My Squier California Strat!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Nov 26, 2006.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

I know Its not competing out there but for a beginner with a 9k budget this outstrips any thing else. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

what amp n processor u bought with that??

3. yazi

yazi Banned

I just bought it from Calcutta and had to get back to college in Bhubaneswar. So , I need some serious help setting it up. The frets (0-9) are buzzing. Whrer can I get an owners manual?( Yes, I dont have it).

4. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

buzzing???

more details?...dont get ya

5. yazi

yazi Banned

I Bought this from Calcutta and came back to college in bhubaneswar the next day. The guitar needs some serious set up. Any kind of help will be appreciated. Btw, where can I get an owners manual?

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

where exactly is it buzzing? on all the frets...just the first few...last few??

7. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

be detailed

Hey yazi..

b detailed whenever you want some one to help you out..:annoyed:

As you said buzzing...now can you be more specific ....coz if the buzzing on the frets are the tone going flat then you got trouble...It means that your fretboard has been banged b4 or after you purchased the guitar...I mean some mishandling issues...since the buzzing arises when the wood area on that corresponding fret has taken a beating or was of low quality...may have air pockets in them...these airpockets leads to the blandness of tones when you play that fret.:eek::
    This might b due to only 2 reasons->
    1) Bad quality wood used for fretboard
    or
    2) some damage to the fretboard like banding to the wall(obvisouly by mistake i mean) might lead to the fretboard getting damamged at certain frets.

I faced this problem with my tansen electric:mad:

some one adviced me to replace the entire fretboard:eek:: ..i instead purchased a new guitar:beer:

N e way i think ronnie_anand will b able to answer you in detail as he is the hardware guy as far as guitars are concerned

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I think he's talking about fret buzz by action being too low.
    a) Increase the height of the bridge saddle and see if it helps. 90% of the time it works. If your bridge allows you to adjust individual string height then use that to adjust the action. This will not harm your guitar if done properly. Don't just turn the screws a 1000 times. Turn them a bit at a time and check the action each time until the buzzing is gone - unless you like your action high.

b) If that didn't work your frets might need filing or a little hammering since they may be a little high. Take it to a shop and ask them to look at it and tell you what's wrong. Don't let them fool you into truss rod adjustments.

ONLY if your neck is arched, take it to a well known guitar shop and ask them to adjust the truss rod to bow the bridge a little. Don't try this by yourself unless you're willing to watch your neck snap. Truss rod adjustment is not to change the action, it is to change the bowing of the neck. The neck isn't supposed to be completely flat, just bowed VERY little (i.e. depressed a little in the middle). If it's arched it touches the strings around the middle of the fretboard.

9. yazi

yazi Banned

OOPS! I read the Fender Online Manual and adjusted the truss rod to get the top fret buzzing gone. Should I try to restore it back or wait till I got to Kolkata(1 month of no playing)?

10. yazi

yazi Banned

The buzzing is till the 7th fret from 1st.

11. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Never **** with the truss rod if you don't know what you're doing.

12. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

yeh dude dont touch the truss if u are not sure what it does.take it to a some guitar tech to adjust it. think u will have to adjust the truss as well as the bridge so take it to any guitar tech - a nice one offcourse. u will get it sorted there. all the best.

13. yazi

yazi Banned

Can I get some suggestions about a guitar tech in Kolkata?

14. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Is your guitar in tune at A=440Hz? If it isn't, then maybe your guitar's buzzing as the strings are at very low tension.

15. shak

shak Harrr!

440, air pockets, banging and dont mess with the truss rods!! pheeeshhh!!!

only the100th1 has got it right ....

mate, buzzing frets, lose nuts, cheap electronics and chipping paint is what almost every squier suffers with .. i suggest you change the string guage .. if you are using .09's go for .10's or .11's as it would increase the tension at which the standard tuning is achieved ... secondly use the intonation hex screws to increase the action ..

if the neck is warped then get your allen key and give the truss a 'few' turns no more than 5!! until you get it straight ...

16. yazi

yazi Banned

Thanks people! I think its again back on track!

17. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Khaya peeya kuch nahi .. Glass Phoda Baara-Aana!

18. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^^ turns as in 1/8 of a turn at a time. Twist it fully 5 times and you will see the rod magically appear through the neck :shock:

The rod should be turned and then left alone so that the wood can then adjust to the new shape. Hence the whole process could take from a few hours to a few days.

@yazi: All is not lost yet. Don't touch the rod any more for now. Look at the guitar from the side and see if the neck is bowed (depressed in the middle) or arched (raised in the middle). Make a note of that. Take it to any good guitar tech, wherever you are, if you can wait a few days in that place. Otherwise the best option is to leave it alone till you reach Kolkata.

The internet has a lot of resources, next time use google and visit at least 3-5 different websites to find out what the best method to solve the problem is. If you ask on a forum it wouldn't hurt to wait till you have a few replies ;)

19. shak

shak Harrr!

^ actually depends on the rod quality and the screw pitch, the good rods come with very small screw pitch thus the 5 turns (my crafter can take upto 10 i think) .. but at the end of the day, truss adjustment depends more on common sense than written tuts.

20. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^^^^^+1 I recommend not touching the Trus rod unless you actually know how much of a turn is OK. each guitar is diff.. So this I would leave to an experinced guitar tech....... Unless you want o SNAP your neck