my guitar gives electric shocks

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by chirag11kapoor, Dec 28, 2005.

1. chirag11kapoor

chirag11kapoor New Member

when i connect my guitar to d pc throught one one lead ( which i got made in nehru place ),it gives me current

& sometimes what happens is when my guitar is lying on d table ,with its lead connected to marshall amp, & amp just connected to the power switch ( but not turned on) .it gives me a big shock. (when i touch it)
    normally it works fine & i do play d guitar a lot. but i dont know y all this happens.
    please help me out. :help:
    its a star(german make) guitar

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    I experienced the same thing with one of my friend's Samick Guitar.

But that happ coz I was playing it after bathing. So I assumed that it was not earthed properly and the current was flowing thru my wet slippers instead.

But your case is even worse.

B.t.w My Givson has never given me such a prob.

3. chirag11kapoor

chirag11kapoor New Member

yaah , i gives me shocks after i touch it just after taking bath or washing off my hands.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Try it at a different power point and check for the shock. If there is none, contact your electrician. If there is a shock again, go to wherever you bought the guitar from and demand compensation.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

haha...or die during the testing process!!

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

pfft, small price to pay for a scientific outlook.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

YAY!

Anything for science.

d00d get the earthing checked. Use a tester.

8. Mudit Malhotra

Mudit Malhotra BLOODY FINGERED

Its Surely Is Earthin Prob ./.,.,.,.,.,. Coz U Say It Shokz Wen U R Wet ,.,so Most Probably Its Dur To Earthin ,., Next Time Chk It Weather U R Wearin Shoes Or Chapal Or Not If No Then Go N Provide A Good Eartihn ,..,coz Its Harmful For Ur Pc Too N Micrwave N Fridge Ac Tooo

9. Luthier

Luthier New Member

@ chirag
    It's 'SHOCKING' that u've been electrocuted so many times.
    Try checking whether ur guitar pickup's body and the bridge are grounded. Check whether ur electric switch board is well-grounded too.
    Regards
    Luthier

PS: do u hear "WHAT WOMEN WANT"...... :-0

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^ LMAO

nice one

but Luthier, should that happen with a branded guitar?
    shouldnt they be sued for this?

11. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

the problem is simple check the earthing of your pc to guitar connector . Use a pin convertor rather than cutting a company connector wire and retrofixing it with a smaller pin head.

anyways if still manage to get a huge shock.......take two asprin n'd call me in morning(he he)

12. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

bout that marshall problem please rephrase it with amp spec. and connector spec. so that i can ponder.