Make effective guitar practising in a little time ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by anand eldiablo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. anand eldiablo

anand eldiablo New Member

hey people!!!
    I'm very much disappointed with myself. I was practising acoustic guitar for about 6 months and then abruptly I had to stop that due to some constraints and now after an year when I start that again, I notice that I'm not like 'my past' at music. Please, could anyone suggest me how to make effective practising in a little time that I have in a day and see myself improving (a couple of hours a day is what I have). Pls....

2. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey dude hmm. can understand how it can be. dont get disappointed. its natural. but got to tell u this 2 Hrs a day is just enough to get back most of what ever u have lost in that time. Do practice and be patient - will serve the purpose. take time in learing what ever u have started learning. it is going to be a drag but thats what will get u to become a good player. hmm if u do then u will need, say a couple of months since u are still in ur basics i presume.

3. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Dude ur Lucky .. now start all over again and go from the vary basics and see if u missed something new or maybe u can develop alot of other things which u didn't before .. and for the rest i guess SHORTY said it all.
    RoCKaZ!

4. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

^
    Start again from the basics? LOL

I suggest u shud just practice the basic exercises once or twice and get back to learning at what u stopped.

5. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Arlond .. poof!!!!
    keep spaming.

6. Morbid_Angel

Now What i posted was spam?

Then I really am the best spammer at IGT.

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Make a plan for what you want to be in say 6 months and then split it up into smaller milestone and then work accordingly.

As an example....Say in 6 months, you plan is to finish all Major / Minor / 7th Chords. Know Major, Minor scale. Basic Chord Progressions over a Major, Minor Scale. 3 Keys and maybe 2 or 3 songs.

You have roughly 25 to 26 weeks in 6 months. So plan it up as

Week1: All Major Minor Chords
    Week2: Scale practise in 2 positions in a single key.
    Week3: Scale Practise in 2 more positions in the same key and also chord progressions.
    Week4: Scale Practise over the entire Fretboard and also improvise over the chord progressions.
    Week5: Revise all of them. Try another key.
    etc......

Also split your time for every practise session...

Say you are sitting for a two hour practise session...
    Split it as

20 Mins Warm Up: 10 Mins - Left Hand, 10 Mins for Right Hand
    30 Mins: Scale Practise over Fretboard. Also learn small licks in that scale.
    20 Mins: Chord Practise with quick chord changes.
    30 Mins: Technique Study....Like Picking exercises, Legato exercises.
    20 Mins: Theory / Fretboard study like knowing every note in the fretboard.

This is just a sample. Try your own...

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  8. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

There is also such a thing as practicing TOO much. Take everything in bursts. General rule of thumb, if it hurts, stop! Take a break and then pick it up again.

9. ronnieanand

There's nothing like practising TOO Much. If you practise 8 hours a day for 2 years, nothing will go wrong except your job or your academics. Your guitar playing will still rock...It depends on your priority of doing things...

10. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

bad advice period

11. Sheerig

Sheerig New Member

^
    wat ronni is correct SG1.... wen u keep on practising..ur guitar rocks like anything.. but other things rock u like u rock ur guitar,...$$$$$$$$

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

There is no such thing as TOO MUCH PRACTICING.....Practice as hard as u can.....There are technic to keep ur fingers safe even if u practice for hours...So....

13. ronnieanand

It's not. Read it properly. If Guitar is your first priority more than anything else, then you should practise for 14 hours a day and not worry about anything else. If something else, use your head appropriately to figure out how to practise. Your amount of practise will result in the amount of expertise you gain too. How much expertise you want to gain depends on how important guitar is to you and what do you plan to do with it...

14. Intrinsic

Intrinsic New Member

If you whack off 8 hrs a day, you're gonna do some harm...same goes for guitar playing. There is such a thing as TOO much. Our bodies are still fragile things. Stress it too much and you'll be doing a lot less rocking and more recovering.

To each their own

15. ronnieanand

Maybe you hurt yourself too much by whacking off 8 hours a day. The same thing needn't hold true for the other things by the way..All the pros in guitar you can think are playing at least for 10 hours a day. You would be better off too if you rather spend that 8 hours in playing guitar than whacking...Again each to their own...:beer:

16. rohit

rohit New Member

very good advice and very effective.
    i do the same thing except the chord practise.i do scales for long time.
    warm up absolutely necessary.use metronome.
    there is no such thing as too much practice.

17. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

I think I too relate with intrinsic.Too much is too bad..somewhere v need to draw the line...too much banging the guitar(ya banging is what i call for the begineers..even still i cant recognise teh tunes which i thought were music when i started out 3 years ago.):mad:

But ya practice shud be consistent..no matter how long you practice...keep learning

18. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

there is only one other thing apart from what other people have said. Keep short and long term projects. Like a short project like getting a rhythm right or memorizing a scale on fretboard. Long term projects like playing a solo totally or improvising on rhythm... People tend to play what they know or good at for most of time. Make sure u learn something new everyday. dont look for instant results measure ur progress on week or 15 day duration.

Good luck.

19. Morbid_Angel

Practice 24 hours a day if you're sure your fingers won't break.

20. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^Good idea...Devison shud have done that :grin: