Looking for an all-round electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jetru, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Bad example....That;s a Stacked Humbucker....It's a humbucker in every aspect except that they the coils are stacked over one another. Since the coils are stacked over one another and also with the requirement of cramming everything in a single coil space, the number of coil windings are usually less and also lacks the power and punch of a humbucker. Since they are humbucker, they lack the beauty of single coils too...

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^^^^ I stand corrected. I was actualy thinknig of the DUNCAN CLASSIC STACK PLUS...which DUNCAN does claim to have the Traditional single coil tone

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey aint the main difference in tone between humbucker and single coil due to larger Resistance and Inductance of the humbucker coil?

Which effectively filters out the higher frequencies more than single coil is able to do.

In that case how can you ever make a humbucker sound like a single coil?
    Stacked or not.

4. jetru

jetru New Member

And the what the hell is the difference between distortion and overdrive?

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

you cant.. .. what many pickup manufacturers do is connect the coils in PARALLEL mode as opposed to the normal SERIES MODE so that the pickup is humbucking but gives a tone like a single coil.... that is excatly what the DUNCAN DUCKBUCKER and VINTAGE RAILS does... but again it wont sound excatly like a single coli

6. ronnieanand

Claims ....Claims .....It's a big Fart......Only Single Coils sound like Single Coils...Even in Split Coil mode, it gets a hint of that Single Coil thing but Single Coils are so different all together..

7. ronnieanand

Overdrive is driving a circuit beyond its capacity, so that the distortion occurs naturally. Even in your CD player, increase the volume to full and you will notice that the clarity is lost and the distortion happens..

Distortion is done by chopping the signals to create the same overdrive effect...

As an analogy....

You eat beyond your capacity and your stomach explodes is Overdrive....
    You tie your stomach very tight, so that there's no space...Even with little food, your stomach explodes is Distortion...

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I like the way you put it.... to furthur emphasie... A higher out put pickup will push the amp HARDER providing more distortion... a lower out put pickup would give a more clearer tone....
    The excamle of the CD player can be tried on WINAMP... increase the PREAMP output and you can see how the sound will distort.. but lower it and you get more clear music.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Split coil humbusker should sound exactly like Single coil.
    Provided, the single coil OF the humbukers has same number of turns as single coil being compared, the magnet core has same strength, the winding utilizes the same gauge (and material).

No way can those two sound different, thats what laws of physics dictate.
    :aggre:

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Arent most single coil polepieces magnets ? While a HB has a bar magnet sitting under the coils, thereby a much larger area under the magnetic field??:think:I'm confused..

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Not neccsarily.... You do have single coil pickups that have their pole pieces sitting on a bar of magnet...... Infact the single coil on my neck position is made like that....

12. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

A humbucker GENERALLY/MOSTLy will have a Bar magnet sitting between and under the coils... giving a much wider Magnetic filed ....

13. ronnieanand

Laws of Physics dont work at times ..............

Example: I drink 2 Pitchers of Beer and by doing so I add in the weight of 2 Pitchers of Beer to my body weight...But then I start feeling lighter after that instead of heavier..But a third Pitcher will make me feel heavier...Why ???:think: :think: :think:

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Feel is a sensory perception.
    Is unrelated to the physical world. (Hence. laws of physics dont work on feel domain.)

Feel can be farce or hype too.

:aggre:

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

LMAO :beer:

I dont think anyone makes Humbuckers with the same specs as single coils. It would be kinda pointless. If u want a single coil, buy a single coil pup, why buy an HB?

16. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

To get a proper single coil out put after spliting your humbuker..your humbucker should be highout put inorder to get the req single coil oputput when split.... but even spliting a high out put pickup does not always give you a proper single coil tone.. evn if it gives you it would sound very diff from a conventional single coil..

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

So which one wil you call "an all-round electric"?

18. ronnieanand

IITians Banned.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Useless Buggers......

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well Tubescreamer having "magic" is one such typical "farce".
    :phbbt:

20. ronnieanand

IITian Beware .......... IITians are injurious to Music....