Lp Vs Ep

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by BIG_EVIL, Dec 4, 2004.

?

E.P od L.P

Poll closed Dec 22, 2004.
  1. Linkin Park

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Entity Paradigm

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

vote (once) now......
    entity paradigm or linkin park??????????????
    vote closes on the 30th of decemeber so make sure u vote

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

how about none of them option??

3. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

Definetly, Linkin Park.....all the way.....

4. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

dharmatma what's bad abt linkin park!?

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I would like the "None" option too. In my opinion, nu-metal (Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Nutallica, Papa Roach, Sevendust, Disturbed, Godsmack, Lostprophets) is talentless garbage targeted towards angry little kids with no lives.

People are of course free to listen to whatever they like. That's just my opinion.

6. Sonali

dude maybe you haven't payed much attention to any of linkin park's songs......their lyrics are really beautiful and the way they sing is awesome, they're not like limp bizkit in anyway, shape, or form........linkin park doesn't try to dress like hip hop stars for one thing and they should not be compared to limp bizkit.....just pay attention to their lyrics and you'll change your mind.....

7. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

well, Sonali,,i don't think anything would change death_metal_fan's mind cause for him this kind of music is like pop music...he is more into metal, then rock...am i right DMF

8. Sonali

dude if you can't appriciate good honest lyrics then what can i say, go back to the 80's and you can enjoy all the drunken, big haired, craziness you want....

9. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

who are u taking to Sonali? hope not me :eek:: ,,,cause i like LP and all the other bands listed above.....

10. Sonali

not you man i was talkin to death metal......

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

@Sonali: Perhaps you appreciate lyrics more than music. It's quite the contrary for me. I tend to pay attention towards how complicated a song structure is and how talented the people behind the instruments are. I do not like bands singing about "I am so angry at the world. Everyone is against me and I want to die".

On the other hand please do not tell me that Linkin Park has beautiful lyrics. Lyrically nu-metal is simple. To illustrate I will compare a verse by Linkin Park to one by one of my favorite metalcore bands Killswitch Engage.

Linkin Park - In The End

I tried so hard
    And got so far
    But in the end
    It doesn't even matter
    I had to fall
    To lose it all
    But in the end
    It doesn't even matter

Killswitch Engage - Life To Lifeless

humanity cover me with the ashes of remembrance
    i will learn from this pain
    there is no darkness without light to teach us of ourselves
    life to lifeless to eternity, life to lifeless the cycle repeats
    death unfolds itself painfully to unmask how fragile we are
    death unfolds itself painfully, teacher of sanity
    the pain drags me down
    i'll rebuild me

See what I mean? Linkin Park's lyrics which you consider 'honest' and 'beautiful' are frankly just angry and nothing else. Killswitch's lyrics on the other hand are soul-moving poetry. I can give you several other examples but I don't think it is necessary.

It doesn't help that nu-metal music is even simpler than the lyrics are. The only thing even remotely talented about a FEW nu-metal bands are the bass lines. The guitar structure is nothing more than simple power chords repeated over and over again to simple rock beats. If you want an example of talented music listen to "Scavenger of human sorrow" by Death. The timing and precision of those musicians is frankly unearthly. The lyrics are also extremely philosophical.

A lot of people like nu-metal because frankly they don't know better. Blame Nirvana and MTV if you like but the fact of the matter is talented musicians get ignored and simplistic trendwhores get ridiculous amount of airplay. That is frankly the sad state of the music industry.

But of course as I said before my opinion is just that - AN OPINION. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings in case Linkin Park are your favorite band. I'm just stating facts, that's all.

Just my $0.02

12. Sonali

i was looking for the lyrics of the "in the end" remix but couldn't find it but anyway you posted some lines from there, it was only the chorus and i guess it wasn't very philosophical but it all depends on how you take it, linkin park is only writing abt experiences and the "life to lifeless" song is just a hazy vision of pain and i guess enlightment, how can you be enlightened if you can't relate to the lyrics? most ppl probably would be able to relate to these words don't you think?
    In The End:
    time is a valuable thing
    Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
    Watch it count down to the end of the day
    The clock ticks life away
    It’s so unreal
    Didn’t look out below
    Watch the time go right out the window
    Trying to hold on / but didn’t even know
    Wasted it all just to
    Watch you go
    .....if you say that there are no complexity in LP's lyrics then just read this:
    It’s going down:
    Composed sentences all together venomous
    The four elements of natural force
    Projected daily through the sound of the source
    Everybody on board with this blend
    The sword with the pen
    The mightiest is the weapons
    Swinging right from the chin
    The elevate of mental states
    Long gone with the wind
    To defend men for shoddy imitation pretends
    this is also not an "angry" song, as you say they only do "angry" songs.....the way they say the words are cool and the boys have very good voices...and have you heard "my december" how can you call that an angry song.......LP songs, i think, has enough philosophical lyrics but this is only an OPINION but there is enough facts here to help you reconsider. i don't really care about the complexity of the music so i'm not going to argue with you about that.

i agree that there are some groups that only sing crap....i can't even force myself to listen to limp bizkit and maroon five songs are pretty messed up to but there are good nu-metal songs....if you want to be angry at musicians then consider rappers....they are completely over rated but linking park does not deserve that type of criticism.

13. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

u go gurl!!!!

14. Sonali

:) ah thanks man.....but he didn't even respond to it :badmood:

15. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

i know...he probably will in a few

16. Sonali

dude, he's probably gonna wip my A** with more lyrics...lol

17. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

haha......u better watch out Sonali...those guyz who listens to hard/death metal are kinda freaks...no offense death_metal_fan...

18. Sonali

but i'd like to make it clear that i have no problems with the type of music death metal was talking abt.....i love most rock songs....so plz don't hurt me death metal

19. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

haha...scared already...it's just the begining.....

20. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u listen to one Linkin park song.. and u heard them all.
    plus their sound is heavily compressed.. and sonically maximized and henced tailored for radio mixes hence sonically from a sound engineer's point they are no different from pop acts like britney spears etc - and target todays ADD prone youngsters. U dont have the sonic bandwidth to improvize and express your thoughts musically like how SRV , Clapton, Hendrix etc etc did back in the golden years.. now thats rock.. LP and rock? .. nah..

J