My first recording (Killing Time)

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rickkkyrich, Sep 2, 2010.

1. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Hi guys
    Check out my first track on https://www.reverbnation.com/demonicspirits

This song has been written, sung and played by me.
    Its an acoustic version. Modifications may happen later.

Sorry for posting in wrong forum. I did it intentionally :)

2. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Dude, is this an original? Really great stuff here...

After listening to it I spent fifteen minutes searching the net for an original version so I could download more music by that artist. It was then I noticed that you had written it yourself... Kudos man. That's quality.

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

4. flood

flood New Member

that's not too bad at all for a first recording, congratulations!

i'd use some compression and reverb though. a bit of EQ on the acoustic. you sang it pretty well too.

one complaint that i do have is that you REALLY need to use another name. it's just too reminescent of another indian metal band... and is hard to take seriously.

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Thanks flood..
    i suck at EQing stuff.. need to work on that.. the track is totally unprocessed as it may seem..

and regarding the band name.. i think its fine for a hobbyist.. :) .. i'm not gonna launch my EP or somethin.. anyways in case you have some good name in ur mind do lemme know..

6. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

its great stuff..yes i remember your lyrics from the poetry section.
    Overall good stuff, only i wished drums would be added. For a solo band its very well done, and good voice...li'l familiar to metallica.
    The name...ah! Your accoustics defy the name completely. Try something like the possesed, etc. ;)

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Metallica ??? now u're kiddin me...

Drum programming is wat i'm working on right now.. will take some time..
    and i remember you were the only one who kinda appreciated the lyrics..

8. gamebore

gamebore New Member

amazing stuff man. . . really liked the depth and emotion in your voice. . good lyrics too. . .

death metal. . . . no man, you're too good for that. . . :)

keep up the good work. . .

Peace.

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Thanks dude.. but watz wrong with death metal.. ?

10. gamebore

gamebore New Member

Nothing. I just feel you're too good for it. :)

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I'm good at killing time.. thats it :)

12. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Well, I thought you sound like metallica. Its due to the depth in your voice, and the words seem li'l strangulated.

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

^ i take it as a compliment.. :)

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You've had enough positive feedback. Time for constructive criticism.

The song:
    The guitar was lifeless and stale. It might as well have been a midi loop. I could not hear you strum, I could not hear the strings. IMO, in an acoustic song the strumming/picking and the sound of the strings is everything.

Some lines were flat. Some words were swallowed up. I won't say anything about the pronunciation, that's your prerogative.

Mixing:
    Your vocals are too far up front. I could hear you open your mouth before every line. Did you use a compressor for your vocals?

The guitar has not been EQ'd it would seem. Needs a little more high end IMO.

Both tracks could do with a little reverb unless you were looking for a completely dry sound. Even then maybe a small room type ambient reverb.

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

the entire track is unprocessed. i increased the gain for the vocals as they were hardly audible. after increasing the gain the hiss sound got amplified as well. the guitar was not miced( i dont have a mic stand yet) but rather connected like an electric guitar(my guitar have a pickup.. some cheapo pickup). thats why it lost the acoustic feel.
    Next time i'll keep all the things in mind mentioned by thehundredthone regarding compression reverb and EQing.

Thanks for you feedback. I need it to be better.

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest