Madai Thiranthu - NizhalgaL- Ilayaraja-Chords

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by bioswami, May 6, 2006.

1. bioswami

bioswami New Member

Dear All,

Greetings from a newbie to this group. It is great to see an Indian tablature
    site take off in such a big way. I have quite a few Tamizh and Hindi guitar ta
    bs which I hope to share with you in future. I have seen a number of very nice
    posts here from people like Ananth and Jayswami and I hope I can both contrib
    ute and learn from this group.

I thought that I would start off by posting the chords to the song "Madai Thi
    ranthu" from Nizhalgal..

I play the song in the A#maj Scale. I don't know if this is the original one s
    ince I worked out the chords for this a few years ago, but it still works. If
    this is not the original scale, you can always move it around.

Ok.. the A#maj scale consists of the following notes:

A# C D D# F G A

The corresponding chords are:

A#, Cm, Dm, D#, F, Gm and Am-dim

(I apologize for being a little pedantic here but I have found that it usually helps to understand the scale first before going on to the chords).

The other thing to note is that you could call this the A#maj Scale or the Gmin Scale. The Gmin is the relative minor of the A#maj scale. (On the fretboard, you can identify this by going down three semitones (half notes) to find the relative minor of a major scale). The notes and chords remain the same except that you would start from G instead of A#. On second thoughts, seeing how the song shapes up, I would rather call this the Gmin Scale.

Anyway, let me give the chords first before a brief discussion:

Code:
    Dm          Gm    A#                      Dm
    Madai thiRanthu, Thaavum nathi alai naan,

Dm          Gm      A#                    Dm
    Manam thiRanthu, koovim thiru kuyil naan,

Dm          Cm                         Gm
    Isai Kalaingan, yen aasaigaL aayiram

Gm                          A# Dm Cm F
    Ninaiththathu PaLiththathu

Intro - 1
    ---------

Stanza - 1
    ==========

Code:
    Dm                  A#             Gm             A#
    Kaalam KaNinthathu, kathavugaL thiRanthathu

Dm                  A#             Gm           A#
    Nyaanam ViLainthathu, nal Isai piRanthathu

Cm             Cm           Cm                       A#
    Puthu raagam padaippathaale, Naanum iRaivanE,

A#          A#           A#                 Cm
    Isaikkena IsaigindRa rasigargaL raajjiyam,

Cm       Dm
    YenakkE thaan.

The second stanza is similar.

A few things to note:

In the Gmin Scale, the chords are so:

Gm Amaj-dim A# Cm Dm D# F

I IV V

where I, IV and V denote the tonic, subdominant and dominant of the scale.

1. The piece starts off with the V (Dm) and then resolves to the tonic (Gm) at the very beginning (Madai Thiranthu). I find this interesting because usually, people start off a song with the tonic and usually follow some chord progression, resoving it to the tonic again towards the end.

2. The chord progression in the first lines is I - III - V (nice.. different from the usual I-IV-V.

3. I like the resolution to tonic at the end of the (Ninaiththathu paLiththathu).. as Gm - A# - Dm - Cm - F which follows a I-III-V-IV-VII resolving to I at the next stanza.

4. The stanzas have the same basic I-III-V progression before getting to IV-V at the end (Cm - Dm) .. and letting it hang like that. Creates a certain tension that can ONLY be released by resolving to the I, which is done at the next "Madai Thiranthu" when the Gm is played. I have found that I usually love songs that do this uniformally.. (also songs where there are scale changes... but thats for another day).

5. In the second interlude, Raja subtly adds am F# into the mix. Now this is obviously outside the scale but nobody bothered to tell the Maestro that :) It creates a very nice effect.

Hope this helps and please feel free to critique/correct me where I have gone wrong.

P. S. The ends of the chords are a little misaligned.. hopefully someone can tell me how to rectify that :)

2. jozko

jozko Banned

3. bioswami

bioswami New Member

Thanks Jozko,

Shall surely try depending on constraints on time of course :)

Regards,

Bioswami

4. a1blues

a1blues New Member

hello to everyone...me myself a musician welcome this site

5. allen sebastian

allen sebastian reverbnation.com/nissi

thanks for tha chords dude!

6. b57

b57 New Member

Hii.. do u have tabs for the same ... if so , could u plz upload dem!
    thanks in advance!
    cheers..