Music is an ART or SCIENCE

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by DRBILLA, Jul 22, 2008.

?

Music creativity needs theories/knowledge of scales etc or not

1. YES

40.0%
  2. NO

60.0%
  1. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Nope, but the theory is there for sure..
    Secondly, for playing better solos, chords etc, you need to know which note to play and which NOT to play. That's a kind of science too! wotsay?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think this is where what tho said in his second post is most significant.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

which is why I differentiated between science and technical knowledge.

Science is universal, technical knowledge is not.

Of course, definitions overlap though so the statement seems a little stupid. eg- isn't science itself technical knowledge?

4. DRBILLA

DRBILLA New Member

I think to make good music or solo one does not necessarily need knowledge of scales. Most folk musicians, or those in country side never go through so called scales. Its about their creativity not the scales. Its basically an art which is deliberetely being made a science to make it complicated for lazy guys like meeeeee. :p

5. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

+ how many times do you see that there are scale shifts in songs and still they rock?
    Or is that something different?

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

um, not that I disagree with you but you should know that their practice is a lot more stringent than you seem to think it it. Usually, they don't just pick up an instrument and make a song.

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

what?

8. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

as in .. many songs have chords/notes which are out of a particular scale isn't it?
    Still they can be melodious.

So if someone music was science, then such a thing should be a miracle right?

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

no, there is a logic to the way it's done.

unless you're Syd Barret. (sp?)

10. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

hmmm..

reminds me of Martina .. Her Majesty Martina Magnificent.

Miss her <3

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You are confusing scales with key elfascinating.

All songs in popular music are set to a key (major or minor) from where the chords are derived.

Chords of a major key are
    I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VIIdim
    The m represents a minor chord and not the interval.

Chords of a minor key are
    Im IIdim III IVm Vm VI VII
    And as you may already know the changed intervals are minor III, minor VI and minor VII (the chords are major though)

Which means that in the key of G major the various chords you can choose from are
    G Am Bm C D Em F#dim
    While in the key of G minor the chords would be
    Gm Adim Bb Cm Dm Eb F

So any song which includes only these chords would completely be in the key of G major or minor depending on the chords you choose.

Musicians create variety by choosing chords that seem to be out of key at first, but if you analyse the progressions you may find a logic in the way they are progressing. This is especially notable in jazz music.

Scales are one way of playing the melodies over the given chords. They represent notes whose intervals with the chord tones are consonant or even dissonant, and the musician is free to choose which notes he wants, to generate whatever feeling/mood he is trying to achieve.

It is important to know that while arpeggiating chords is usually the most consonant way to follow changes in a song, many different scales can contain the same chord tones, but the other notes in the scale may provide the musician with many more notes to put up against the chords.

Even though a lot of the musical greats of old (famous or not) didn't have a formal music theory education, they knew exactly what they were doing. They knew their fretboards inside out, and in their mind, from experience and from their own creativity, they knew what notes/licks the wanted to play, and when. Sure they didn't know that the scale had a name, but they knew the set of notes they were choosing from. Sure they may not have known beforehand which intervals are consonant and which are dissonant but they knew exactly which notes sounded good against a certain chord.

Music theory gives you a more technical path to the same goal - to be able to make beautiful music.

12. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

theory sucks no particular rule in music

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

and most people who say this tend to not know any.

The second part of your post I agree with.

14. thehundredthone

I imagine your improv and songwriting skills are beyond compare.

15. amitrichardxess

@bjr: theory ya i don't know much, the more i get in2 the theory, more i get confuse there is so much of violation wat can i do. I will only say dat one shud know theory but can't rely on it evrytime.

@thehundredthone: no its not like that still lot more things to be learn.

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's not a great idea to call it violation....I'd call it bending the rules. See...in physics, chemistry etc. we learnt a shitload of laws in junior classes only to find out later that they were all inaccurate and had to be bent here and there. Incorrect analogy but it'll help you understand...it's a similar thing in music where you first learn rules and then learn how to get around them and so on.

Like I said, I agree with you that the rules are not really concrete. It's a good idea to keep that in mind.

17. thehundredthone

Theory != Rules

I don't know why you drew that analogy. Theory helps you understand the music better. It also gives your stronger grounds to make more music. But it doesn't set any rules a to how to play music. Really, there's a difference between laws and theory.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Correct. What I said was purely in the context of what he was talking about which is why I said it wasn't a great analogy.

I tend to regard theory as guidelines.

19. amitrichardxess

@ bjr/thehunredthone: ok guys i agree with u. thank you for clearing doubts:)

Plzz help little more doubts. when we have a chord progression that starts with a minor chord then we have possiblities of having 5 major chords and 3 minor y so, i m telling this with my experience of various song i have played and seing chord progression there. Like in family of D minor (Dm C Bb A Am G Gm F )
    i have figured this out, not all chord appeared in songs but most of it.

20. amitrichardxess

is dis thread is closed or wat??