sadly my local guitar store doesnt stock any good guitar cables. Guitar cable is an important contributor to your overall tone so a proper guitar cable is a must. I'd say Rs.1200 wasted.

Strings are a very essential component because these are the ones that you actually touch and they account for the maximum dynamics in your playing. I ordered the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's 9-42, i have used the D'Addario strings in the past as well as some local strings. The local strings shouldnt even be touched. Between D'Addario and Ernie ball i prefer the latter more as they sound brighter to me. Ernie ball retain this brightness for a longer time while the D'Addarios, they tend to dull quickly. About the gauge, i dont drop tune much, drop d is the lowest i go so the 9's are perfect for me. I tried the hybrid 9-46 once but there was no difference tonally so i switched back to 9-42. I wish to try the cobalt ones but they are not available anywhere. But paying Rs. 490 per pack of strings is simply looting the musicians. I hate my city for its lack of guitar related supplies.

Lastly i bought a Samson CM40 tuner/metronome. I am quite happy with it. It feels a bit flimsy though, the plastic casing feels cheap. It has a really nice colour display. The tuning is accurate to about 2 cents which i feel it good enough at this price point. The metronome has lots of nice features like different time signatures and rhythm patterns. It also has a built in mike for tuning acoustic instrument. It also tracks fairly decently and the response is okay. The best thing though is screen, it is very bright and nicely illuminated so viewing it in dark areas is not a problem. So at Rs.1030 i'd say it is decent.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

That's really sad... I ordered my cable from ansar though... But thinner cable should not be an issue.. Also a cable is just a cable and not a noise suppressor... At high gain any cable will sound noisy... my 0.02$

3. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

The best cable so far for me has been the Monster Cable, Not noisy at all.....I also have the Warwick Rock Cable and it is OK, Not that great, sometimes the connector when moved a little gets scratchy......I do not use it mostly....But its the cheapest among the lot of cables I have.....

I would suggest checking the cables out before buying.....Checking the features I mean....e.g. noiseless etc.....I have never dealt with Bajaao but have heard horror stories from people though :)

Also agree with Ricky here, Cables get noisier at high gain, however it also depends on any surrounding interference that may cause the noise at high gain.....So its better to ensure the cable is properly shielded and if not, get one good cable, maybe a Mogami (Real expensive) but a good cable, To me the monster cable really does the job even with a noisy guitar that I've got at high gain.......

4. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I own a planet waves cable, no noise at all even at high gain, though it has developed problems at one of the connecting ends, i will post sound samples maybe to show how stark the difference is. The quality of shielding of the cable affects the noise. I am ready to pay for a good cable but i dont know where to get one from. I have never seen a monster, mogami, George L's etc in a store online or offline. And about being thinner though not an issue may hint at lesser shielding around the cable.Good guitar cables usually have 2 more shielding layers apart from the copper mesh, usually in the form of conductive pvc layer and a conductive carbon layer.

5. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Returned the cable today, bajaao people said they will refund my money.

6. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

UPDATE: I was refunded the full rs 1900 back by bajaao today. I must say, this was good on their part, but making mistakes first and correcting them later just brings you to zero from negative.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But what was Bajaao's mistake in all this?

8. wylder

wylder Member

That's funny... I found the reverse to be true the last time I tried about a couple of years back. Been using D'Addarios ever since. I get the 3 set pack that costs roughly 1000 bucks in stores here in Bangalore.

9. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

@alpha1 displaying a product on their website that they did not have, taking my money and then telling me that they dont have the cable. Sending me a noisy faulty cable. What more could they do?

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ok, I missed that non-availability part.
    But are you sure that noisy faulty cable was their mistake ... ?

11. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Yes, rickkkyrich has the same cable, he has no issues, and the way they had packaged the cable it was surely going to get damaged.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bajao has surely come down on quality and commitment since they started their operations about half a decade ago ...