Middle Pickup on Fender Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Sep 8, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Why is the Middle stock pup on my Fender start soo linear sounding. I mean as compared to the Neck and the bridge pup it lacks the punch and is very soft and mellow absolutely no use.

The switch is a 5 way but i often end up playing on 1st and the 5th position and not making use of the 2,3 and 4th positon. Coz 2nd and 4th position instead of makin the tone fatter it makes it slightly thinner in comparision to 1st and 5th.

I make use of those 2nd and 4th positon only to cancel the hum if i add some distortion since the middle pickup is reverse wound / reverse polarity which is mostly used for cancelling noise or hum

I was thinkin of changin the middle pickup and give some boost to the combination of the Neck <--> Middle and Bridge <--> Middle pup positions..instead of changing Neck and Bridge pickup both :p (will save some money if this is possible)

is it possible?

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you realize, on an LP design there is no middle pickup.

Thin tone and weak tone also has its uses.
    Do a multilayer recording, and you will immediately realize how it doesn't drown everything else down in its fat roar.

3. wylder

wylder Member

Middle pickup can be handy too... Though I am not much of a strat user, I can give you some possible uses.

For one, if you set up all three pick ups about equally, you can get a moderate tone between the quacky neck pick-up and the biting treble pick up. As alpha1 suggested, too much of neck warmth can drown you out in the mix while too much of bridge bite can kill the warmth of the tone.

You can also set up the pickup with the treble side closer to the strings and the bass side further from the strings to give a higher treble emphasis for your chords, and tightening up the bass notes when you strum. This can be especially useful for funk rhythms. Or you could get a very low output pickup in the middle to contrast it with high output neck and bridge, as in an HSH config.
    BTW, instead of using the middle pickup for noise cancellation only, you can upgrade to noiseless or active pickups and add more variety in your tones.

4. mymusicmyguitar

Yup...Kind of understand what you both are trying to explain...

I was checking the DiMarzio Dp116 HS2 and the HS3 (Noiseless passive p'ups). Dont want to go with theActive ones. Coz that will need a batter compartment or some place where my battery can sit inside the body and which is a pain in strats

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

There's a lot of space inside the guitar for keeping a battery.. so that should not be a problem at all...make any decision depending on the sound you want..

6. mymusicmyguitar

Yup true. I will change the p'ups only when i am sure that there will be a lot of improvement in the tone. Else i am not in a hurry to change p'ups soo soon. Will try and order it directly from my friends who are abroad...a lot cheaper...almost half the price as quoted by bajaao and Furtados..

7. nandac

nandac New Member

strat middle pickup

i think the entire solo in the slower (bluesy) version of hendrix's voodoo chile in electric ladyland is recroded with the middle pickup.

8. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

man i also use just 1st and 5th position for playing as i got a cheap standard strat
    but plays quite good

9. mymusicmyguitar

Post moved to another thread...