my guitar string is broken :<

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by aysh, Sep 2, 2005.

1. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

the last string (lowest) of my elec guitar is broken .. i had a backup but that too snapped in 3 days .. after i bullied it (yeah im that powerful) . so frm last 2 days i havent really been able to play my guitar and that is BAD ..
    plz tell me which brand strings shud i buy (shud be durable) and also preferably which wont cost a bomb .. and yes ive to get only the last string so they must be available loose ..
    tell fast for i might go tomorrow itself .

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I use D'addario's for my nylon string...they are quite durable.

For steel strings, I use the cheapest I can find...or alternatively, strings of chinese make which are slightly expensive but affordable.

The girlfriend and a broken G-string idea cracks me up everytime.

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

again..post ur queries in appropriate forums.

change ur strings atleast once in 2 months.and i mean the whole set.
    that way..ur tone and strings are "up there" all the time.

if u can shell out money.
    then d addarios , dean markleys , ernie balls work very well.

and yes..my younger sis..also broke the high e string while playing..she is also very powerful.hahah.

4. aysh

are these d'addarios and ernie balls available loose ? i heard ernie ball snaps too often ..
    any info abt other brands like fender or cheaper stuff as in cost , durability etc..

5. vivo_b

vivo_b The Brave

I dont know if you get these in india but I use Elixir's nanoweb strings....they sound real nice and have lasted a year on my acoustic......slightly less on my electric coz that gets a bit of a beating!!!

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nemo ... just one thing dude ...
    use extra light guage strings ... usually strings break due to violent bending ...
    if taht also doent help then detune your guitar by atlest 1/2 step (1 fret) ...

7. aysh

dude i was bending em violently :p .. yeah i forgot .. i got 'Karuna' extra light strings as the backup but it lasted little (3 days maybe).. someone advised me to use it as a workhorse .. hehe

i'll definitely buy extra light ones but just tell me brand which is durable .. and yeah should be available loose

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No. It is also advisable to change the whole set at once though I often choose to ignore this.

I'd reccomend not taking extra light strings if you're going for local brands. More often than not, they tend to go out of tune on even slight bends. However, how accurate the gauge of their strings is is anybodies guess. My advice is to buy the strings and then verify the gauge from a sitar shop...they usually have gauge measuring devices.

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

welll the local brands go outta tune only initialy ..

so the cure for them is ...
    u put in the string ...
    tune it ..
    bend it voilenlty ... i actually pull the strings by suspending the guitar by holding just onwstring ...
    and then if u have tremolo ... use it vigorously ...
    the string wil get detuned ...
    tune it agin and repeat the steps tilll it stops getting detuned ...

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@nemo
    lol.... i broke mine 2 yesterday .. used 2 use GALLI they sell em individually 2 ( i used the 8 gauge 4 da E one and got 2 ... broke both of em in 2 weeks!!)

recommend u buy da 9 gauge 1's !!

and as dharmatma said ... change em every 2 months it makes a difference!

11. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

to avoid breaking em while bending try bending the string with more finger
    by this way the force is applied over a greater distance ( got my science exam on MONDAY dats y da NERDY talk )

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

no, I'm talking about after the initial period. At any given time, a hendrix like bend (where he bends from a fret lower than he ordinarily would) can ensure a drop in tuning. I'm not talking about violent bends...Im not even sure what violent bends are.

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well i was taking violent bending as 3 and 4 fret bends ...

ya know what ? ... i usd to break my G-string ;) (ok bjr stop laughing) ...
    i got sooo pissed of ... i put a b string there ...

onli problem ... it sounds a little bad (somewhat likesitar) .... coz of low tension ... and it get detuned easlity ... BUT onli initially once u warm up the string by stretching .. the detuning comes down drastically ...

by violent i meant high fret bend done very fast ... taht increases the hysterisis loss in th string ... and makes it plastic ... instead of elastic ... so the string loses its tension ...
    in the plastic region ... if u bend even further ... POP goes the string ...

14. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

if the strings are set up properly ..and in the correct manner..i dont think strings goin out of tune should be THAT much of a problem.

learn to put the strings in ur guitar in the correct manner.
    or ask a guy from the guitar shop who knows to show u.

i havent broken strings in quite a while..even though i bend a lot,and fret notes and use the vibrato in an aggresive manner.

i would suggest go in for a thicker gauge and get ur guitar set up..well.
    and i dont think..usin the normal b string in place of the G is a good idea.

i dont think any shop keeper would shell out d addarios or dean markleys..loose.
    ive been using ernie balls for my showmaster..and they havent snapped.

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

impossible!

16. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

@nemo

whatever u do please dont use "karuna" strings. they are one of the worst brands in india.

17. aysh

yes no way i'll buy karuna again ..

if the shopwallahs dont keep loose strings then do i have to buy whole sets everytime just for 1 string :annoyed:

@dharmatma .. u have been using ernie ball strings ?

18. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

its not a rule or somethin that u HAVE to buy the whole set.
    i suggested them for the reasons ive already mentioned.
    anyway..if u change ur set every 2 months..u could probably keep them and use the same strings by chance u break a string while jamming..and change the set later again..

i use both d addarios 10s for my les paul copy and ernie balls regular slinkys 10s on my squier showmaster.

19. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah even i feel it is not a good practice to switch strings etc ...
    but i did coz i had no resort ... extra light guage strings were not available at that time ...
    and really speaking the b string sounds very crap in g strings place ... so dont try it ...

20. aysh

if i put on a new set of strings , can old strings be unwound frm the guitar and used later ( i mean are they usable later ?? )