Most influence on music scenario

Discussion in 'Bengali Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by debankan, Dec 12, 2005.

?

Biggest impact on Bangla music scenario

Poll closed Jan 11, 2006.
  1. Chandrobindoo

41.7%
  2. Bhoomi

41.7%
  3. Fossils

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Guys please see that we don't have fights. We prefer to discuss and not fight like dogs. Please have this in mind..:)

nIK!:nw:

2. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

ats, rock is about tune, not distortion, though I would say distortion is very commonly used in rock.It is also about the theme of the song. Mohineer Ghoraguli did start the Bangla band culture, but they were not famous in their time. I am a fan of quite a few of their songs, though unfortunately I didn't manage to get hold of too many. But what I am trying to say is that the modern generation knows about Mohineer Ghoraguli only becausebands like Chandrabindoo and Bhoomi have managed to make band music popular. If you are a member of the current generation i.e below atleast 25, I am sure you heard about Mohineer Ghoraguli after you heard about some other band. Even if by chance you did hear aboutMohineer Ghoraguli first, ask the people around you which was the band they heard first.

And I am also very interested to know your defination of rock.

3. Strat

Strat Floydian

Ei jaigay kichhu kotha na bole parlum na.

I think very few people can properly define what rock music is. 'Rock' is perhaps a vast and quite inevitably, vague super-genre that contains numerous genres, subgenres, sub-subgenres which are indeed harder and harder to differentiate and classify. Someone said there's some rock being invented every year (like last year they coined the term "Housewife rock", can you believe it?).

Dictionaries define rock as a 'popular' style of music heavily influenced by blues. Then why there's so much rivalry between rock and 'pop'? Many prefer to say that Rock is originated from the basis of anti-establishment. If so, then why there's a genre 'pop rock'? It's quite long that rock became another commercial giant like hiphop or classic pop. You name alternative rock? Alternative music has already tasted its commercial success too much to blend in.

I think it's very foolish and oddly pretentious to tell someone that he/she doesn't know what rock is. There's very few pieces of popular music that you cannot term rock for the sake of argument... And you cannot certainly tell an artist that he does not create rock music. For example, Robbie Williams is not popularly known as a 'rocker' but he has written songs that can make many so-called professional rock stars feel jealous.

I also think every country has their own arrangement of rock. Have you heard the band "Toto" from Cuba? Notice their instrumental arrangement and you'll see what I'm talking about. So before dismissing a Bangla band with comments like "But they're not rock..." one should keep in mind that there may not be the classic arrangement of "guitars bass and drums" in their songs, nor they may have classic aggressive lyrics. The culture of rock is getting richer everyday with so many different points of view, so many styles of tune, so many diverse ideas. Thus I feel it's better to hear a song and wonder why it's not rock before wince and dismiss it.

:rock:

4. debankan

Very well said

5. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

ats shld havc said tht mg made bangla "band mukhi" rather dan rock mukhi, coz tht fossisl deserves

6. muse123

muse123 New Member

listen to the song shono shudhijon... it's original version was recorded in the 70's where gautam chatterjee had played the guitar solo... that's the first ever bangla rock song. this song was remade by chatterjee and krosswindz in the mohin sompadito album khyapar gaan. so technically were the first band to do bangla rock music.

7. muse123

muse123 New Member

listen to the song shono shudhijon... it's original version was recorded in the 70's where gautam chatterjee had played the guitar solo... that's the first ever bangla rock song. this song was remade by chatterjee and krosswindz in the mohin sompadito album khyapar gaan. so technically they were the first band to do bangla rock music.

8. LEFTY_GUITARIST

^^^^ok sorry lakkhicharta bhule jacchilam coz ekhane lakkhichara nei......

members

rupam da is far better dan suvojt

nilu dar theke deep bhalo

risop partho dar theke bhalo

sonket er theke chanda da far better

ar gabu da is way beter dan bubun

so, fossils wins it , talent wise

but rupams music and lyrics steals da show, ontotoh pokhe iron maiden er troper copy
    mare na

9. debankan

Aami ekbaro bolini je Mohineer Ghoraguli rock gaan koreni. Aami nijei Prithibi jothesto pochhondo kori. Tobe ekta band ke rock band tokhoni bola jai jokhon 8 out of 10 compositions of the band is rock. Also, I think the topic here was influence on music scenario, not rock scenario. I will ask Lefty and others not to deviate from the topic. And I say again, Mohineer Ghoraguli was not popular enough in their own time to influence the entire music scenario. It is only now that they are gaining immense popularity.

10. muse123

muse123 New Member

boss nilu theke deep lafalafi te bhalo, bajnay na. ar sonket chandror theke onek better.ar gabu ar bubun?? hahaha chad ar p*d er moto comparison.

11. muse123

muse123 New Member

mohin na thakle aj band movement hoto na. tomra hoyto bhule jachho 90's e jei album gulo beriyechhilo tar ekta huge underground following chhilo. i mean HUGE. tokhon band as such was not a mainstream phenomenon. baki band der obodan achhe nishchoy tobey mohin er obodan shobchey beshi

12. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

well nilu-da ar deep er comparison hoy na because the type of work they do is different. niluda is far more relaxed, and doesnt have huge weight onhis shoulders. on the other hand, deep da has to compensate alone for the lack of keyoards in fossils. the things he does live, u have to see them to believe them, and im not talking about stunts. but otherwise, i agree that lakkhichhara is ritenow better than fossils instrumentally. composition and lyrics wise, still babies.

13. LEFTY_GUITARIST

sanket jobe 5 string bass nie tolar dike lead gulo marte parbe sedin bujhbo.....

muse, ekbar eklaghar er seser dike bass er fillers gulo suno.....

ill ask debankan say somthin bout dis....

ar yes, mohin is mother of all

14. debankan

Sanket is a superb bassist, but he does not utilise himself. Chandra makes some great fillers. Sanket keeps himself very quiet. Also, I am very unhappy with the volume of Sanket's guitar. It is very low even in live shows compared to other bassists. Also, sanket plays plain two finger bass most of the times. He doesn't use slaps or pops like Chandra and neither does he create walking patterns like Safin Ahmed.

15. debankan

I don't know what is wrong with you. You think that you are contradicting me but you are actually agreeing with me. You yourself are saying that Mohin did not manage to make band music main stream. That is also what I have been saying. No doubt that Bangla band may not have happened without Mohin, but it is Chandrabindoo, bhoomi and Fossils who get the credit for making Bangla band mainstream. Mohin did not change the music scenario of Bengal, but Chandrabindoo, bhoomi and Fossils did.

16. LEFTY_GUITARIST

agree wid u...................onto to pokhr amar sona 1st band song is baranday roddur..................not mohin

17. debankan

Exactly my point. :cool: 80% of the bongs will say that it was the first band song they noticed.

18. ats

ats Oldie

well well well .. agree with a lot of the statements you guys made .. esp. strat .... .well the point I tried to make is that ..... this discussion started with the topic "biggest IMPACT on Bangla music scenario" ..... and I just think that Mohiner Ghoraguli started it all .... although they may not have been recognised at their time ..... that does not take away their credit.
    My definition of rock music encompasses all types of genres -- from elvis to bob dylan ... from pink floyd to steve vai .. and from pearl jam to type-o-negative .....

I would just advise everyone out here that ... instead of arguing on which is "rock" and which is "not rock" ..... just try to expand your horizons by listening and appreciating other types of music ...... try Beethoven/Bach or Mozart for that matter ..... and yes .. you do have the right of opinion regarding the same .. but do not extend your opinion on judging people on their tastes and their likes/dislikes ..... as I said .. rock is not just about music .. its a way of life ..... I personally have been influenced by rock music from the age of 5 .. when every other kid on the block was listening to ashiqui/maine pyar kiya ......... and I feel that classifying a diverse band like Mohiner Ghoraguli as "non rock" is an insult to them ..... think about the times .. think about the lyrics .. their significance in those times .... think of the technology available to these guys at those times ....... that they came up with such music is in itself astounding .....

btw .. lets not forget about Parash Pathar .. they rose at the same time as Bhoomi or Chandrabindoo .... they had all the ingreditents of what many of you call as "Rock" .. and yes they were hugely popular in their first and second albums ..... but I think that they took the stardom a little too much in their head .... I remember they showed up in our college fest wanting to perform ..... we, in fact of a very tight schedule managed to give them 2 hrs time ....... but at the crucial moment .. they were found passed out on "Bread and Iodex" ... that pretty much says about their commitment levels ... but would be unfair to judge their talent based on that.

Ultimately its all about good music ... be it distortion or not ..... although I know some ppl think its cool to like some obscure death metal band and dislike all others ... just because its macho to like the former and "girly" to like the latter .....

I donot feel the need to be bound by such stupid and immature prejudices....

thats all ....... thanks for all the feedback guys .... i learnt a lot from this site since I have been here ... .. which is a very long time ..... and yes .. I am still learning

Cheerss!!

Ats

PS: @Lefty ....... grow up kiddo !!!!!

19. Strat

Strat Floydian

@ats... right on. :beer:

Is it just me or suddenly it seems everyone is actually agreeing in the name of contradiction? I read the whole thread again and found there's not actually much contradiction, everyone's trying to say more-or-less the same thing, with one or two ideas of their own.

20. muse123

muse123 New Member

mohin were ahead of their time... chandrabindoo and gang got the success becase the acceptability of the people became more.... fossils had started around 98-99 and it wasn't untill 2003 that they got success... lokjon er taste bodlechhe bolei sheta shombhob hoyechhe...not taking anything away from them... all i'm sayng is that shomoyer shathe manusher taste bodlechhe...ar my friend lefty have u heard of the bass players flea,billy sheehan, they play 4 string bass and are 2 of the best bass players in the world... so ke kota sring bass bajalo actually tate kichhu jai ashe na.... grow up...i don't know how many of u went for the 17th show,but sanket played a mindblowing bass solo....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.