May be it sound stupid

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rashrahul4u, Oct 10, 2006.

1. rashrahul4u

rashrahul4u New Member

Respected all senior IGTians
    I know the question I am about to ask may sound stupid but please tell how much a person who is learning Guitar since past 5 months should know about Guitaring (Obviously I am that person in the question) I am able to play a handful of songs, But I know I am not good at leading also I am able to figure out chords of the songs correctly. But I am practicing regularly I am practicing scales, various rhythm patterns. So please guide me am I on a right track and what more things can bring improvement.

Thanking in advance & Regards

Happy Guitaring

2. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

u r doing the rite part of u... but don sit idle in the same scales which u practise all the day... music is an ocean and can say more than tat.. there is no end.
    waatsover u practise.. u should be an expert in tat. if u learn..learn... then u'll be learning till the end.. try to use ur stuff in rite asspects... and tell me wat all the scales u learnt in the months passed... try to learn new progressions of chordz... and ur mind shud have creativity... tas very importnt... and in sscale part.. try to cobine scales to get new tunes.. for this u shud do ur writting part then n there.. this is wat i do.. and hope u agree....

3. jake_e_lee

jake_e_lee Banned

some people make rapid progress,some dont.
    the best u can do right now,is find a really good teacher..who wont rip u off hopefully and start from there.
    learning songs is a good thing..
    imo u should know basic theory:intervals,major-minorscales,chord construction,modes.
    figer dexterity will come over time..
    try and come up with diff patterns..and play slowly and correctly in the beginning..try and use the metronome and practice with it.
    if u dont know how..try and find a thread here which explains,or get the john petrucci rock discipline instructional where he has taught how to practice with the metronome pretty neatly.
    all the best.

4. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

try to learn strumming patterns and chord variations .
    will help u a lot

5. chatty_arko

chatty_arko New Member

hey time never matters its d way u grasp n practise n u r on a right track play more chords than tabbin coz tabbin can b easily if u take efforts

6. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

Been there...

Its good you know your chords n scales...so basically its practise and creativity/enthusiasm thats important.Try the different songs posted on IGT (choose your favs in the beginning) so that you'll get diff. chord progression...
    try spider exercises for your scale using a metronome and gradually increase the tempo..
    What I'm about to post now was previously posted by a fellow IGTian.I don't know who it was but his schedule helps me a lot...

1/2 hour warm up! playing songs i already know or have just learnt!

1/2 hour playing the scales and runs with alternate picking and building speed!

1/4 hour learning a new chord and playing ones i know and improvising with them!

1/4 hour on playing barre chords and improvising with them again!

1/2 hour learning a new song!

1/4 hour fingerpicking

1/4 hour on legato(hammer on,pull offs,slides)

1/2 hour learning a different new song!
    You don't have to exactly follow it,choose some of it acc. to your choice.

Oh and when you practise,go for accuracy rather than speed.

7. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

Each person progresses at different rates. If you spend 10 mins a day practicing versus 1 hr, you'll be further behind than you could have. There's plenty of good advice in this thread to follow :)

8. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Phew!!:annoyed:

And i thought my practice sessions were truly dedicated..hats of to u neo!!
    I m really inspired...will try ya kinda style from now on!!!:rock:

9. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

You can decrease the time and do the same in 1 hour.

My warm up is only of 10 minutes. But, I practice other exercises like stretching more.

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think a scheduled practice like not_neo put down is the best way to improve. I've never followed one myself and perhaps that's the reason I'm not half as good as I should have been by now.

You're doing fine....there's always room for improvement though.

11. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

This ain't a stupid question and ur on the right track .. i dun believe in schedulin ma self i can play for only 15 min a day or i can go more then 20 hours playing and won't sleep .. all depends u keep doing your hard work.

12. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

SG1's right....scheduling is not that important just focus on and more importantly enjoy what you do to get better efficiency if you aren't into scheduling too...