Male circumcision protects women from AIDS

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Aka Oz, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Aka Oz

Aka Oz /\K/\ - Ozy

welllll this news was dere in a new paper (Khaleei times)

DENVER - Male circumcision, which has been shown to protect men from infection with the AIDS virus, appears to protect women, too, US and Ugandan researchers reported on Wednesday.

Circumcising men reduced infections in their female partners by 30 percent, the researchers found. One said the difference may be related to the structure of the foreskin, which is removed in circumcision.

In the study of more than 300 Ugandan couples in which the man infected the woman, the researchers found that 299 women caught HIV from uncircumcised partners and only 44 were infected by circumcised men.

Circumcision also reduced the risk of infection with other ***ually-transmitted diseases such as trichomonas and bacterial vaginosis, but not syphilis, gonorrhea or chlamydia, the researchers told an AIDS meeting in Denver.

Dr. Thomas Quinn of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore has been leading a team that studies 12,000 volunteers in Rakai, Uganda. They have been studying transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS.

Last year they reported that circumcised men were less likely to become infected with HIV. Now, they told the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, it appears that among infected men, circumcision reduces the likelihood they will transmit the virus through ***.

They also presented more evidence that circumcision protects men. They reanalyzed previous studies and found that circumcision reduced the risk of HIV infection in men by 50 percent -- and by 70 percent in the highest-risk men.

The findings will have to be confirmed in other groups before being used as the basis for recommendations, Quinn said. However, he said, “early indications are dramatic.” If borne out, for every 15 to 60 circumcisions, one case of HIV infection could be prevented, he said.

Circumcision’s benefits may stem from the structure of the foreskin of the penis. Its inner lining, or mucosa, carries cells that are vulnerable to the AIDS virus.

“Also that mucosal layer does not have the thick keratin (skin) that the outside skin of the foreskin has,” Oliver Laeyendecker, who worked on the study, said in an interview.

“Not only do you have more virus there because of the types of cells that are there, but the barrier is easier to go through from the man to the woman on that skin surface because it doesn’t have to go through a lot.”

The AIDS virus is transmitted by semen, blood and breast milk and via ***, shared needles or other contacts with infected blood.

Semen can transmit the virus, but levels in the semen drop over time, while remaining elevated in the blood, Laeyendecker said.

The theory is that the virus can pass in tiny amounts of blood in the foreskin. “Because of the nature of that membrane, because it is thin, because it is susceptible to micro-tears, you have a lot of openings,” Laeyendecker said.

“Plus you have more cells with virus there, so it lends itself to being a more transmissible surface.”

The AIDS virus infects close to 40 million people globally, most of them in Africa. It kills 3 million people a year and infects 5 million new people every year.

It is eventually fatal and there is no cure or vaccine, although drug cocktails can keep patients healthy for years. Laeyendecker said the Uganda volunteers have access to at least some of the drugs through a US program.

nimisha and alpha1 like this.
  2. Aka Oz

Aka Oz /\K/\ - Ozy

waiting for replys

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For a moment I read it as

4. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Cool finding man! Reps ur way...

5. shak

shak Harrr!

yay cut your johnson to save the women ...!!!

why dont they stick a cork to save themselves .... !!!

point??!

6. nimisha

nimisha .:Forum Leader:.

@aka-oz.... thats an intersting fact.. reps to u for sharing it!

@shak.... thats a pure insult of womenhood as well as medicine..

7. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

this gets the most-gruesome-thread award hands down !!!

8. shak

shak Harrr!

@nimisha: ah me and my campy humour ... hmm sorry if you got offended

9. nimisha

nimisha .:Forum Leader:.

^^^^ thanks shak.... u declared it..that....it was just a humour....
    i was thinking of reporting this post to the women's federation of the universe ... n medicine assebly of the world...

jamhead likes this.
  10. shak

shak Harrr!

^^ hahah ... yeah .. at get me on a probation .. umm naa man .. couldnt you see it was in good humour?? anyway ... burry it now ..

11. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

@shak: tsk tsk tsk :NoTalk:
    lol..NOW look wht you did...!!!!

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ahh..so who is going to be altruistic and come under the scapel first???
    <sharpens knife>

13. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

can we volunteer someone...???? :eek::

14. shak

shak Harrr!

^ not me .. i've been under the knife already ...

seeee ... i told ya!!!!!!!!

15. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

@shak: my my arent we gettin touchy!!
    wht makes you so sure i was gnna volunteer you!!! :grin:

16. shak

shak Harrr!

cuz yer evil!!

no actually .. i wass posting anyway .. so thought i would mention this as well .... *shrug* i aint gettin touchy!! what amkes ya feel that you &^(#$!@$% you $Q%&Q$%& YOU #!$^!#$^ ;)

17. Aka Oz

Aka Oz /\K/\ - Ozy

welllllll thx ppl...well this was reported on a new paper.......welll thx for reps

18. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

heheeh..*devil smirk*

@akky: say what???

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Petunia, I get a feeling that you are a veteran?

20. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

ewww

Why not try on self?