Microsoft sucks ?? Come here in ..

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by abhay_saxena, Jul 4, 2004.

1. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

if you give me your address i could send u the cd's .. . for suse 9.1 .. . and any computer shops or software shops hold linux cds . . u could get em from there. .. if you don't i 'll send you ..

2. satriani

satriani run in veins

abhay i can give u my address but bro i dont know anything abt linux and even i didn't find any thing abt linux useful here so i need u to help me chck ur PM

3. satriani

satriani run in veins

i'll try to find the cds tomorrow

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

As far as i've seen.. There is no substitute for 3D study Max, and Maya.. So i use Mac..

5. jayanth

Hey if you need Redhat, I'll send the cds.. To you.. Or PCQ linux(Modified RHL) But with amazing looks.. Beast andything XP..

6. satriani

satriani run in veins

dear jayanth and abhay i really dont know abt linux and i am dieing to use linux but i really dont know anything abt linux i told u that i tried once to install linux but i failed and today i went to the market but i didn't find anything useful there or i might dont know what to buy and what to not and now here i am looking for help from u ppls abhay told me some books name i'll try to find them tomorrow i wish i cud get that i hope so.

7. jayanth

My suggestion.. Buy a good Book.. Its a Red book available in in Indian and Pakistann its called Red Hat programming.. its had all info from installation ot programming.

8. satriani

satriani run in veins

thank u jay i'll try my level best to get that else i'll be coming to india if i get the visa :$

9. jayanth

Glad to help..

10. satriani

satriani run in veins

i got RedHat 9.0 i installed that, but the problems i faced are installing my modem(i have linux driver) and installing it on another partition, here i need ur help, i want to use DUAL OS.

11. abhay_saxena

you've installed redhat ? and uninstalled windoze ?? so what exactly is your computer holding right now . tell me your windoze partitions ..

12. satriani

satriani run in veins

hey abhay before installing linux i was using windows 98, i have 40 gb hdd with 4 partitions c is of 5 something gb and the rest three for the remaining space, when i was installing linux it asked me abt the partitions i selected to use the separate partition but it was not installing a msg accured something like \dev\hdd...not find something like that but after that i choosed let linux make partition automaticaly and then this deleted all my partition and made by its own one is of 98% of my hdd and one is of 1% (that what i got to know when i was repartitioning my hdd to install windows 98) and onemore partition with nothing in that, linux installed and worked but i failed to install modem and connect to internet, now i am using windows 98, i want to install linux again, but on different partition bcz i want to use windows 98 and linux, suggestions plz, my system config.

Motherboard : Asus (sound and VGA builtin, i didn't get any problem with my VGA and Sound on linux )
    Modem : Smartlink 56k
    Pentium 3 : 933 MHZ 256 MB Ram.

please tell me how can i install modem and any other software if i

bob-bobby likes this.
  13. abhay_saxena

first completely install windows on the whole hard disk.create a partition of 5Gb for installation of windows when it asks for the partitioning specifications. then after installing windows, go into the disk manager and you'll find abuut 33gb space unallocated. then you divide it into 2 parts one for windows and one for linux.leave the linux part unformatted and format the windoews part in FAT32 system.DO NOT FORMAT THE LINUX PART. leave it unformatted. the disk manager will show that part as healthy partition without any drive letter (C,D,E etc.).(It would be best if you installed windows XP,I'm not too sure about 98 though you can try)
    after that put in the linux cd. when it asks for the partitioning system, it will show you the proposed partitioning mechanism. in the proposed partitioning there will be a 256 or 512 Mb swap space.this is necessary for linux to function. the rest it will show as your space that you left in windows as REISER format or some other strange format(not FAT32 OR NTFS).if this is the proposed case then accept it or else go into custom partitioning. there you will forst have to create a partition of 256Mb(in case of 128 Mb RAM) or 512 mb (in case of 256 MB RAM). and then specify the cylinders for the partition that you left in windows. all should go well after this.i suppose. any problems post it again. regarding modem and rest i'll let you know after you install.

14. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

abhay , what the heck , what are you upto .....

15. Shan_in_dubai

Shan_in_dubai New Member

I am content with Microsoft operating system except the Security, which is extremely poor.

bob-bobby likes this.
  16. satriani

satriani run in veins

sorry abhay cant understand what u r really up 2

17. bob-bobby

i am using xp , quite happy with it and find it very cool .....

abhay surely can help you to make ur system more secured ....

18. satriani

satriani run in veins

bob i also used xp but i really found linux something really different and i love to use that its quite impresive dude u shud try that also

19. bob-bobby

even jay said the same thing , but most of the s/w's which we 've been using in our office works on windows , so dun have a choice ...

morever even our network's done on windows....

and many many other things .... xp is my latest update ....

20. abhay_saxena

well i got a bit technical there. .. sorry about that. .. but santriani. .. you will have to delete about 7-8gb space from your windows partitions for linux. i.e do not partition them.
    after this when you put in the linux cd and it asks for the partitioning, check if linux has selected that sixzed partionin for installinglinux in the proposed partitioning that it shows. if it has then accept it . or else you will have to do it manually, you will have to give a 256mb swap space ( the format type has to be specified as swap space ) and about 7-8 gb for linux ( maybe REISER format ). .. after this linux should install properly i suppose without disturbing windows.