!!! My New Les Paul Standard !!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Dec 28, 2005.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Thats for the Single Cut, not the McCarty. And Gibson has lost the lawsuit btw.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hasnt Fender sued any guitar making company?

Most of the guitars you see are Strat copies.
    Ibanez
    Jackson
    Washburn
    etc

3. abhijitnath

I think they sued Gibson when they came out with the Firebird over the offset headstock design. Ironically, they had to change the name of the Telecaster...originally it was called the Broadcaster but some drum company had the rights to that name.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LMAO @ these americans and their suing-each-other lifestyle for making a living.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hahaha..seriously, they prolly have a designation like Proffesional Sue-er or something

Btw Telecaster sounds way cooler than Broadcaster

6. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

fender sued gibson??

of all the guitar books i've read everywhere it says>

:The fender broadcaster was renamed the telecaster to avoid confusion over another guitar that had the same name"

WHAT WAS THAT OTHER GUITAR???

7. abhijitnath

Fender sued Gibson over the Firebird or at least informally asked them to change the name. Gibson reversed the headstock design to manouvre around the lawsuit. Thus the 87 non-reverse headstocks are very collectible and expensive.
    Also,
    Due to a trademark conflict with another musical instrument company (the Gretsch Broadkaster line of drums), the Broadcaster's name was quickly changed to Telecaster and perhaps the most enduring electric guitar ever was born.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Fender

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Not that one then. With their Les Paul Design, Gibson won the case with PRS and Tokai.

9. abhijitnath

The Single Cut is the PRS Les Paul copy. And they've won the case against Gibson.

In a long-pending trademark dispute between PRS Guitars and Gibson Guitars Corp., the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit today reversed a lower court decision and ordered the dismissal of Gibson's suit against PRS. The decision also immediately vacates the injunction prohibiting the sale and production of PRS’s award winning Singlecut® Guitar. Paul Reed Smith Guitars announced today that it will immediately resume production of its Singlecut® guitars.
    Gibson alleged that concert goers in a smoky concert hall might not be able to differentiate a PRS Singlecut® from a Gibson Les Paul. The appellate court rejected that trademark theory out-of-hand, emphasizing Gibson’s concession in court arguments that “only an idiot” would confuse the two products at the point of sale.

https://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=013049;p=1
    And of course they would have won the lawsuit against Tokai..a small company like that has no chance of winning against a huge corporate like Gibson.

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I read about this two days back. Let me search for that link again.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    IT is bad!

PRS single cut does look a LOT like Les Paul.

12. abhijitnath

So do hundreds of other guitars by other manufacturers. The only reason Gibson went after PRS is because they were eating into their market share with a much better, mostly hand-made product at a similar price point. I mean what (except the brand name) can justify $4000 for a machine made LP with bad fret-cutting, intonation that is off etc when hundreds of luthiers will make you something much better at the same price?
    I dont see how you can trademark things like a double cut. That way even Les Paul copied acoustics with cutaways and made the original LP design.

13. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

+1 (whatever that means)

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

D00d..dont say that..these guys will trademark and copyright anything(even if it aint their's)..what about Dimarzios and the PAF name, also the double-creme bobbins..

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The PRS singlecut is back up on their site..so they surely did win the case:)

16. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

big misconception...i find this as easy....all the ibanez/fenders ive played have been pretty much the same....the joint, and the plate at the neck in the bolt on...makes it as "difficult" despite having double cutaway....
    i dont have terribly long fingers or anything, but yea i can reach the higher frets ...and i kinda prefer the 24.75 scale length.....have always had problems with the 24 fret ibanez's could never play em right:eek::

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I checked my PRS..it is a 25.5" scale..though I had asked for a 25"....it has no flange sticking at the back..body joins neck at 22nd fret..plus I have a shorter heel(like the old PRSes)..higher frets are a cakewalk :).but it aint that big a deal..I mean you usually play the first few strings on such high frets..so a Fender type shape is adequate..LPs might be a little more difficult but the Doc must know best as he owns one;)

18. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

it means "I second that!"

19. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Thank You.

20. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

get ur babe in the nxt meet.....