Luthier to set up a Gibson Les Paul studio gem?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nopassword, Nov 7, 2006.

1. nopassword

nopassword New Member

Hi folks,

Is there any reliable luthier in Bangalore or thereabouts who I can trust to set up a Gibson Les Paul Studio gem series guitar? It's about 10 years old. The fretwork is a bit of a mess, there are a few frets which are too high, some fret buzz, etc. The truss rod needs adjustment too.

Btw has anyone got a complete re-fret job done ?

Thanks.

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

bobby is the name.....guitar building is his game.....dont think theres anyone better than him for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles .....about the trusting thing....U CAN and if u dont you can sit with him while he does the work...from my experience i think he'd prefer if u were they to tell him what you want......
    call him
    tell him shreyas - slammer guitar dude referred him...he's setting up my slammer guitar as we speak ....:)

3. nopassword

nopassword New Member

Thanks Shreyas, for the info.
    Is he somewhere in / around Bangalore? I'm overseas at the moment, should be back in India in a couple of days, so will call him up as soon as I'm back.
    Btw do you have any idea what sort of fret wire he uses? Does he use standard 18% hard nickel/silver (it's actually nickel + brass, there's no silver in it)? Would it be better if I pick up some Warmoth / allparts fretwire supplies ?

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

You should speak to Erisa from Auroville (near Pondicherry). PM or e-mail me if you want more details.

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

no ive never got a fret job done...but im sure he'll give u quality stuff from abroad.....if ur overseas you might want to go to a near by store and pickup a box of Dunlop frets....hear they are better than any stock ones....

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Bobby replaced the neck on my guitar, the frets are good, I guess.
    I dunno what frets he used, but the work is well done

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

when i went there i saw a whole bin full of necks...BC richs....Ibanez....Epips all thrown away .....guess people prefer his necks...

8. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^^ BINFUL........isnt that like ummm....an Exaggeration ???

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

nope.....i saw at least 10 necks in there...asked him and he said its junk necks the peeps left behind....if u could....drop by in his house and see...im not a liar

10. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^When did I ever say that u were a liar ??? I just said u might be increasing the volume of what u actually meant to reciprocate on the board......albeit unknowingly.

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

lol...whatever man...thats why its better to actually See before talking....it'll do u good...next time i go there ill get a picture of the bin...if it makes you happy

12. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

exaggerate: To represent as greater than is actually the case

if he has a standard sized bin then methinks 10 necks should be enough to have a binful :p:

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Or it could be that the binfull of necks must be the collection of necks hes painfully replaced over 5-10 years or so......:)