Music School for western voice in India????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Apra, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Apra

Apra New Member

i want a profession in music....
    ryt nw i m a vocalist in a band....thinkin of improvin myself....

2. Apra

Apra New Member

nd thanku all fr replyin....didnt thought tht i will gt such a response as i m new here....

3. komal29

komal29 New Member

why dont u take the necessary actions for it instead of thinking.Successful people act soon while others will be thinking..like training yourself in music..get enrolled in performing arts degree..develop networking with music related people..promote yourself,if with original works even better on public platforms and social sites..and most importantly practice practice practice..!! Prepare your mindset to endure the rejections that will be coming your way coz lets face it,there are so many trying their luck out there with enough talent and stuff..So getting noticed would be really difficult
    i heard this shankar mahadevan say at acheivers club program..if you constantly deliver quality stuff..one day you will definitely get noticed..guess this applies to each and everything in life..!!
    All the best @Apra..Best wishes Komal :)

4. Apra

Apra New Member

i need to know abt some gud school tht cn provide the classes....

5. Apra

Apra New Member

wats SATB???

6. Apra

Apra New Member

i guess u shud watch a muvie.....SISTER ACt.....it has a difrnt point of view....i likd tht....

7. komal29

komal29 New Member

i have asked the same question to the person who mentioned it..but no reply has come from him yet

8. komal29

komal29 New Member

who 'u' ? talking to me @Apra?

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Relationships and politics are the only two things that will take you to the top in ANY FIELD.

10. wylder

wylder Member

SATB is short for Soprano/Alto/Tenor/Bass. This is the usual 4 part choir formation used in churches. Solo singing does not require as much of sight-reading skills and chordal theory.

If you are a beginner to singing (never had formal music lessons) and would like to improve, concentrate on the basics like rhythm, melody and harmony. Here are a few pointers on what to work on...

Rhythm: Try keeping time with different rhythm signatures like common meter(4/4), march/double-time (2/4), waltz (3/4) and 6/8. Once you are comfortable there, go into the less common timings like blues-shuffle (12/8), sevens (7/8), fives (5/4), nines (9/8). After that, you could go into compound timings like (15/16) which are usually seen only in very technical musical pieces.

Melody: Initially, work on singing scales. Then try singing songs with accompaniment in key. You might need someone with a trained ear to listen to your singing and correct you for this else try recording and listening to yourself. Once you master this, try mastering accidental notes like flat 7s, flat 5s, flat 3 etc. Also, you can work on expanding your vocal range here by trying to hit an extra note periodically when practicing scales.

Harmony: Start with octave up/down harmonies then try 2 semitones up/down diatonic. Then try 5th up/down diatonic and the 5th up/down chromatic. That should be plenty for most uses.

11. wylder

wylder Member

I guess that the above would be good enough for an amateur singer. You could then get into dynamics exercises but that requires a good guide to help develop. Anyways for starters, dynamics involves controlling the volume and tone of your voice and incorporating tremolo or vibrato into your singing.

Best of luck with your singing...

12. komal29

komal29 New Member

wow man..amazing piece of information and knowledge..thanks a lot @wylder

13. Apra

Apra New Member

Thanks to all for there replies....bt guys its not helpin me much.....wanna know abt sm school.....plz help me in regarding this.....

14. wylder

wylder Member

15. komal29

komal29 New Member

@

@Apra,hope these help.It took me a lot of time to remember all that i knew,then i Googled it for you.After all it was was not so hard [mobid_angel..u remember something?..its not for u @Apra..just ignore..:)]..as for you particular mention of 'western voice'..dunno if below posts help coz am just mentioning schools about which i know

first and foremost if you are not yet in grad and want to make music your profession then,you have the option to choose Bachelors in Fine Arts with vocals as specialization and i guess many universities offer that degree if you check out a bit.Even you can get masters and Ph.D in it later

Bachelors in music degree from Ignou is availabe as far as i remember when i had checked out the prospectus.but i think its only the delhi campus.you find out the details

ยป BM: Bachelor of Music - IGNOU: News, Results and Courses

A.R.Rehman's school is doing good and many new singers in his albums are students of his school it seems and lucky you! the good news is that they have called for applications as am writing this .You can try now itself
    https://kmmc.in/

As far as i know about 'namma Karnataka' these are the oppotunities available..and very good ones

Mysore in Karnataka is a heavan for learners.You ought to come and see the 500 plus acres Manasagangotri University campus and you will know..There is Karnataka State Gangubai Hangal University for music and performing arts-india's second university with entrance test and admissions.
    Music & Performing Arts University

Even SALA at mysore offers distance degree in collaboration with Karnataka State Open university[which is in manasagangotri campus]
    Sri Allamaprabhu Lalithkala Academy

Bharatiya vidya bhavan at namma bengaluru is another option to look out for
    Bhavan Karnataka

if you can afford to go abroad..there are few below

Julliards school for performing arts is considered world's best and many world renowed musicians are its products.one of my senior went there after graduation and got a degree in piano and today its his profession instead of being an engineer.am so damn proud of him :)
    Music - Degrees & Programs - The Juilliard School

another world renown school is Trinity...our ARR got his music degree from here only :)
    Trinity College London | Home

oxford faculty of music..i have posted the webpage which tells u how to apply for it
    Oxford University Faculty of Music | Applying

CAmbridge university offers music degree as well.. Faculty of Music

bharatiya vidya bhavan uk centre
    Welcome to Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan , UK Centre

All the best for your aspirations.May God Bless

16. pricelesspatche

pricelesspatche New Member

Hi....I am pricelesspatches!!
    I really really like INDIAN voice movie and song.
    Thanks for sharing brilliant post.........:)

Custom patches

17. Apra

Apra New Member

Thanks wylder...well hav u yourself been to Nathaniel school....???nd i m lookin fr solo singing.....

18. Apra

Apra New Member

Thanks komal....thanks fr the links.... :)

19. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

where do you stay???...you get trinity degree in india also...some of the music schools are affiliated to it..for eg delhi college of music...calcutta school of music is also there which provides diploma...

20. wylder

wylder Member

I haven't been to Nathaniel myself. Always wanted to but found it difficult to balance out my job with the classes and my weekend band jam sessions. But I've had a couple of friends/ex-band-mates who had taken lessons from there for keys and drums and their feedback was very positive. These guys were pretty good at their music already so I consider their feedback pretty reliable. Besides their vocal instructor Lillian is pretty renowned when it comes to vocal training. If you check out their site, there is a video of the singing lessons in session.

Solo singing just lays more emphasis on the rhythm and melody and on having an extended vocal range. You still will need to learn some amount of harmony especially if you want to compose your own tunes over a given chord structure or if you want to guide your back-up vocalists. Also learning basic music theory helps you communicate better with other musicians so that you can picture what they are saying a lot more clearly.

In any case, I think you are better off giving the Nathaniel folks a call and speaking with Lillian rather than relying on my incomplete knowledge. I had a chat with both Lillian and Jason long back to inquire about keyboard lessons. They were both very helpful and honest about what they offer at their school and the best suited program that I should go for.