Major and Minor chords all over the Fretboard

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by ronnieanand, May 5, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    This is pretty simple but useful. Most guys might already know it. This is about how to form all Major and Minor Chords anywhere on the neck. Hopefully it helps. Rate the thread if you feel it deserves it. And finally feedbacks please. So that I will know if I can post similar lessons.
    I am splitting the whole thing into three parts and it's gonna be slightly length, so please excuse me.

Step One: Know Thy Interval
    -------------------------------------

Interval is the tonal difference between any two notes.

0. Root or Unison
    1. Minor Second
    2. Major Second
    3. Minor Third
    4. Major Third
    5. Perfect Fourth
    6. Augmented Fourth
    7. Perfect Fifth
    8. Minor Sixth
    9. Major Sixth
    10. Minor Seventh
    11. Major Seventh
    12. Octave. Same notes as the root but one octave or 12 frets above in pitch.

The order of the above interval is important and the distance between two consecutive interval from the above list is one semi tone or one fret distance.

Step Two: Boring Theory but I dont see them on my Fretboard
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For ease of illustration and also ease of understanding, I will start from the 6th String or the low E string or the Bassiest String or whatever you name you call that.
    Consider the root as an open note or any fretted note on the low E string. The perfect fourth of this note is the same open or fretted note right below it on the 5th string. If you consider the 3rd fret on 6th string, which is G, then the perfect fourth of G is the 3rd fret on the 5th string which is C. Then the perfect fourth for the 3rd fret on 5th string ie C lies in the 3rd fret of the 4th string which is F. Then for F on the third fret 4th string, the perfect fourth is the A# which is the 3rd fret on the 3rd string. It doesn't work the same way for 3rd to 2nd string. Damn the tuning..... Dont ask me why it was done that way.... The same funda works for strings 2nd and 1st. Try it out

Step Three: I knew all these, where are those damn chords...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Chord = Root + Major Third + Perfect Fifth = R + M3 + P5

Minor Chord = Root + Minor Third + Perfect Fifth = R + m3 + P5

Let consider moveable shapes for these chords, which means you can hold a C Major Chord and this slide by a Major Second interval or one step or two frets to form a D Major Chord. The chord names will be the dictated by the Root Note you are fretting. So if the Root is G, then the chord would be G Major or Minor depending on the Major or Minor chord you fretted.

D --+-P5+----+-----+----+--
    A --+----+-m3+-M3+----+--
    E --+----+-----+-----+-R-+--

Consider the above figure as a shape formula. R = Root, M3 = Major Third, m3 = Minor Third and P5 = Perfect Fifth.

So you can form all the Major and Minor Chords on these 6th, 5th and 4th strings all over the neck. The name of the chord is dictated by the name of note on the low E string.
    The same shape works for 5th, 4th and 3rd string too. In this case, the chord names are dictated by the notes on the 5th string. Unfortunately the same formula doesn't hold good for 4th, 3rd and 2nd string. Damn the B String. I liked G string anyday, at least the one who wore the G String ;)
    Lets look at a second moveable chord shape for the 4th, 3rd and 2nd string.

B --+---+-P5-+----+----+--
    G --+---+-m3+-M3+----+--
    D --+---+-----+-----+-R-+--

Slight change and voila, you have it. Same boring explanation as above, so wont repeat it.

Damn the B String again, I need one more chord shape for 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

E --+---+-P5+-----+-----+--
    B --+---+----+-m3+-M3-+--
    G --+---+----+----+--R--+--

There you go...Now you can form all the Major and Minor chords across the Fretboard. These kind of chords were used a lot in the golden age of Blues. It's still being used but not very prominent. Nevertheless, they are still chords and are still legal. The guitar police wont knock your door for this..

2. somendra_guitar

somendra_guitar New Member

reps 4 u man...........
    gud work!!

3. sucharu

sucharu New Member

Hi! Ronnieanand. Thx 4 providing the chord n the whole fundaz. But as im new member n also a Beiginner, so plz tell me how 2 go ab 4 playing my guitar perfectly, could u plz send me the lessons that i can practise. I hav the knowledge of Music n i can play Sargam n Songs(any song i can play like i play on my casio) but without the chords. So plzzzzz help me!!!

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi Sucharu,
    Are you from Bangalore. I can help you easily if you are from here. If you have some specific doubts put it on here, so that people here can help you out. Replying for how to play perfectly is gonna a tough thing. Please let me know if you get answers for this.

PM me and send me your mail id. I will send you some lessons over mail.