my doubts regarding amplifiers and pre amps

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

hi guys, this thread i have made to clear all my doubts regarding amps and preamps.

2. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

now alpha1, sansamp tri-ac is a preamp. i read that it has 3 amplifier models. now there are different preamps for different amp models? no in general preamp?
    and how much did the sansamp tri-ac cost you? didn't find it on bajaao

3. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

@mad_spartan: Are you talking about Tech 21 SansAmp TriAC Distortion Pedal? It is available on bajaao.com for Rs. 12.5 K.

4. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Yes, the sansamp is a single preamp. It has 3 settings for emulating 3 kinds of amp sounds.

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

is there any preamp for dual rectifier like tone?

and do you guys know how much the tubes used in preamp cost? the 12AX7 tubes?

7. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

first of all , a peramp is not actually an amp ..A preamp in no way amplifies your guitar signal..It mainly shapes it..For a dual rectifier tone...well you need to get a dual rectifier ..No device can replicate the tone you get from that ( all you people saying line6 should be shot).A dual rectifier is a head+speaker setup.That means,its both a preamp and poweramp.So ,it not only shapes your tone ,it also amplifies it to the point where it can be driven by a speaker.

The sansamp can be simply described as a preamp having 3 configurable amp models ..Each model having individual parameters which can be tweaked and thus giving you a variety of sounds.

8. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

satch_attack,
    The preamp DOES amplify the guitar signal to a line-level signal. Alongside, as you rightly said, it shapes the signal's tone and gain.

QUOTE from wikipedia
    "The pre-amplifier section of a guitar amplifier serves to amplify a weak instrument signal to a level that can drive the power amplifier. It often also contains circuitry to shape the tone of the instrument, including equalization and gain controls. "

High gain amplifiers usually have cascaded gain stages in the preamp section, each of which amplifies the signal before passing it on to the next stage, so that it pushes the tubes outside of their operating point which leads to our beloved tube-distortion.

The line-level signal is suitable to be then presented as an input to the power-amp section, which amplifies it to levels suitable for driving speaker loads.

That statement does not make a lot of sense. If you mean to say that the head is the preamp and the power-amp section is contained in the cabinet, then you're wrong. A dual-rectifier head would contain both the preamp and the power-amp.
    However, if you mean to distinguish between the dual-rectifier as a full amplifier vs the sansamp as just the preamp, then you're right.

9. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

dude i know that. preamp is connected to power amp. preamp shapes the tone, and amplifies it to line level and power amp amplifies it further to speaker level.

and as preamp shapes the tone, i should (or should not?) get Rectifier like distortion? and yeah i know that i cannot get tone exactly like Rectifier but at least close to it with a preamp?

and btw, my question was, is there any preamp pedal like sansamp that has rectifier model in it?

10. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

ok..let me make it very clear

Head= preamp + poweramp(dual rectifier)
    sansamp=only preamp
    speaker=self explanatory
    half stack=head+speakers(dual rectifer driving xyz speakers or cab )
    full stack= preamp+poweramp+speaker(separate units) example..somethin like a sansamp or a rectifer recording preamp hooked up to any poweramp driving xyz speakers
    combo amp=preamp+poweramp+speaker in one unit
    What i meant by not amplifying the signal is that ..you cant give your preamp output to a speaker .I am not aware of the level output amplification on the preamp section so i may have made a mistake on that.The essence of the preamp will always remain the same..tone shaping.
    If you want to get a dual rectifier kinda tone, you may get close with certain digital units .But important aspects like dynamics and individual characteristics cannot be replicated..

11. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

i know that. i just wanted to know if i connect a compact preamp modeler pedal (like sansamp) and connect it to a mixer, will it sound good? i mean like this -

Guitar --> Wah --> Compressor --> Modulation --> Delay/Reverb --> Preamp Pedal --> Mixer

will it sound good?

and does anyone here know the price and availability of Tubes in india?

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i think the compressor should come before the wah, i am not sure though. But i am pretty sure that time based effects like reverb and delay should come ideally after the preamp. putting reverb before the preamp makes the tone a bit too wet. anyway thats my experience.

13. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

what pedals and amp do you have? and how does your pedals chain go?

14. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

+1
    Time based effect pedals work best after the preamp before the poweramp. That is why most use them through their amp's FX send-return loop. The send return loop is an insert between the pre and the power amplification stage.