My first guitar lesson ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mutesinger, Jun 17, 2006.

1. mutesinger

mutesinger New Member

First of all I would like to congratulate to IGT team for this nice & info loaded forum.

A month ago I bought classic hallow guitar but until now I can not play a single tune because I've nobody here who teach me the techniques how to start & play. I'm Just trying to gather information from sites and some forums but I keen to play indian melodies, after visiting this forum I've got idea there are some master guitarists & can guide me in this regard. So, please let me know what is my first lesson???

2. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

im sure every1 wud agree if i said dat it wud be best if u cud get a teacher......der r sum things u cant lrn on the net...but if u want to no ane songs......i think well be able to help

3. mutesinger

mutesinger New Member

Yes, I know it would be better for me to learn from some expert but as I told you where I'm living there is no one knows about this instrument so thats why I'm asking you guys to help me how to start? I'm faimlair frets, codes, bridge and other guitar parts but I know this information is not enough to play any tune, isn't it?

4. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Hey mutesinger, no worries. I have been playing the guitar since 10 months now. I have learnt everything by myself. All thru the web and IGT. First of all would suggest that if your primary interest is Hindi melodies, a steel string acoustic guitar (western guitar) is the best suited for the job.

Start with learning tabs. There are introductory lessons on this site which teach you the TAB notation. Once you have learnt that, search for the tabs of any song.

I would recommend start with:
    Karz Theme
    Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko
    Jadoo Teri Nazar
    Tujhe Dekha to Yeh Jana sanam

Initially your fingers would hurt, but after 15-20 days you'll develop calousses on your finger tips that would make playing guitar comfortable.

The key is to play guitar atleast 30 mins a day, although 1 hr is recommended. Slowly try new melodies from this site. Once you get bored shift to chords. They may be difficult at first but with practice and time you'll master them as well.

Do not worry, you are not alone, there are lot many folks like you and I am one of them. You will eventually get comfortable with the instrument. I sincerely believe that a teacher is not essential if you have the interest in playing the guitar. You can certainly benefit in terms of starting playing quickly but that's it.

One additional thing which I would like to mention is that it makes it a lot easier to play the guitar if you have long and flexible fingers (meaning which bend from the second joint backwards!). Without these extras you can play but it will take more time than a person who has these extras.

Anyway good luck with tabbing and then chording :rock:

PS: I am not a master guitarist but once was just like you.

5. mutesinger

mutesinger New Member

I'm really thankfull to you iprakash for such a nice sharing & encouragement. Bro, I will follow your instructions as you mentioned above and give you update soon.

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

First learn to tune guitar,u may need to download a tuner(try audio phonic guitar tuner)
    Then learn to play tabs( refer to the thread on this topic)
    browse thru igt to find the tabs u need and play.
    It takes some time

Thats it
    easy

7. mutesinger

mutesinger New Member

Thanks for suggesstion but can you please let me know what tab I will use first? As you know its difficult for beginner to understand? Do you have any idea about it please let me inform I'm looking for your guidance.

8. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

well, i am a beginner as well....i just started learning simple songs that involve two strings or so...eventually, you will learn to tab songs....in the beginning, u might tend to stay in two or three strings..after a while, u can move on and involve more strings and frets...its just a process..i guess you can tab a song easily if u have a clear understanding of the music...

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Check out the tutorials section of this site. It has some exercises that might help you.

*applies for post for the 10th time*

:'(

10. guitarangela

guitarangela gran'ma

soulmates are not allowed to be minions....sarat said no:cry1:

11. mutesinger

mutesinger New Member

Thanx guitarangela for this contribution, could you please forward me the link of these songs inwhich two or three strings involve.

12. anup sharma

anup sharma New Member

hi

hello.................................................................................