!!! My New Les Paul Standard !!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Dec 28, 2005.

1. shak

shak Harrr!

it comes down to the wood and the material ..
    gibsons use denser mahagony and the best one around .. and for maple tops they use think half inch slabs ..
    while epis cut costs at mahagony backs .. and use thin veneers for their tops ,..
    this results in slightly less crunch from epis and slightly less sustain ..
    but in normal play its barely noticeable ..

2. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

shah, ma Epi is Rose Wood period.
    so it changed the whole theme

3. shak

shak Harrr!

^ i doubt that you can get a rosewood body on electric guitar .. post a pic ..
    (incase you are talking of fretboard then yes most gibsons and epiphones have rosewood fretboards, so your isnt any different .. and if you are talking of acoustic guitar than thats another story .. here we are talking of electrics ..)

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

mine is a mahogany body...with a flametop veneer....
    from what i read....gibs are carved bodies ...so basicallay the body is one piece....and the epis are multiples pieces stuck togethor....
    and yes theres something about the neck too...not that i recollect...

5. BubblyMartini

BubblyMartini !!!HAWM

Finely seeing the other beauty in your life..
    she's awesome...lesser than the other one though..;)

Congrats dear...:)

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ur damn right about the two beauties:)

7. shak

shak Harrr!

thats true .. epis use veneers as i said earlier ..
    gibson carve solid block of maple for their guitar top .. so they aint made out of one piece ofwood .. but atleast two .. can be more .. it depends ..
    sometime its chambered as well ..

8. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Nice one - join the club! Please remove that warranty sticker though - makes it look cheap!

9. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Sorry to say - someone got you bad! Most Guitar Centers install for free...and the SDs aren't worth $99 - no way jose! You should have got Gibson Alnico 5s :)

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i chekd the SDs online everywhere......theya re $99 with covers and $75 without......
    this was CV Lloyds in urbana.....very reputed there....doubt that tehy wud cheat me...

11. kshitij_u

kshitij_u New Member

I think the price is OK..but 40$ for changing the PUs is bit odd. Usually its done free of cost.
    Anyways..keep rocking dude !!

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey Doc one ques:

How easlity are you able to access the higher frets (17th onwards) as compared to a Strat design.

The strat design has a cut away at teh top of the neck as well. So I have this impression that Strat might be easier to play than a Les Paul at higher frets.

13. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Duh.
    It is horrible to play up the neck of a Les Paul, both because there is no cutaway and because the frets are closer together because of the shorter scale length.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Good I didnt ask for Les Paul from Tulsi.
    + My fingers are a lil fat so am not able to fret the higher frets on normal guitar properly
    :cry1:

What about PRS design?

15. abhijitnath

Depends on which PRS
    Most of them are 25" scale so halfway between LP and Strat. Should'nt be a big problem fretting them. However the Santana is 24.5" with 24 frets so its even shorter than an LP, making the 20th to 24th frets hard to fret I presume.
    About accessability on higher frets from a cutaway POV, all of them have dual cutaways except the singlecut:). I guess the design you're looking for (Nebu's) is a Custom 22 or 24. You can get Tulsi to have a small heel, although real PRSes (post 1995) have a large bulky heel apparently for more sustain.

BTW if you're in the mood to experiment, you can go in for a longer scale length-26-27" for a very beefy bottom end, a la Jim Soloway. Dunno how accurate Tulsi's intonation specs will be on that one though..I'm assuming he does manual fretting and not CNC.

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK

Expermintation etc will come at later stage, not now. :grin:

What is with the long neck baritone guitars?
    Is it because long neck allows you to string heavier strings without any slack?

Heavier strings will result in more bassy sound.

17. abhijitnath

It also allows you to downtune without intonation issues and with lighter strings than you could do otherwise.
    Also in general a longer scale length string responds well to lower notes and gauges..which is why piano strings are longer depending on how low the note is.

18. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

LP rules all the way. Fat Body, gives you thick tone and great natural sustain. The natural reverberation is really amazing. You have to play through it to appreciate it. You wont bother much about those two or three difficult frets. Seriously LP rules. Play my guitar. It's just a simple cheap copy and you know it still rocks.

19. abhijitnath

Tone wise I completely agree. I was commenting only on the playability aspect.
    Which is where the PRS McCarty scores very highly I think..it has a Les Paul tone with the ease of a slightly longer scale and dual cutaways.

20. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

And they got sued by Gibson several times for copying Les Paul. They lost a lot too on those suits.