My First Guitar Dilemmas

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by hanifv, May 8, 2007.

1. yazi

yazi Banned

all guitars I mentioned is in the 6-7K range including F310

2. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Waldens seem to be pretty nice........But as always "Get someone who knows to play when buying your first guitar"

3. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Hey hanif.Catch hold of Devil^^^.He will come in handy in ur decision to choose the guitar.Besides he is a mumbaikar too:p:

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

my first guitar was bought by my first guitar teacher and it sucked ass....so take someone who isnt trying to make a buck out of you too...and see if its nice on your fingers...

5. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Unfortunately, i don't know anyone who can accompany me to the store, so I am all by myself :(

I am going to Musician's Mall at Charni Road right now. Won't buy the guitar today but I will just go see how the store is and what all they stalk. I have played yamaha and have had a look at walden, but still haven't seen takamine, fender etc. So I hope they stalk them.

I am still awaiting some advice on cutaways. What are the advantages/disadvantages & how does the quality of sound differ. Should I buy a cutaway or not? If yes, what are the models that fit my budget.

Btw, added you on MSN, TheDevil.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

id go for cutaway now. Cus u will be more curious to play solos...and Musicians Mall should set you in the right path...tell me how that mick thompson Ibanez looks in real life please =)

7. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Just came back from musicians mall. Nice music store. The salesperson was not a guitar pro but he seemed nice. They had a good collection of guitars.

But I am still confused about what to buy.

They had a black Fender (forgot the model) for 8k. and a black Fender cutaway for 12k. The Yamaha f210 was for 5k and they didnt have the f310. Also I had a look and some pluto and GBnA guitars. The pluto was alrite but I didn't like the GBnA.

Problem is, the Fender, the Yamaha and the Pluto all felt same to me. I know that is becase I am a noob, but I don't know anyone who plays guitars who can accompany me. Going by the looks alone, the Fender looked very nice and Yamaha was pretty good too.

Please help me out people.

Also can you tell me how much does a Yamaha cutaway costs? They didn't have any Yamaha cutaway.

P.S: Sorry laney, I read your post only after i came back so didnt have a look at any ibanez guitars. But i did look at a Fender strat, a tele, and a epiphone les paul special II and they all looked awesome.

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

The special II is an awful guitar dude. Anyway the yamaha seems awesome. Played one...ddont know which model though. It was amazing...so awesome...

9. hanifv

hanifv New Member

I didn't play the special II, was just talking about the looks. Are you talking about yamaha acoustic ? was it a cutaway or normal ?

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

it was a single cutaway...it played like a dream...sadly that dude who owned it left school so i cant contact him...id say yamaha or takamine...i have a GB&A which i love so i guess that can also be added

11. born2tab

Yeah gb&a guitars are good and worth for the price the come for.IMO , they are better than yamaha.

I have watched ronnie play at Legends of the rock and he too prefers a gb&a.

12. hanifv

hanifv New Member

I tried the gb&a guitar at musicians mall but I didn't connect with it somehow, so I am not too keen on them. I was looking at some old posts at IGT and from what I read, ronnieanand has an electric gb&a (or maybe electric-acoustic)? Also he said something about tuning problems with his guitars.

I called up furtados and they said the Yamaha f310 has been discontinued. Any idea where can I get it in Mumbai? Musicians Mall didnt have them either. Whats the difference between f310 and f210.

Also, the cheapest walden gutiar at furtados is for 10k, so walden is out of question now.

The black fender acoustic at Musicians Mall was for 8k. Is paying the extra 2-3k for a fender worth it ?

Also I still haven't found a cutaway model in my price range. If anone knows a good one, please post the model number. I don't even know the pros and cons of a cutaway and what difference will buying a cutaway make.

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

spend some time playing different pieces or try Pluto at MusMall. There's a lot of inconsistency in those guitars so make sure you play many before making up your mind about them. FWIW I picked up a pretty darn good hobner for a friend from Furtardo's so don't get hung up on brands, you'll only limit yourself

And don't get too hung up on cutaways either. The point of an acoustic is to strum it and develop a sense of rhythm which so many guitarists neglect in their urge to go electric. Strumming and chords. Forget solos for now.

14. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice tallkien

I did play a Pluto and at Muscians Mall. The problem is I can't tell the difference between a good and a bad guitar, be it two different brands or two pieces of the same brand and model. As I said earlier, the Pluto, the Yamaha and the Fender all seemed same to me.

I am not hung up on cutaways. I dont mind the normal shape guitars. I was just asking what will be best for me and will it matter if i choose one over the other.

15. born2tab

The f-Cut is used by leads so that you can easily make use of the higher frets to play solos where as the regular and the jumbo are used by rhythm guitarists where the purpose is not to utilise the higher frets but to get a rhythm .

16. yazi

yazi Banned

Ah, B2T, I think the f cut refers to the shape of the sound hole. There are a lot of cutways with round holes.

17. born2tab

There are only 3 kinda accoustic guitars
    -F-cut
    -Air-Hole
    -Jumbo

And I dont get what you mean by cutaways with a round hole.
    Cutaways will anyway have a hole but the thing is that they facilitate movement of our hand to higher frets which is a lil difficult on air-hole and jumbo guitars coz of their shape which dont allows or rather hinders the extent of finger stretching.

18. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Follow a simple checklist first.
    1). Play every fret and look for buzz
    2) Look over the guitar patiently and very meticulously. Compare the finish of say an expensive walden to the one in your hand, walk over to the walden and check them both out. I mean really check them out. Look for defects, sloppiness, similarities etc,
    3) If you're totally new to this I say screw the cutaways and go for a nice big jumbo. Some might have a tendency to get boomy but that has more to do with the strings on there. And don't worry about soloing. A Lot of folks will tell you cutaways are good for soloing. They're the ones who wish they played their own acoustics more often.
    4) If one feels good, tell the attendant to hold it while you try out another. Keep comparing back and forth till you get a good feeling about one or two
    5) Trust your instincts. From my experience i can tell you, at least with acoustics, brand names don't account for much in budget guitars.
    6) Once you buy one you like, when they offer you a free set of strings, turn it down and Buy a good set of imported bronze ones. It'll do wonders for the sound of any acoustic
    7) If you have a bad feeling about any guitar walk away, but try another anyway. Be prepared to stay there all day, If the attendant tries to rush you, firmly but respectfullly shoo him away.
    8) Again, trust your instincts. You'll be amazed at how much you know when don't let overthinking get in the way

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

A bad guitar is one that feels bad, apart from defects ofcourse and a good one is one that sounds and feels good to you. It doesn't matter what anybody else says.

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

my slammer feels damn good to me. But my ibanez, being much better feels more uncomfortable to me. Because of the large - METAL-frets.