Mumbai is the rudest city in the world!

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Mumbai manners may have struck bottom on the world league table of 'city civility', with India's financial capital now suddenly receiving the Raspberry Award for the 'rudest city' on the planet.

The Reader's Digest raspberry was handed to allegedly mulish, mutinous Mumbai after a 35-city survey by the pocket-sized magazine.

Waggish etiquette experts said the survey might reflect the magazine's pint-sized worldview but the Digest 's British chief editor insisted it was compiled by reporters in the principal city, in each of the 35 countries where it is published.

Source

I knew Mumbai was rude but never imagined it would rank as the rudest in the world! :shock:

2. vini

vini Repeat Offender

oh bad....i thot its delhi!!

lol @ Raspberry Award

3. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Delhi is actually quite polite when compared to Mumbai anytime.

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Yeah I know I read abt it in todays papares too.. it carried the article from Readers Digest...... Actualy i am not surprised at all.... Its really bad actually.....

5. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

er, on the strength of the fact that most delhi-ites start and finish every sentence with BC and/or MC or some derivative thereof, i always thought delhi was a lot more rude and boorish compared to mumbai.

i really find it hard to believe. bombay and its people more often then not come across as sophisticated and decent. and surely more soft spoken than delhi, chandigarh and heartland cities like agra, jaipur, varanasi etc.

6. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

Delhi Rocks!!:grin:

7. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

THNX GOD I LIVE IN KOLKATA (and not "leave" in Mumbai :grin:)

8. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

delhi damn i agree mumbai ppl r rude

but delhi is full of tharki biharis no women is safe ther

9. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

still proud to b a mumbaite

its one of d bst place

home for bollywood home for underworld financial capital of india

all big names live in mumbai

hatta sawan ki ghatta intuk lay pintuk lay mumbai is d best :p:

now again in news for this award :rock:

10. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

u know da only polite part of New Delhi is da central and south western party of Delhi!!!!!!!!!

11. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Palika Bazaar has some real sincere , hard-working and HONEST people !

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

*Ahem*
    JATs and Panjabis (to some extent) are more than Biharis (both in numbers, as well as "tharak")

13. I was reading the newspaper today when I found this:

Survey calling Mumbai 'rudest city' comes under fire from expats, tourists
    Dubai: Mumbai is 'matter of fact', Mumbai is 'practical' and does not poke its nose into other people's business, and Mumbai is extremely 'polite when required', said non-resident Indians from Mumbai.

go here: https://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10048608.html

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ MWahahahaaaaahahaaaahaaaa
    Some ppl get senti just so fast.

Ego thinner than soap bubble.

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I cant imagine why these polls are taken so seriously. As it is the subject was vague....measuring rudeness, wtf!

To see this on NDTV broke my heart and to see Manmohan Singh comment on it (I think he did) even more so. It's just an RD survey. What is the issue here other than ruffled egos?

16. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i totally disagree

no city can be as bad as Delhi!!!!!!!
    mumbai can be rude........but where civility is concerned mumbais better.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Manmohan Singh is a puppet.

Someone must have egged him to do that.

18. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

how very true....... i saw a 7 yr old caling another guy ch**tiye :shock: :shock:

19. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

meanwhile at the other end -

New York City tops in courtesy, says Reader's Digest By Ellen Wulfhorst
    Tue Jun 20, 3:18 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York, despite a reputation as a fast-moving, tough-talking town, ranked as the world's most polite major city, according to a survey released on Tuesday.

Outscoring large cities in 35 countries, New York proved best in three tests of courtesy, according to the survey by Reader's Digest.

Reporters for the magazine conducted a "door test," to see who would hold open a door, a "document drop" to see who would help pick up dropped papers and a "service test" to measure if salesclerks said thank you for a purchase.

Four out of five New Yorkers passed the courtesy tests, the magazine reported.

"It certainly contradicts the popular stereotype that a lot of people have about New York," said Conrad Kiechel, international editorial director for the Pleasantville, N.Y.-based magazine.

Specifically, 90 percent of New Yorkers passed the door test, 55 percent passed the document drop and 19 out of 20 clerks passed the service test.

Coming in a close second was Zurich at 77 percent, Toronto at 70 percent, and Berlin, Sao Paulo and Zagreb, Croatia, all with 68 percent.

Following down the list were Auckland, Warsaw, Mexico City, Stockholm, Budapest, Madrid, Prague, Vienna, Buenos Aires, Johannesburg, Lisbon, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Manila, Milan, Sydney, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Ljubljana, Jakarta, Taipei, Moscow, Singapore, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, Bucharest and Mumbai.

The more than 2,000 tests of behavior showed that people under 40 were more courteous than those over 40, men were more polite to other men and women were more polite to other women.

The region that most lacked courtesy was Asia, where eight out of nine cities tested finished in the bottom 11, Reader's Digest said.

It conducted the tests in the most populous cities in 35 nations worldwide from late February to mid-March.

People around the world tended to offer the same explanation for their polite behavior, Kiechel said.

"People said they were polite because they had been brought up to be that way," he said.

The study is published in Reader's Digest's July issue of its 50 editions worldwide.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ So you see.
    Courtesy, not the language is what matters.

In Delhi, when ppl hurl abuses at you, it is not to be taken word by word literally.
    The same abuse they use to address their frends, their relatives, and use the same colorful language even in front of their parents.