Music is an ART or SCIENCE

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by DRBILLA, Jul 22, 2008.

?

Music creativity needs theories/knowledge of scales etc or not

1. YES

40.0%
  2. NO

60.0%
  1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

sorry, I've been a little lazy. Do you know anything about chord families?

Try reading up on some of the articles here on chords and see if they answer a few of your questions. If they don't, I can try helping out.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

'D minor (Dm C Bb A Am G Gm F )'
    These chords should be made up of notes form the Dm scale..
    I am not sure about the above progression(cause A, Am does not usually come in the same family) but thats the genaral rule..

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

But theory is important, thats not a debatable fact.. Youj have to extreamly talented to become great without theory..

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well, the A comes in when it's a D harmonic minor.

6. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

yaa i knw abt chord families. And that was not a chord progression , i know G A are not in the family of Dm But they often come and fit so correctly. Y dis wat is the theoritical explaintion for it, der mst be some relation for dis to happen. I hav been in theory much later n not been to any guitar class. My frnd taught me few basics and major minor chord, its now only that i hav been into theory so it is sometimes confusing and i really dont get it y i m learning all the scales modes and so many things frm the books dat i hav, bcoz ealier also i was able to find the notes and chord pretty correctly widout knowing much of theory with my own fundas and now also the same. I need to improve myself.

7. DRBILLA

DRBILLA New Member

All that required is to select the notes or chords whose combination sound good to ear. No hard and fast rule is there to make a progression. Chords/notes may belong to any family/scale. These theories I never understood. When I try to go through these always got confused.So no more theories. ;-) be simple and creative.

8. amitrichardxess

yaa i knw abt chord families, and that was not a chord progression i knw G A r not in the family of Dm but dey do cum often and sound vry correctly. y so wat is theoritical reason for it, der mst be some explaination for it. like dis many chord progression i m not able to relate them y dis happen. My knwldge of thoery is not much bcoz i hav not learn guitar frm any guitar tutor jst frm my frnd at begenin i m in hurry jst wanna play song on guitar so learn major n minor chord and lots of song without knowing abt theory for a year an half, then i learn few thing so i cud my self able find correct chord for the song and develop few fundas frm frnds. It now that i hav been in much of theory diff typs of scale modes n all such thing. But it is not helping much my improvment is not much. i Dont know y i m learning all dis but jst learning.

Cannot relate some progression like

Dm Bb G C [ y G here]

Dm Bb C A [y not Am for A for dis kind of progrrssn]

and this G Bm Em E Am C D G C B G D [ how come E & B here ]

or
    E A E A E A C D E then G C D G C D C D E [if dis is Emaj scale den how come G C D fits here]

9. amitrichardxess

thanx for replies all of u

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

simple. what you're playing is not in one major or minor scale...except for the Dm C Bb A which is in D harmonic minor.

Why? because the guy who made the song wanted to make it that way I guess. I'm too lazy to look at the structure but it seems unconventional.

Now theory would come in if you were asked to play over these chords, wouldn't it?

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

scales or key can change in a song ..

12. amitrichardxess

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk