Musician's Messe Mumbai

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, May 29, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

So DMF, a college buddy of mine and I went to the Messe or Saturday.
    After miles of driving to Goregaon, we discovered that there was an entry fee...100 bucks. We got a cool bag and three zillion coasters in exchange though.
    We entered the (thankfully air conditioned) hall and walked for some time through some assorted pro audio,lighting, cinema hall seating stuff and then saw the SUN Media (Line 6 distributor) stall. They had a Vetta combo on display, unfortunately not hooked up.I enquired about Variax prices and was told some obscene figure like 35,000 (I got mine for 18k from London :rule: )
    Further on, one espied a roly poly Sivamani banging on djembes at a stall. I also saw the very cool RKS guitar line at the same stall, and chatted with the ABCD who was selling them. The guitars seemed nice with cool action and stuff, but I couldn't hear anything because they had no amp. Nice build quality though..Sperzel tuners and stuff. Apparently Prasanna has started playing the things..the cheaper ones were 35k and the flametop etc etc high end ones were 1.2 lakhs.:annoyed:
    Moving on...we saw the MASSIVE, and I mean MASSIVE, Furtado's stall. Outside, they had all manner of pianos and stuff.. Clavinolas, uprights and grand pianos by Yamaha, Steiner and some Chinese company ranging from 80 k to 8 lakhs..really beautiful stuff. They also had Yamaha's new L –series acoustics on display...from what little I could hear in the din they were quite nice.
    Also displayed outside were straps from Levi's, assorted Planet Waves stuff, Seymour Duncan pickups, Crybabys and also a cute Chinese girl who tried to sell me a huge bunch of multi-coloured pedals, which were obviously Boss knock-offs.
    Inside....there were 2000 (OK I'm exaggerating a little) people in a room meant for maybe 20, each playing their instruments as loudly as possible. They had also gathered to catch a glimpse of George Lynch playing with Sivamani, which I caught for around 10 minutes. It was ok types..it was a jazz duo type thing...he was playing some syncopated lines on accoustic while Sivamani was doing his usual thing.
    Now for the guitars...PAUL REED SMITH, baby!!!! Although only the SE series:annoyed:
    I played a Soapbar SE, Santana SE and the new Custom SE which has a maple top and flame veneer.. so it’s only different from a real PRS in that the top is not carved and of course, built in Korea. Really fantastic action and feel..the P 90 had great tone too. Played it through the new Digitech GNX3000 into a Laney combo...it was really pick sensitive on the blues patches and you could grind just by picking harder...nice. Couldn't really play around with patches because it was too noisy and I couldn't hear anything.
    They also had tons of Laney amps.. including the GH100L which Opeth uses.
    Also saw a Les Paul by a company called Guy Bennett which seemed to be very good...horribly heavy though.
    Stepping out, saw a bunch of violins and a huge double bass by a Chinese company.. the bass seemed ok.
    We went to the Roland stall next, where my friend had fun with the new Juno keyboard. I plugged into the Peavey JSX head (75 k head, 35 k 4*12) and played Manhattan through it...the 2nd crunch channel was very nice, the clean was ok. They also had 5150s (75 k for 212 combo) & JC120s apparently. Didn't try the insane channel too long, but experimented with the Fat Boost on clean..good fun. The salesman was very unfriendly though :annoyed: BTW, I took the PRS catalog with me for later drooling purposes.
    We took a well-deserved lunch break and came back to the On Stage stall, where they had lots of Strats as well as Dunlop/MXR products. Saw the EVH phaser and a Heil talkbox. Moved on to the Bhargava stall, which was looking quite forlorn and empty. They had a JEM 777 and some RGs, and of course I pounced on the chance to play the first lefty guitar I could find through their Marshall.
    Our last port of call was the Audioplus/Korg stall, where my friend freaked out over a Korg Karma.
    DMF and I played through Vox' new tube amp with modelling, and hit on the best tones we had heard through the day. Very very musical cleans and distortion..lovely breakup. A must buy. 18k for a 15W, 22 for a 30 W.
    They also had a Behringer KX1200 keyboard amp for 18k, which I'm going to buy for my POD XT Live once it arrives.
    So that was our day..awesome fun! Let's hope this sort of thing happens more often. Also felt great to see all the stuff that's now available in our country...at prices that are not inflated to insane levels.

2. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

No t00b amps (maybe except Laney and Vox)?

3. abhijitnath

Likha to!!
    Peavey JSX (Joes Satriani signature).
    Laney GH100L.
    Peavey 5150..which wasn't there but you can order it.
    The Vox tube amp which also has modelling.
    Aur kya chahiye?
    I think I saw some Fender amps at the On Stage stall but didn't stop and see what they were.

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Man i wish i could have been there. They'd have drag me out kicking and screaming if i had got my hands on some of the amps and guitars.

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Man i wish i could have been there. They'd have to drag me out kicking and screaming if i had got my hands on some of the amps and guitars.
    BTW were the multi coloured pedals of a company called BELCAT?

No JSX combo??

6. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

:buu:

But no Marshalls
    :slap:

:protest:

7. abhijitnath

No..I have the catalog of the company...will tell you the name tomorrow.
    They didn't have the combo there but I'm sure they would order it for you if you wanted.
    No tube Marshalls, yes:(

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I want Mesa/Boogie!

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I was so freakin Busyy... I wanted to go there on Sat... I got so held up with workk... I cant belive it I missed it... Abhijanath..... which stall were displaying the DUNCANS ? O r rather whao had the Duncans?

10. abhijitnath

Furtado's. He had a JB, a '59, a P-90 and also some Strat pickups. I presume they'll be there at the store too.

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Thanks Abhijantah... Funny I whenever I ask them They Just they dont hasve Pickups or simply OUT OF STOCK....hmm I alredy have a JB.. may be ill makwe a trip to them for a 59 or may be another JB... did say how much?

12. abhijitnath

4750 for the '59 I think..mostof them will be sub-5k.
    And please start spelling my name correctly:)

13. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

hmm mm thanks abhi :) appreciate it.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

"Abhi Janta". Hey launch a political party man!

15. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ exactly what I was thinking. Pwned but not quite...;)

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ :RollLol:
    Aww c'mon .... it was not meant ot be that way.

:secret:

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I think i will make a trip to Furtados... hmmmm I wish ther was someone else out here who had the Duncans... :)
    Hmm I better start reading Names properly.. before typing them..... :)

18. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

how much for the PRS....sid said its close to 2.5 lakhs???

19. abhijitnath

No no..the SE series (which were the only ones displayed) were 35-40 k. The US-made PRSes would be super expensive (and therefore weren't there).

20. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ Yup, he's right. Sorry wizzy, I thought you had asked about the Custom PRSes that me and abhi normally drool over.

Even so, for the SEs, 35k-40k is way too much in my opinion especially when you have *cough* Thailand *cough*. :D