Music industry wants to take action against song lyrics and tab sites!!

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by death_metal_fan, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

Any idea how long this's gonna last???

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

If people had brains (which dont look only into money), this wouldnt last at all :mad:

3. shak

shak Harrr!

its ridiculous .. i sent an email a few days back to mpa .. and said .. that hey!! how can you justify that the royalties for the tabs and sheet music lies with the artists? .. its we (public and tabbers) who tab all the songs .. and work our sweat ... the tabs, hence, belong to us .. and if we want to share them with others, its our problem ..
    and the reply?
    dear mr. omar .. thanks for your concerns, we are doing our utmost to protect the artists right, and please dont forget that its the artists who come with the music in the first place. regards some tracy "rude" blah blah .. now how does this answer my question??

4. shsnawada

^^ I think its some computerized thing. A human wouldnt give such an answer. Oh...wait, its MPA (subhuman)... Sorry mate. You never know.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

hahahahha ^^^ very right!!!!

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

So technically, before playing a cover of any song I shud take the permission of MPAA....:shock::help:..next they will want to bug all the homes to find out who is playing cover songs....god save us!!

7. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

My song book is still running..

8. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Noooooo. I learnt most of the songs I know thanks to this site....

dont they realise that sites like this actually encourage ppl to listen to different types of music? Which in turn makes them buy more cds?

Wat abt people in countries like India..I cant remember the last time i saw an "official" tab book here.

9. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Its the most outrageous thing that can happen .. Most musicans have grown by using them !! How can they do it ...

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    U pay the music record companies, for learning their songs.

Afterall it is "their" intellectual-property.

Dont you pay fees in school/college/etc?

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

And then they are going to sue all those kids covering them in their school or college competitions too.

12. shsnawada

Yeah, the record companies are sharing "their" intellectual property out of generosity

I dont pay for the internet which has similar stuff :p:

13. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Nice point dood ....
    Whn we can rip off ...the mp3s ... they r not bothered .. but r more bothred about the tabs and lyrics !!!!!!!

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

shs
    That is a privelege.

The only reason why you get free "stuff" on internet is because ppl are willing to "donate" it to you, pretty much like Ronnieanand will be willing to teach you guitar for free.

But that doennt mean you start expecting, nay DEMANDING, that ppl start teaching you guitar for free.

Nanda: music industry is bothered about mp3 ripping and piracy.

15. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

You're right about mp3 piracy.
    But writing tabs is not copyrighted...it is not for commercial use and not stealing from the artist. It is merely an interpretation of a particular song. However, if you copy an authorised tab book or scan it and post it, it is illegal.

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But then aint they made from music which is the property of those companies?

18. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I guess if ur trying to figureout the tabs/chords by urself and are sucessfull then it shud be ok.

in that case the text book printers have a right to sue the students who mug up the exact words and write them on the answer papers

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Correct.

But that thing is used only for personal use. Not meant for public distribution.

Unlike photocopying of the book. Infact the ripping of AudioCDs too.
    As long as you have bought the CD, and ripped it for your personal use, it is legal.

But realesing that ripp to public is illegal.

b.t.w. The text book publishers can sue you coz u dont write exact words + hand written media is exempted.
    The law holds true only for the means that allow you to mass reproduce the origianl at marginal price, without any loss in copy.
    Eg print, audio, video.

20. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

hmm..got it now..

but does that hold for all tabs....there might be artits/bands who want to spread the tabs/chords among fans, dont u think they shud be exempted from this rule