Minor Scale Progression

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by KShan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. KShan

KShan New Member

Hey to all guitar lovers..

from IGT i learned how to find a progression for Major scale using wwtwww and M,m,m,M,M,m,Dim techniques. However i don't know anything about the minor scales.

Can someone please suggest me how to find progression for a minor scale? Any technique????

Cheers..!!

2. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

look a very easy way,
    first,know about whole note and half notes,like the distance of two frets is called whole note distance and one fret is called half note distance.
    like the distance between 1st and 3rd fret is whole note distance, and 1st and 2nd fret is half note distance.

so a major scale goes like this.
    (the starting note is called the root note)

root-whole-whole-half-whole-whole--whole-half

like i start on the first fret of the thinnest E string
    it will be a f note. so the scale is a f major
    here are the frets.
    1-3-5-6-8-10-12-13
    and a minor scale
    root-whole-half-whole-whole-half-whole-whole.
    and whatever be the starting note or root note it becomes the note of the scale.

3. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

and something about how to find notes the notes of open strings are(open- when played without pressing any fret)
    from thickest to thinnest.
    E-A-D-G-B-E
    it can be remembered by
    Every Animated Day Goes By Easy

and now the notes
    A-B.C-D-E.F-G

NOTES SEPRATED BY . ARE AT A DISTANCE OF HALF NOTE FROM EACH OTHER
    and those seprated by - are at whole note distances.
    in other words if if sth fret of second string is a E note then 6th will be F
    and8th will be G.

do rep me if u find this helpful

4. KShan

KShan New Member

Thanx mate...it is quite a bit helpful...specially the "root whole half whole whole half whole whole" technique for minor scales..but i've 1 more confusion...

when i use the wwhwww technique with major scale i also use MmmMMmDim technique with it to get the progression.for eg..
    Fmajor scale would be
    F Gm Am A# C Dm Edim

Don't we have to use this MmmMMmDim technique along with whwwhw with the minor scale as well. To clarify please write one or two minor scale progressions.

Cheers..!!!

5. srakshit

srakshit New Member

Not really, that is a good way to remember the scale but a horrible way to improvise as you miss all the good stuff like open chords, drone tones and stacked chords like ninths and elevenths (which may not be as difficult as they sound).

To answer your question, if you build off the interval structures it would be Dim,M,m (M also works quite well), M, M, M. The key differences between this and the major scale are the introduction of the flattened seventh (F# for the Am key) which can be used to add colour to the scale, as well as the introduction of the sharp seventh (G#) - the so-called Harmonic minor and melodic minor.

Am C Dm G (Temple of the King, verse) to see how the minor 4th is used

Am D F G (Don't Cry, verse) to see how the major 4th is used

Bm F# A E G D Em F# (Hotel California, verse) how both are used.

6. srakshit

srakshit New Member

I think you need to figure out tones of the scale along the fingerboard, and use those. Don't worry about chord forms, you seem advanced enough to take on a little challenge.

7. zing

zing Machine Head

chk out this thread
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=19329
    hth

8. KShan

KShan New Member

Thanks SRakshit,.... its quite a bit of theory....but i'll try n figure out what all u've suggested...

Cheers...!!!