Metal Tone

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Anchit7, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

Heyy guys....i have an AV3 and a Digitech RP90.....i tried making my own patches for riffs........but haven't been so successful....to play a riff which also includes playin some singular notes on the E and A string...i have to constantly palm mute my guitar...in order to avoid the distortion from becoming too noisy....so....help req.....any basics for a to a perfect tone......??

2. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

c'mon guys....flood...rickky...jimmy rage.....anybody....help d kid out man....

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Well i maynot be the right person to answer this as i suck at it as well.. :p:
    Anyways try reducing the gain, also try to google for some popular settings that you might like and alter them according to ur need. Thats wat i do. You can also try a noise gate pedal but people say it kills dynamics..

and wait for more knowledgeable people to reply.

4. flood

flood New Member

yeah. dump the RP90 and buy yourself a real amp.

seriously speaking, i have no idea. especially about what the "perfect" tone is. there's too many of them, like larry carlton, james hetfield, jeff beck and andy summers...

i've never owned a processor. i can't stand those things. what i do know is that you're probably not going to get the "perfect tone" from an RP90.

in general, your best friend is the user manual - dig inside and tweak your settings and experiment for yourself. tone is very subjective.

5. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

"yeah. dump the RP90 and buy yourself a real amp. "

yeah.....fat chance mate.....
    guess i'll have to keep on trying.....

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

reduce the gain. Also try turning down the gain/tone on the guitar.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You never said what tone you wish to emulate ...
    Metallica had a totally different tone from Jimmy Hendrix.
    Heck, Metallica's later albums had a different tone compared to their earlier albums.

There is no holy grail of perfect tone. Its all in your mind and ears.

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Who's Jimmy Rage?

9. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

Guys...i am not lookin for an artist or band patch.....i am just lookin for a patch with distortion....which can be used for riffs.....say...the intro of crazy train....which involves notes+chords........a patch that doesn't make my sound too distorted and all over the place...if you could just clear my basics about the treble,mid and bass settings...

@thehundredthone:check my posts....he has replied to quite a few of them....

10. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

If it sounds too distorted, maybe you should reduce the, oh I don't know, distortion? EQ isn't going to help much until you get your gain and distortion levels under control.

11. flood

flood New Member

um, yes. everybody has to. unless your name is jeff beck or brian may or larry carlton or saul hudson...

12. marooned

marooned New Member

you can also try searching for patch banks online.. as far as i remember, i'd found something for the digitech gnx1 and zoom 505II, that had predefined settings to achieve a desired sound.. as well as the kind of guitar used.. that may seem as a good starting point.. though a lot of the patches are crap, some are quite usable..

if that doesnt work, start by keeping all eq knobs at 12 o clock, and then increase or decrease only what you need.. i guess it would be difficult to generalize since every amp stimulation you would use would have a different tonal characteristic.. try this by using a high gain amp sim with gain midway up (whatever emulates a mesa sorta tone on your processor) also, a hard pick would help for the riffing part, and hitting the strings harder and tighter..

if you can upload a clip.. maybe it would help others to give you an idea of what you need to increase or decrease..

13. insatanity

insatanity New Member

14. theghost

theghost New Member

i have a Rp90 and your right the distortion does get muddy. Try this, use the distortion on patch no. 09 to create your own patch,set the noise gate to 99, set the EQ acc to own preference

15. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

Aaah...Guys..finally got it right....(kind of!)..i put up the following settings.....
    Gain: 7
    Treble: 7
    Mid: 4
    Bass: 8

Have got a patch that is satisfactory.....nothing great....but i do have to keep in mind what to expect from a low-end processor........!!

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well what will happen if you reduce the bass to 7 and increase the treble to 8?
    Probably reduce the mid to 3 also.

Does it make that much of a difference?