marshall 15cd vs stranger ns30

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nilu_nirvana, Jul 14, 2006.

1. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

hi guys,
    this time query is related to amps...
    from what i have learnt the mg 15 cd is way better in overdrive/distortion than the stranger...but works out to be expensive..

but if i play all my stuff through a processor,how does the stranger fare?i mean i'll be basically using the processor for the distortion and other effects.

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Stranger NS 30 is an OK amplifier..... I have played the NS 30.... the Distortion is SUPER CRAP.... A good friend of mine got so frustrated with the distortion switch he got it disabled.. totaly.. But other then the distortion it is an OK amplifier.... I have not played the MG15 Cd but I do hear good things.

3. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx jocelyn...ok, the in-built distortion is crap....but what if i play through a pedal?i mean i'll be routing a pedal/processor btween the guitar and the amp...how will that sound...i wont be using the in-built distortion at all

but then if the junta votes otherwise, i'll go for the mg 15 cd , pedal or no pedal..

4. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

ive got a mg15cd and its really good.....the overdrive is ok for playing power chords and stuff.....but not really gr8 wid solos

5. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx;...that means i still have to use a pedal, right?
    anyway, how loud is it?loud enough to be used as a monitor?...and does the sound crack once you play full blast?..or mebbe around 80%?

6. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^ ihavnt tried playing it on full blast....sice i mostly play at home and due to my family being more pop music lovers than heavy metal i nvr play it loud.....the distortion for rythm is quite good......i can record some pieces and load them up here for u

7. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx...that will be quite useful....btw, do you use any pedal in conjunction..or do you rely only on the amp for the distortion?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Nilu: Stranger and Marshall have very different voicing.

Marshall's voicing is like a typical "good" guitar amplifiers. What that means is that its internal EQ compensates for huge amount of middle frequencies generated by the electromagnetic pickups.

Infact if you ever plug you guitar directly to a hi-fi audio sytem or computer and compare that to how it will sounds on Marshall, you will notice that it sounds muddy and too fat on teh hi-fi system (in other words bad).

So in effect teh internal circuits in "good" guitar amps are made to reduce the middle frequencies and boost the high frequencies.

Stranger does this in a different way than Marshall.
    Hence, the sound is very different.

Personally I find Stranger's voicing crap.

Check both amps (if possible), by running both clean, and all EQ controls at max (at 10/10 or whatever). Then decide whcih sound appeals to you.

Even if you are using a stomp box or processor, the amp has the capability of making it sounds really beautiful or utter crap.

If you have a direct-in box, then its a different matter. But I dont think such things are available in India.

9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

I own a Strager NS30. Its a decent Amp for beginners but as Alpha said its nothing compared to a Marshall . I've tried out the Marshall , its clean channel is kickass ! If your using effects then its a necessity that you have a decent clean channel . The marshall's overdrive will be pretty useful for powering up you pedals whereas the Stranger will just make it worse.
    The Stranger ns30 just overpowers the marshall if your looking for a Louder Amp . But I dont think that it'll make a big difference , coz even if you are using it as Monitor you'll still have other Speaker's/Amps to connect it throught Line-Out.

Try out the a Fender 15watt too , i personally find Fender's Clean channel better than a Marshall`

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah the Fenders are really known for their clean tones.
    Even the tube ones.

11. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx a heap guys...that info was very helpful...unfortunately, i havent tried the marshall mg 15cd as yet...but i did try a higher spec marshall..and a fender 20w amp...the overdrive was really warm and nice in the marshall..and the fender was really really beautiful in clean..different guitars though...a washburn on the marshall and a tele on the fender..

i was keen on the marshall too..but what i had thought was-i'll be using a pedal/processor...so whats the use of the in-built overdrive....

anyway, from what it looks like...i guess the mg 15 cd is a better investment..

12. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

ya, the fender amps have a really superb clean tones..had tried it out with a telecaster at Onstage, New Delhi...

many thanx for ur feedback guys

13. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I own mg15cd. It was got a decent clean and raw rock crunchy distortion (both without pedal). With pedal the distortion gives you better sound to play metal. I got JEM 555 with DiMarzios Evo pups with GNX1 pedal so i really dont complain. The final output is always brighter.

Mg15cd is definitely good for an average guitarist.

I have heard lot of negative feedbacks for stranger amps. Sustain is terrible.

Also try for ronald cube amps. the mini portable ronald micro cube is pretty nice one i have heard.

check out this link: https://www.bajaao.com/amplifiers-c-4.html?page=2

15. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

hey jocelyn...thanx for the link...that was very informative..btw, i posted the pics of my new aria xl dlx in a nw thread..welcome to take a look!!!!!

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

You play a JEM through a GNX1 and an Mg15 ????!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

17. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Yeah. Is there something wrong with that? Sorry, I dont have very good gear apart from JEM.