Multi-fx Pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sridhar11_2, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Hey i'm in the market for a new multi-fx unit mainly for the effects and not for the distortion and amps....i'm more than happy with the tone i have at the moment. I was looking for a unit i could use along with my analog setup. I narrowed it down to mainly the Digitech RP500 and the Zoom G7.1ut . I have a Zoom G2 which i used to use in my pedalboard (also have one rack unit which is good but hard to integrate in the live setup) so i know the new zoom is of good quality.

So between the 2 i'm leaning towards the RP500 cause it has the amp bypass feature which lets me use just the effects. But the zoom is cheaper and easily available. Which of the two do you think is best? keep in mind i'm mainly a instrumental blues/jazz type player.Also is there any other unit i'm ignoring?

Thanks

2. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

hey is the rp 500 available here i think its preety good..how much muh does it cost here???

3. sridhar11_2

The RP500 is not available here yet and even when it comes i think it might be in the 17k-20k range seeing that the RP350 here is around 13k.. I'm trying to get mine from the US

4. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

I'm using the RP500 and compared to some of the other Line 6 etc available, this one does justify the word "modelling".

However, I AM using the amp/cab simulator quite heavily as thats one of the good features. I wont go and say it accurately mimics a $2000 Marshall, but it does come very close.

The effects offered are good. The best feature I find id that u can use the 5 footswitches in 2 modes. In normal mode, you can assign a patch to each switch, and so u can have a clean fender champ with chorus and reverb on 1 footswitch, and pressing footswitch 2 will take you to a chunky marshall ballsy rhythm/blues tone. the third switch might be used for leads and somehting and so on.
    In the pedalboard mode, each footswitch acts as a stomp box. So you have 5 stompboxes namely the compressor, distortion, chorus, delay and reverb laid out. and u can switch each one of them on and off. Combine this with simulator bypass and a good tube amp, and you'll love the tone it puts out.

Im not too sure how accurate the stomp box models are, as I have never played on actual boxes, but they do sound good. U can always use distortion as lead boosts in your setup.

At $300, its worth buying IMHO.

5. sridhar11_2

Thanks man.. that was very helpful.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

yamaha magic stomp ?

7. sridhar11_2

I think its discontinued now man...any other ideas?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

you might get it 2nd hand.

how about a rack unit for FX ;) ?

9. sridhar11_2

Racks are inconvinient for live use without foot controllers. I already have a zoom reverb rack unit (with effects). I'm not too sure bout even the zoom or digitech pedals now. Might just save up and get the Tonelab LE or try to be patient and keep buying up induvidual pedals one by one.

10. rho

rho New Member

Theres a Korg AX 3000G which is a very good modeller & ppl claim it to be even better than the BOSS ME-50. No doubt, digitech are good, but they have an electronic overtone to everything. Zoom processors are good too, but difficult to use & not that good build quality. The Korg one i mentioned plays up everything from metal to fuzz styles.. Easy to use too..

More Info: https://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=AX3000G
    Cost: 17K-18K INR

If you want even better induvidual styles pedal(compact-distortion) go for BOSS.

More Info: https://www.bossus.com/gear/productlist.php?ParentId=90
    Cost: Around 5K-6K INR./Each.

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Every processor has amp bypass feature, even the 4k RP50.
    So dont go for one just for that.

The boss is supposed to be best for effects. I have one (GT6) and i can vouch for the delay, chorus, tremolo, reverb etc but to dont use the fancier effects.

12. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

if your only looking for effects...go for any of the boss multi fx pedals..The entire rp series sound very digital to me ..The gnx series are the ones which are really good overall..The zoom's effects n amp modelling is good if you do consider getting a pedal with decent amp modelling ..

13. vi4u2001

vi4u2001 New Member

Thats right go for Boss GT6 or GT8 OR gt10,GT 10 Is costly But gt8 is a great deal if you are looking for amp modeller.You check out .why I am telling is I want to sell my Gt 8 for some personal reasons.