My first electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by gulabjamun2, Jun 25, 2007.

1. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

I bought my first electric today... a Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS in electron blue color. I spent nearly two hours every day over the last five days playing all sorts of guitars before arriving at my decision. During this period I played various guitars from Squire, Epihone and Ibanez. While I was impressed by a couple of Ibanez's, I felt the most confortable with the Fender Strat HSS.

I am far from being a "competent" guitarist but I think the Humbucking pickup at the bridge and the other two single coil pickups cover all the tones that I would like to play.

I am a beginer and had been playing an Ibanez acoustic (which was amazing by the way) for the last two months.

I picked up a "Line 6 spider III 15" to go with the Strat. This little amp plays along with the best of them (especially within the close confines of my bedroom ;) ). Since it has 4 channels and includes 6 effects, I can concentrate on getting better at playing the guitar instead of worrying about buying more equipment to go with it.

As an aside, the luthier at the store had removed the Tremolo arms of all the Fender Strats on display in the store.

Photos to follow...
    :beer:

2. paranoid13rohan

paranoid13rohan .: iNDiaN iDioT 3.0 :.

congrats ... thats gr8 ... waiting 4 d pics ...

3. anshammer

anshammer MR. - 2 - MINZ

hey.........congrats......!!!!! :beer:

njoyy.!!!!!!! :rock:

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

which strat is it... the squire or the mexican..
    btw congrats.. where did u buy it frm

5. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Mexican Fender Strat

This is a Fender "Made in Mexico" Strat in the HSS configuration.

I bought it at a "Guitar Center" store in Denver,USA. I got it for $399.99, which is roughly equivalent to Rs. 16000/-

Interestingly, they had an American Start HSS on sale for $600 (around Rs. 24000/-). I was tempted to get that one but to my "noob" ears both the strats sounded very similar. I tested both with the same amp (Line6 Spider III 15W) on the same settings playing the same song ("Ek Hasina Thi").

At this point and at my skill level, paying another 200 dollars (50% more) for an American did not make sense. I am very happy with the current setup of my strat.

When I get better, I guess I shall upgrade the bridge and/or the pickups.

6. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Pics...

Here are some pics.

I apologize in advance for the poor lighting.

Attached Files:

7. rohit

rohit New Member

seems like the prices have gone down a lot.
    six months ago mexican fender strat was for 29,000.I had searched many stores for mexican fender,they all told me same price-29,000.

congrats man it is a great guitar!

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Are you talking about Indian prices?

9. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

ofcourse uncle...in the states its about 400 dollars

@rohit : i doubt if mexican strats were ever Rs 29000 equivalent in the states...here they STILL cost that much and onstage i believe are selling it for 33000.

10. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

in india they are for 27-30k.. but in us it was always 399$..
    LUCKY AMREICANS :angry:

11. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Are there any authorised Fender Or Ibanez Showrooms in India??? (Dont tell me about Bhargavas or Furtados - they arent Authorised - they also dont stock them), something really like a Showroom...

12. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

err no...bhargavas delhi does stock strats and onstage also stocks strats and every store has ibanezs hahah!

i doubt if the musical equipment industry is big enough to merit factories setting up bases here and starting showrooms hahah!

13. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I heard there was an official showroom of Ibanez in Shillong. I also heard, metallica is going to perform there.

14. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

The MSRP for the Mexican Strat is $571.41 (now isn't that an odd price :)
    Due to the stiff competition amongst dealers, they never sell any guitar at MSRP.

Except for the Mexican Strat in "Sunburst brown" which sells for $435, all the other colors sell for $400.

And Lucky Desi's in the US too :)

Cheers to that !

15. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Do they give you a dollar back when you pay them $400?

16. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

its 399.99 so i think u should techinically ask for a cent back

17. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thats an awesome guitar dude....congrats!!!!

18. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

2 cents back

With a 8.5% sales tax, the total comes to $433.98 and yes [@ raj.hendrix] they do give the 2 cents back :cool:

19. gulabjamun2

gulabjamun2 New Member

Thanks

Thanks man :)

Now I just have to learn to play it better ;)

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

gulab jamuns ... yum