Microphone Issue Help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by aryasridhar, Jan 19, 2012.

1. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Hey guys,

I have this cheap iBall M81 Dynamic microphone, which is pretty good for the price it paid for it, just 400 bucks.
    I am facing some issues now, not with the mic but with the laptop i guess.
    I had a Dell Latitude D620 and the mic used to work fine on it to record tracks etc without any issues. I cant use the same mic on my new laptop Dell Latitude E6420 for some reason..It just doesn't record, tried it with various recording softwares, tried out different settings under sound properties, Both the laptops have Win XP.

Some more info that may be useful
    E6420 has IDT Audio Drivers, everything else works fine, such as the speakers, sound, inbuilt mic records like a champ, but the iBall.

D620 had 2 separate sockets - 1 for headphones and 1 for Line in, I used to hook up the mic to the Line in.
    E6420 just has one port, which is for both the headphones and Line In at the same time (I guess the 3.5mm jack the mic has isn't making a good connection), or I may be wrong.

Any help is highly appreciated please !!!!!!!!!!!

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I have E6400 and didn't have any problems since there are TWO ports: one for speakers and one for microphone.

I can't believe that Dell ppl can be that stupid to make only one port for both speakers and mic.

This is not a microphone issue.
    Its the issue with your Laptop.

3. wylder

wylder Member

On the Windows Volume control panel, try using the microphone boost option.

Microphone signals are not line level so you may need to boost them to line level either by the said method or using a mic preamp.

4. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

5. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

The soundcard i have on my laptop is IDT Audio - The control panel for this audio device is pathetic, no options really on it to choose the Allow Reconfig.........Hope I can get the latest drivers for it.