My first electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by gulabjamun2, Jun 25, 2007.

1. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

man awesome user name wanna eat ya and waise gud guitar....don like fenders much bt i must say a gud buy

2. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

and how was the experience of playin ek hasina thi in usa

3. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Good... hope to get better

It was fun since no one was failiar with the tune in there, which I meant I could make a mistake and no one would know ;)

Well, seriously, I played every fret on every string while evaluating the guitars. I don't know how it is in India, but over here, you can play any number of guitars for any length of time without any sales pressure from the guys at the store.

I was surprised how different each guitar sounded at the same amp settings, even if it was the same brand and model.

In the end I was pleased with the piece I picked out and the "Made in Mexico" strat is great for the price.

:beer:

4. umangu

umangu New Member

Yes it is great shopping for guitars abroad, as long as you don't play Smoke on Water or Stairway!!

Nice guitar btw. I quite like the maple necks, even if I'm not a Strat fan.

Is it a maple slab, or a one piece neck witha skunk stripe down the back?

5. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Thanks

At the moment I can only dream of playing "Stairway to heaven" ;)
    Hope to get there in a year or so I guess :)

It has a bolt-on "C" shaped maple neck with a stripe down the back.

Did you call it a "skunk" strip ? Huh ? :think:

Thanks anyway

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why not?

What if I am looking for the Smoke on the water's tone

?

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

^ya even im confused, why not htese spongs, r they banned or something...

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Seems that every next guy that picks up a guitar plays those two songs; and a lot seem to be very smug.

I guess it gets irritating for the store-crew to listen to 2 songs 200 times a day, everyday.

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well, its not exactly the store-crew who is buying the guitar, is it?

10. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It's generally not the guys playing those 2 songs either ;)

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

whatever happened to "papa kehte hai"

12. umangu

umangu New Member

Not only will you piss the salesman off, but you'll also fall down in their opinion. They'll be happy fobbing you off with anything then, instead of helping you 'try to find your sound'!

If you impress the salesman, you'll be amazed at the kind of service you get.

13. umangu

umangu New Member

To further my point, here's a photo....

That's a sweet amp too isn't it. If I go in for a Marshall, a TSL combo will probably be my choice. Big Marshall sound, without blowing my ears out.

Other options are Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Vox AC30CC

Attached Files:

14. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Funny pic

@umangu : That pic of the marshall amp with the notice is beyond funny :grin: :grin:

Cheers!

15. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Nice guitar. but I'd save up for a different amp. The spider 15 just doesn't suit a strat apart from on the crunch(2nd) channel. Its too much of a tone suck on the other channels. Clean has a little too much reverb and the distortions a little too scooped.
    However, the spider 75 combo and above have some really nice twangy channels that suit a strat really well.

16. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

The 'right' tone...

The Line6 website helped me with the right settings to get the tone I wanted. They have a "pdf" file that outlines the settings you can use to achieve the tone of some popular songs (english, of course).

My fat strat/spider III 15 combo is capable of producing a variety of tones.
    As a matter of fact, the "clean" channel with the "reverb" turned up about halfway in combination with the 5th switch position on the fat strat conjures up my favorite "twangy" tone. The sustain is also awesome. :cool:

Objectively speaking, what sounds awesome to me may sound crappy to others. I guess "tone" is a matter of preferance.

Personally, I am very happy with my Spider III. :rock:

Thanks for your opinion... really appreciate it.

Cheers!

17. umangu

umangu New Member

If that's your first guitar and amp, you've done well for yourself.

18. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

@ umangu...

Thanks umangu :)

This is my first electric (and amp).

I started learning on a Ibanez Artwood series acoustic, which BTW was a very sweet guitar.

At this point I don't know if I will ever play a live gig in front of a large audience. I play only for my own pleasure :)

This amp is more than sufficient I guess even for a small group of 10-15 people partying at my house.

19. umangu

umangu New Member

Nothing wrong with little amps. I've played my tiny MG on stage, mic-ed of course and it got the job done perfectly.

Wouldn't do when big, over-driven sounds are desired though...