mayday!! my pc has conked off..boohoo!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by vini, Aug 27, 2005.

1. vini

vini Repeat Offender

damn...my poor pc..earlier it was down wid all sorta viruses and then one fine day it refused to start even..whenever i turn my pc on..then a dialogue box appears right at the time of welcome screen which says:

ur local profile is corrupted so now u'll be logged on to a temporary profile but no changes would be saved

whats this all about??/..however the pc is working fine in safe mode...whats wrong?? do i need to reinstall the OS again...will i lose all the 10gb of songs which i have collected wid my khoon pasina?...lol...are there any chances of losing the data which is stored in different drives

help help help :help: :help: :help:

tahda!!

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

It happened wit me also..
    it turned out to be a bootsector virus..
    u cannot loose ur data in other drives.
    go in to the BIOS mode and re-install ur OS again..
    it shd work.

3. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

You can reinstall your OS. All your data in different drives than those in which the OS is installed will not be erased. Also there is an option in windows XP to reinstall only windows, and all other files on the drive are left intact. So you can reinstall windows (if it is windows) and not worry about losing your data.

4. shak

shak Harrr!

i like the word conked off ... hahahah ..reminds me of a college story ... anyway .. do what abhay_saxena says ... i accept him to be ma gury on comps...
    sorry about this spam ..but cant help it :(

5. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

Bios mode wld give u the option to re-install ur OS.

6. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Lol..!!
    Its no VIRUS.. and NO need to FORMAT and reinstall XP!
    Its simple that your user profile file got damaged..so XP is giving an error msg!

For now, if you dont want to take any pains... just get inside safe mode... make a new user for yourself!
    Restart and login through that new user.
    Then browse to your rootdrive:\Documents and Settings\
    Here you would see, "Administrator" & "All Users" folders..
    Apart from this, you would have a folder with the old user profile which XP is reporting corrupted and the new user profile which you just created!

Get inside the old user profile folder and copy all the important contents you want!
    For example, My Documents, My Pictures, etc..
    Copy them to the folder root:\Documents and Settings\new userprofile\ respective folders... i.e. by default XP would create My Documents folder there, so u copy My Documents from olduser profile folder to the new one.. and so on!

Thats it!
    Later you can go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Select the Old Username and Click DELETE Account!
    Once that is done, you can select your new username and click 'Change Name' to rename it to your old user account (If u want to...and feel attached to your old username :p: ;) )

User profile corruption generally happens due to improper shutdown.. so see to it...that you shutdown your computer very well!

Enjoy! :)

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

7. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

Oh , I thought it was some error message before bootup itself. Did'nt know about such an error , heard it for the first time. Sorry for the incorrect soln., but yeah you can always format without losing yoru data on any drives.

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Hey noob_vin_mod ...
    just change your PC ... am sure it is old and cantakerous ... chuck it ... get a new slim laptop ...

9. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Woah! I would never dream of arguing with zoom, he is the god in software! (Well atleast for me). Formatting and reinstalling your OS will really speed up your pc, since your OS is clean and free of spyware and viruses and errors (the list can go on....).

10. vini

vini Repeat Offender

ahaan!

umm..ok.. iL see if i could work that out :think: m really not good at fixing computers :p:

@sslayer well..my pc is just few months old ...

thanc ev1 and thanx a ton Zoomy :)

tahda!!