'midnight'-Joe Satriani & comfortably numb solo performance by me

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by rust_in_pain, May 3, 2008.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Hi,
    This is the video link to my performance at IIT kanpur.The 1st part is midnight by joe satriani and the second is the famous solo in the end of comfortably numb.
    Plz remark and let me know how u like it.

you tube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mWUYA8El9k

cheers

2. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

That's great ..!

3. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

good.
    but i felt u went out of sync with the rhythm while playing comf numb at a few places.

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Didn't like your phrasing in the Comfortably Numb solo. Almost every note rang out the same.

Midnight sounded pretty good.

5. rust_in_pain

@ansh:yeah i did...happens in a live situation,aint it?:eek::
    but i managed it well:rock:

@thehundredthone:man,m happy u didnt catch the big mistake at the end of 'midnight'......;)
    which phrasing r u talkking abt......if every note rings the same...it was much the same in the original solo

thanks for the comments!!!!keep them coming... it helps to improve

PS-tell me how was the whammy part???

6. anshphenomenon

7. thehundredthone

The whammy bit was decent but the bends after that were all sharp!

What I mean by phrasing is the length of individual notes. If you listen to the original solo, some notes are muted, some ring out, some are shorter, some longer. Phrasing is how you make each note sound different while still keeping time. It's how you put notes together to make a good solo that doesn't sound like the ring tone on an old nokia phone.

bjr likes this.
  8. rust_in_pain

@anshphenomenon:who's the guy in the video......i always wondered how to play the tremolo part and everyone seems to have his own version.......that guy is pre-bending the notes and the using the bar(which is not a locking one)

i use the bat for dive as well as pull up.......
    anyone has a better idea?

@thehundredthone:yeah i get it....couldnt comprehend when u just said 'phrasing'...but u r right...thanks

9. anshphenomenon

^^that guy plays the actual way.
    the way David Gilmour has played that tremolo part.

look at comfortably numb live in 1989 venice.
    u can actually see how David Gilmour plays it.

10. rust_in_pain

that guy dosent looks like an indian

11. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

you know the stupid thing...
    those guys whom wrote those songs made millions out of it and can pull it off in front of tens if not hundreds of thousands of people over and over again,
    and you sound bloody close...
    my hat is off to you my man,
    my all time fav solo,
    i saw this tour and its nuts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoTQ2IilAEA
    i dare you to aim for this at your next performance...
    rock on...
    by the way your camera man sucked,
    he/she only panned only once to the girls on the right...
    this camera guy didn't do much better but the sound is ok

12. thehundredthone

The whammy bit in the solo that features in the Delicate Sound of Thunder is amazing, have you heard that?

Not the one at 7:34, that's what you've done, but the one at 6:21. Simple but amazing.

13. rust_in_pain

@SqueakM9:thanks dude!!!

This performance was as IIT kanpur annual cultural fest....the camermen were all students so cant expect hi-fi recording....i also won the 1st prize for the same:cool:

@thehundredthone:i dont have a fast connection rite now...will listen to it later...

14. anshphenomenon

squeak's video?
    or the one i posted?

delicate sound of thunder is great solo work too.

i have about 11 live versions of pink floyd comfortably numb live videos from 1980-1994 era.

gilmour played once in atlanta in 1987, he was clearly trying to improvise a lot on the 2nd solo, the whammy bit in that wasnt as good as it was in pulse.
    he started playing whammy bit form that 87 our onwards,didint play it in the live performances before that.
    then it got better in the delicate sund of thunder in 1988 and was awesome by the time he got to pulse.

15. SqueakM9

SqueakM9 mumble

ok help me out here...
    culteral fest here (NZ) means turning up in your traditional dress, eating your native food and singing/ dancing and speaking your native songs and dances.
    when did they introduce pink floyd to india???
    im sure their not as old as the sari or vindaloo!!!

congrats on the 1st though man...
    you sound really good

16. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

First of all, i don't liked this kind of music at all but i have to say, you guys really did an excellent job, its just a pleasure watching you playing the guitar this way. I really enjoyed listening and watching this clip, my compliments guys!!!!!

17. thehundredthone

Neither. The timing is for the Delicate Sound of Thunder solo's whammy bit that I was referring to.

@SqueakM9: Cultural fest means that it involves events that are not related to technical subjects. There are tech fests and cult fests. Tech fests have academia related events, cult fests are where you sing dance etc.

18. rust_in_pain

@Keoraf:thanks a lot dude!!

@ansh:can u share those 11 videos with me...im frm noida

@SqueakM9:as thehundredthone said.......i think u r confused with the society cult programmes that are organized in the nieghbourhood.....none the less i would like to introduce floyd even there!!!

19. anshphenomenon

^^u wld get all of those up at youtube.

20. rust_in_pain

okay...thanks