Mark Knopfler Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by rabi_sultan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

the title just says enough.

but if anyone has any doubts then i seriously recommend you listen to Sultans of Swing from the Alchemy album, not the original but the 10minute version from the Alchemy album.

The guy plain kicks ass ! :rock:

2. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Listen to the 13 minute version.. Its ooooooooooooooohhhhhh..

All i can say is :nw: :nw:

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

i agree with rabi and jay , he surely rocks ....... :rockon:

4. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well, talking about Dire Straits songs... I would rate Lady Writer on par wth the original Sultans, but the extended one is amazing. Mark's solo stuff were pretty good too.

just a reminder... this thread belongs elsewhere..

5. jayanth

Same here. I put Lady writer at the same level. How many of you can play like him with your hands??

6. rabi_sultan

after i saw him and Jeff Beck play plus heard some Chet Atkins stuff I love the finger style so i'm playing more finger style now then pick style.

but then im not a very good guitarist so all sounds the same in the end haha

7. jayanth

Great musicians is all i can say..

8. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

I never tried lady writer, but I can play Sultans original.

@ rabi, chet atkins is good... have you heard his version of William masin's Classical gas? Im currently playing that for college... very easy and very nice sounding song.

9. jayanth

I like Steve Hackets version of Clasical Gas.. Its amazing.

10. rabi_sultan

i haven't heard that song. i'll see if i can get a copy of it to listen to.

i really also love listening to Brothers In Arms.

11. jayanth

BIA is an amazing albuma nd song.. Check out the Guitar Wars DVd. Steve Hacket plays the Clasical Gas there..

12. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

MArk is my demi god...personally his solos are plain awesome...forget all the shredding that so many do...the clean notes sound so so sweeeeeeeeetttttttttttt and the melodies are wonderful...i have never seen a finger picking style better than this...nothin to beat the concluding solo of Sultans of Swing...to me my favourite guitarist of all time, the great one and only Mark Knopfler...

13. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the sultans of swing thirteen minute version ROCKS. saw the video and was clean bowled.

14. jayanth

WOw.. Never got to watch the video.. Thanks to MTV and its ultra useless Music Videos..

15. one hell of a finger picker..yeah and i also heard that he writes all of the bands music from guitars to drums to bass...EVERYTHING !!
    pretty cool...private investigations,sultans of swing,romeo and juliet and brothers in arms are my favourites.

16. jayanth

Lady Writer is a good piece..

17. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

there arn't words.....

18. rabi_sultan

anyone heard What Is It from his Sailing to Philadelphia album, kickass song

19. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

its "what IT IS" not what is it... very nice song.. kept oscillating between 2 time zones.. then and now... very good guitaring too..........

20. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i think Mark Knopfler is really an underrated guitarist
    i think he should be up there with the best