making a cheap 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by availablegod, Aug 7, 2012.

1. availablegod

availablegod New Member

and btw...anyone over here ever used the weeping demon junior wah ? i would like to know your views on that..because the store i visited didn't have the dunlop GCB95Q (which was my choice initially)...can anyone help me on this one ?

2. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

He is the owner and maker of BE3 amps, a line of tube amps, the only Indian brand selling them if I'm not wrong..

3. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

@rickkkyrich, looking at the fact that the amps and cabs are made in India and everything, don't you think they are a bit overpriced?

I mean, the BE3 Brat has just 8W RMS with 2 pre and 2 power valves and a 10'' speaker and that itself costs 18k....

And if you look at the prices a year earlier, some good laney, vox and orange 1x12 cabs used to come for 10-12ks....

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I have an Egnater Rebel 20 amp head. I had customized the cab to match the extension cab that egnater sells which was oversized.

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

That's how it is man... Can't help it !

7. availablegod

availablegod New Member

whoa dude !! that one's a killer !

8. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

I made a cab myself for 9k ;) LOL

9. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

One Person running the show and making amps will certainly cost more than from companies that mass produce, I mean tons of effort goes into building one, sourcing parts etc etc....But then you get what you want, Custom Made :) Maybe when he gets too many orders, he would be able to make it a little cheaper, as the parts cost less when ordered in large volumes......I do not get paid by ansar to say this....but that's how it works...

10. availablegod

availablegod New Member

@aryasridhar : dude i have sent you a visitors message

11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

But you wouldn't sell it for 9k .. will you?

12. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

I didn't make it to sell re, It was just for my personal use......and moreover its a pain, to procure good quality ply etc........But can be done though....I would keep some Vitamin M for the hard work that it requires and probably sell it for about 11k or so......If at all I make, which I am sure i won't in the near future....aage ka pata nahi ;)

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

11k is exactly what ansar charges...

14. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

I was kidding man......chill maadi :)

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

But i ain't no kidding... Plus Celestions are more expensive than the Eminence speakers...

16. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Celestions may be expensive than Eminence, but Eminence is much better in quality than Celestion, especially if you compare the V30 with a Governor......search the details online, or lets do a shootout of our cabs one day and hear it out :D What say? moreover i want to badly try out your PRS too :D

17. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Cost factor is what i am talking bout here... And yes you can compare the cabs anytime...

18. henrynh

henrynh New Member

Now you are not playing fair. You know very well that the 2db increase in the governor's sensitivity rating is enough for it to be perceived louder than the v30 at any volume on the amp, not to mention the added low end response that is gained by it. Then there is the obvious variables in the specs & materials of origin between the two that are enough to make them sound different from each other. The governor also does not exhibit the upper midrange spike that the v30 does which makes the v30 sound harsh & ice picky when installed brand new. Apart from those the cabinet specs matter as well. And the governor isn't problem free as well, ever heard of cone-cry problems in these?
    In other words the comparison will be a fail, with the end result ending up being subjective.

To my ears I prefer the sounds of both, in other words I have no brand loyalty. I switch the moment someone else offers something similar at a lower price with equal build quality. Unless you take a hammer, knife, screw driver or a gun and start to willingly damage the speaker construction on the above two brands then either of them will hold their grounds just fine. It's never been about who uses it or has used it on records, it's about acquiring road worthy materials that sound good from one's own home country. That's the reason why most marshalls, laneys, oranges, voxs, hiwatts, engls etc amp companies used & still are using celestions because they are cheaper for them to get rather than to import another brand from a different continent on a larger scale.

I can produce enough threads on the internet where people prefer another brand to these two but that does not make those better quality in sound or build. If you had a brand new v30 fail on you in your cab then I'd find the dislike of the brand on a whole on your part to be fair but otherwise if it's from info on TGP or something alike then there are enough shills on the more prominent forums that like to ruin the reputation of one brand especially when there is a close competition between the two. Celestion hate online is not due to their construction or sound quality, it's due to their prices being high in US even after being built in china. If the situation was reversed you would be seeing the same opinions reversed a lot as well.

TL:DR They both suck, mine are superior :p: hehehe (<that's supposed to be a joke)

19. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

First off - I have nothing against celestion nor do i have anything for Eminence. I did NOT post any of the information by reading off info from another site (TGP etc as you mentioned) and posted here.....It is purely from my personal experience that i pointed out how i like Eminence and a Celestion V30 (A friend's cab has it), I had already done a shootout of this, with my friend, To each their own, so he liked his V30, I liked the V30 too, but i felt it was not as smooth as the Eminence was. Which again is personal preference..

and Yes, I would still say Celestion sells their Made in China Products wayy to higher, Its not about Made in China/Made in USA etc. But I had to look for something that gave me value for my money, and I am happy i bought Eminence, But in the future if at all, i may as well get a V30, But for now, I am really satisfied with what the Governor does for my needs, I play blues, Rock etc and it does well in terms of getting me the tone I am looking for.

I agree on "cab size etc does matter", However there is a lot more to it...

20. henrynh

henrynh New Member

Exactly, tone preferences are subjective. I still believe the MIC celestions are as good as their UK counterparts in build quality because they continue to deliver on the reliability forefront in what I've come across. You should have compared the v30 by using it in your cab, that would have been a proper comparison in general. But like you said there is a lot more to it. However the price/pleasure ratio is the deciding factor in most of our lives, so we choose accordingly, me especially.