Lyrics First or Music

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by DrSaurabh, Oct 7, 2004.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i guess this wud be better answered by the guys who have bands out there.....so do u guys make music frist or lyrics....which is better.and which is easier.....coz when i am thinkin some emotion or whateer.it becomes difficult for me to portray that emotion exaclty the way i want thru just music based on lyrics..no one-der(;)) my first song has music but no lyrics......
    people comment

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

its different for everyone... i usually do the music first because then when i write i have a fixed rhythm to follow... others may prefer to write first to know wat feel they must get into the music...

3. tejas

tejas ..........

Hmm...for me its both. I normally, write lyrics only when im feeling something strong. So naturally, i dun have music ready then, so i just have a free write. Then i come back and add music to it. Otherwise, if im working on something during that time, i try to fit the lyrics to the music. So, both for me.

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Music and the Lyrics.. ANd the combination of both..

5. Venus

Venus New Member

For me, its always been lyrics as i find lyrics cum naturally, yet the music and rhythm take too much time....... i have more lyrics under my belt than i do music......

6. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

wotever comes first to me...
    some times wen music comes first, it usually remains music, unless it was a chrd progression..so i prefer to write lyrics first wen i'm in a mood to write a song n not another instrumental..

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

that is exaclty what happens to me....the music just remains a music ....which generally evokes a certain strong emotion.in me..but at times am not sure...so it leaves me confused as to what kinda lyrics i should be putting in.......its bloody confusing.....some times i start wth lyrics and end up with poetry..is there a difference ??.....

8. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

not exactly.. i prefer to keep it music only at those times, otherwise i like figuring out unusual/wierd sounding chrds n then the words sometimes just flow out of the mouth..

9. jayanth

Letme give you an example.. Listen To Lines In The Sand in Once In a Live Time.. I would like to hear the Music go on and on forever.. But when it comes to Patience or Dont Cry, I would not understand the lyrics but would like it to go opn and on.. BUT Ultimately songs like Holy Wars, SHould NEVER END.. cause it has amazing Lyrics and Music..

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hmm.......and the tune just comes out? am havin a hard time writing the solos and stuff.........and the chord progressin i ve chosen so far is something like this.....
    G Em D C Em G....how does that sound to u.......its a sad song...with a slow tempo

11. jayanth

Doc.. YOu sure you posted in the right thread??

12. nitinsw

nitinsw the unforgiven

usually music first :)