Mac OSX users, what are your top apps?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by kon_fewst_hk, Apr 29, 2007.

1. kon_fewst_hk

kon_fewst_hk New Member

A lot of Mac users are always looking for cool new apps. I was just wondering what you guys would say are your top few apps.

here are mine:
    1. Quicksilver - Duh! quicksilver HAS to be number one for any mac user. It is the most useful app by anyones standards (mainly used as an applicatin launch bar, but i don't know how i'd live without the clipboard module plugin). The possibilities with this handy app are just endless.

2. Adium - Chat client. Have MSN, AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo messenger, and more chat clients running in one window.

3. Skype with video - works just fine with the built in iSight camera, allowing for video conferencing. There is an available hack to increase the resolution of the video. Tried video conferencing between Hong Kong and US, and i was quite satisfied by the quality.

4. Firefox optimized for intel macs - i find the regular version of firefox for mac takes an age to start up. This is pretty much firefox cept runs a looooot smoother. Optimized builds are available for different generations of macs.

2. shak

shak Harrr!

firefox/shiira, amplitube 2, onyx, adium, shoebox, igetter, cleanapp, toast 8, quicksilver, coversutra, ffmpegx, superduper, vlc and xslimmer ..

the most imp apps= firefox, quicksilver, vlc and onyx

3. kon_fewst_hk

kon_fewst_hk New Member

have you tried democracy media player?
    it's definitely no substitue for vlc, but it does provide access to some good tv shows, an is quite a nice robust player like vlc. It probably won't be as popular once Joost is officially released!

4. shak

shak Harrr!

i have tried democracy but its a cpu/memory hog ... and i can fetch youtube videos using my browser anyway ..

VLC is very important .. because there are some codecs that quicktime fails to pick .. (quicktime has *just* got support for xvid, before that it was all VLC for xvid on mac) .. plus VLC gives me option of fullscreen video that quicktime lacks (yes i can spend 15 quid and get pro license but why should i when there is VLC?)

as for joost, yep it is a major product and i am currently beta testing it .. its impressive but the channels are not . .i got bored pretty quickly ..

let me know if you need a joost invite . .i might have one for you ..